Three Digital Clocks at Different Speeds

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three digital clocks with different rates and non-simultaneous readings of zero. The problem presents a chart with simultaneous readings on pairs of the clocks for four occasions and asks for the time differences between events on different clocks. The solution involves using ratios and logic to calculate the time differences.
d-rock

Homework Statement

Three digital clocks A, B, and C run at different rates and do not have simultaneous readings of zero. Figure 1-6 shows simultaneous readings on pairs of the clocks for four occasions:

___________312_________________512__ Clock A
___25______125_______200_______290__ Clock B
___92________________142____________ Clock C

For example, at the earliest occasion, B reads 25 s and C reads 92 s. If two events are 600 s apart on Clock A, how far apart are they on (A) clock B and (B) clock C? (C) When clock A reads 400 s, what does clock B read? (D) When clock C reads 15 s, what does clock B read? (Assume negative readings for prezero times.)

Homework Equations

Unsure other than possibly a bunch of ratios?

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, on the little line chart I made above, any spot where the numbers are right on top/below each other is a point where sumultaneous readings are. At the first event, Clock B is at 25 seconds while Clock C is at 92 seconds, and so on.

Since the chart was somewhat easy to read, I added up the time between 312 and 512 on Clock A, and the time between 125 and 290 on Clock B:

(A) Therefore, for on Clock A there is a space of 200 seconds while Clock B has 165 seconds. For Clock A to go 600 seconds, I multiplied the space by 3, and thus did the same to Clock B's space since they are the simultaneous, thus getting a time of 495 seconds on Clock B. The answer in the book says this is correct.

The problem I have is that I have no absolute clue on what to do or what equations to use, as I obviously cannot use the above method for part B of the question.

I'm in a college-level Physics course in my 12th grade year of High School. I've no real Physics knowledge although I have taken one part of Calculus. We have not been tought much yet but the teacher allows us to call him if we need help. I cannot reach him however and so I'm pretty much stuck.

Is there any direction that someone can at least point me in, because this is already quite confusing? I'm assuming I need some ratios or something but I cannot put it together.

This is due tomorrow and I've only had today to do it. I have other problems to do too but this is the only tough one so far.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
d d-rock,
is the line the clock interval ?

Hey, you got it right in the first part, this is really all about ratios:
What you did there is basically: (interval B/interval A) * 600 = 495
logically, all you have to do in (b) is: (interval C/interval B) * 495 =...
This is more about logic than actual physics (except when it comes to relativity principles); good luck!

Yeah I went into school early and was figuring out the ratio. I finally understood it so yeah, it's good now.

Related to Three Digital Clocks at Different Speeds

1. How do the three digital clocks at different speeds work?

The three digital clocks at different speeds work by using different mechanisms to measure and display time. Each clock has its own internal mechanism, such as a quartz crystal or an atomic oscillator, that keeps track of time and displays it digitally.

2. Can the three digital clocks at different speeds be synchronized?

Yes, the three digital clocks at different speeds can be synchronized by adjusting their internal mechanisms or by setting them to the same time manually. However, due to their different speeds, they may eventually become unsynchronized again.

3. How do the speeds of the three digital clocks affect their accuracy?

The speeds of the three digital clocks directly affect their accuracy. A clock that runs faster will gain time, while a clock that runs slower will lose time. This is why it is important to regularly adjust and calibrate clocks to ensure their accuracy.

4. Are there any practical applications for having three digital clocks at different speeds?

Yes, there are practical applications for having three digital clocks at different speeds. These clocks can be used in experiments or studies that involve measuring time at different rates, such as in physics or psychology research. They can also be used in industries that require precise timekeeping, such as aviation and telecommunications.

5. How do the three digital clocks at different speeds compare to traditional analog clocks?

The three digital clocks at different speeds are more accurate and precise than traditional analog clocks. Analog clocks rely on mechanical mechanisms, which are more prone to errors and fluctuations in time. Digital clocks, on the other hand, use electronic mechanisms that are more reliable and can display time in smaller increments.