Three-dimensional trigonometry question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving trigonometric equations and a diagram, which is attached in a Microsoft Word document. However, this format may not be accessible to everyone. The conversation also mentions that the drawing and equations in the document are incorrect, and a new drawing using Whiteboard is provided as a reference. It is emphasized that proprietary file formats and images should not be used for posting work, as it may hinder the process of identifying errors. Instead, attaching a separate image or using the Whiteboard feature is recommended.
JamesGoh

Homework Statement

See the document attached as it contains a diagram

Homework Equations

cos(theta) = adjacent/hypotenuse, sin(theta) = opposite/hypotenuse, tan(theta) = opposite/adjacent

The Attempt at a Solution

See document attached

Attachments

• Ex614q9.docx
    177 KB · Views: 195
Physics news on Phys.org
People who do not happen to have Microsoft Office cannot open your attachment.

Your drawing and work are incorrect. Here's a quick drawing I did using Whiteboard. I wrote an equation using the lengths I show on the right edge, which gives me an equation involving ##sin(\theta)## and ##cos(\theta)##. The tricky part, which leads to the answer you show, is to combine those two terms into the sine of a sum of two angles. I neglected to put in the width of the inner rectangle, which is 8.
Snapshot.jpg

To add to what HallsOfIvy said, we ask that you not put your work into a proprietary file format. For one thing, some people don't have Word and can't see what you did. For another thing, posting an image of your work is also frowned on, as it makes it more difficult for people helping you to identify exactly where you have gone wrong.

The text in your Word document should have been posted directly in the page, and your sketch could have been uploaded separately, or you could use our new feature, Whiteboard, as I did.

Related to Three-dimensional trigonometry question

1. What is three-dimensional trigonometry?

Three-dimensional trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with applying trigonometric principles and formulas to solve problems involving three-dimensional shapes, such as cubes, spheres, and cones.

2. What are the key concepts in three-dimensional trigonometry?

The key concepts in three-dimensional trigonometry include 3D coordinates, Pythagorean theorem, law of sines and cosines, and the use of trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, and tangent) to solve for unknown sides and angles in 3D shapes.

3. How is three-dimensional trigonometry used in real life?

Three-dimensional trigonometry is used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate distances, angles, and heights in 3D structures and objects, and to design and build structures with accurate measurements.

4. What are some common applications of three-dimensional trigonometry?

Some common applications of three-dimensional trigonometry include calculating the height of a building, determining the angle of elevation for a satellite dish, designing roller coasters, and creating 3D models for video games and animations.

5. What are some tips for solving three-dimensional trigonometry problems?

Some tips for solving three-dimensional trigonometry problems include visualizing the 3D shape and its components, drawing accurate diagrams, using the appropriate trigonometric formula, and using the correct units for measurements. It is also important to double-check calculations and round answers to the appropriate number of significant figures.