Thoughts on gravity and space time

In summary: But when one team gains an advantage and the flag starts to move, then the flag is at equilibrium because the two teams are now exerting equal and opposite forces on the flag.
Bucko1001
If the Mass of an object is said to warp space time, could it be said that "gravity" is really an object trying to come to equilibrium within the warped space time, i bit like a cork in water. the reason we feel force at the Earth's surface is that the Earth is already at equilibrium which prevents us from reaching the point of equilibrium.

This points to the fact that weightlessness is just the state of equilibrium within space time.

until these thoughts i used to wonder if the effects of "Gravity" would change the deeper you went into the earth. but now the effects of warped space time must permeate through all mass a bit like the C of G of an aircraft, the warping must reach end at the centre of the mass!

as this is my first time is this just stating the obvious or shall i continue

Astronomy news on Phys.org
sorry it took so long but been away. Not quite sure how to understand your link but that would be my failing. Yes you are right i did miss explain myself i was trying to suggest that Gravity is not a force of attraction between 2 objects which is how most explanations show it. my idea is that Gravity is really a pressure felt by an object which is trying to come into equilibrium within warped space time. a bit like a cork in water however this is almost a 2D explanation.

Bucko1001 said:
my idea is that Gravity is really a pressure felt by an object which is trying to come into equilibrium within warped space time.
In GR objects which are in equilibrium (free falling) simply advance straight ahead within warped space time. Just like that yellow ball in the linked animation.

This would be correct if this object was an atom, you have to understand anything that has matter/energy has a coresponding mass. . . . I think this is correct because something that is hot weighs slightly more than the same object at a cooler temperature hence energy has in some form mass, and vice versa(E=mc2). . . If you take a sphere, all the atoms in this sphere are bending spacetime individually, however the overall force makes them all fall towards the center. And since when you reach the center of the object like if there was a whole in the center of a sphere, yes eventually the effect of gravity on you becomes less and less till you reach the center where there will be no net force, But you have not reached equilibrium. Its like a game of tug of war, when the two teams are evenly matched and the flag doesn't move, its not at equilibrium because the two teams are still exerting forces on the rope.

Related to Thoughts on gravity and space time

What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around a star, and keeps the moon in orbit around Earth.

How does gravity work?

Gravity is described by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity, which explains that massive objects in space create a depression in space-time, causing other objects to follow a curved path around them.

What is space-time?

Space-time is the combination of three-dimensional space and time into a single four-dimensional continuum. It is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of general relativity and is used to describe the physical universe.

Can gravity be manipulated?

Currently, there is no known way to manipulate gravity. However, scientists are continuously researching and studying the concept in hopes of finding a way to control it in the future.

What is the relationship between gravity and space-time?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects. This means that the presence of mass or energy in space-time causes a distortion in the fabric of space-time, which we experience as the force of gravity.