Three level Feynman diagramas lagrangian density

In summary, the conversation discusses drawing Feynman diagrams for a given Lagrangian density and process in particle physics. The Lagrangian density includes terms for a scalar field and a Dirac spinor, and the process involves particles F and X. The expert clarifies that the process involves F particles interacting with themselves, and that the u channel is present for the phi^3 interaction. They also mention that the X particle may only be relevant for loop diagrams.
pstq
Hi,
I am trying to figure out how to draw all the three level Feynman diagrams corresponding to this lagrangian density [tex] L = \frac{1}{2} \partial _{\mu} \phi \partial^{\mu} \phi - \frac{\mu^2}{2}\phi^2- \frac{\eta}{3!}\phi^3-\frac{\lambda}{4!} \phi^4+i \bar{\psi} \gamma _{\mu} \partial^{\mu} \psi \phi -m \bar{\psi} \psi+ig \bar{\psi} \gamma^{5} \psi \phi [/tex]
for this process [tex] F+ \bar{F} → F+ \bar{F} [/tex]
and φ is the field associated to this particle F.

So i was thinking on drawing the 3 Feynman diagram (i.e. u, s,t channels ) for every interaction term . I mean

for the interaction [tex] \phi^3 [/tex] three Feynman diagrams, whose vertex are proportional to
[tex] \eta^2 [/tex]
for [tex] \phi^4 [/tex] another three , is that right ?

the problem is that I think that we don't have u channel in the [tex] \phi^3 [/tex] case, but I am not sure why . So if someone could enlighten me about this as well, you will make another fellow human interested in particle physics very happy today.
and another question, [tex] \psi [/tex] is the dirac spinor for another particle X which is not F, would i need to take into account the last term of the above Lagrangian which is interaction term between the particles F and the others , if I am considering only the above process [tex] F+ \bar{F} → F+ \bar{F} [/tex] or not?

Any help with any question/ or any remark would be highly appreciated

thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
this is not coursework questions nor homework per se, so I hope this is the right place to post this. In case I am wrong , my sincerest apologies

pstq said:
I am trying to figure out how to draw all the three level Feynman diagrams

I guess you mean *tree* level?

pstq said:
for this process [tex] F+ \bar{F} → F+ \bar{F} [/tex]

From your Lagrangian, it looks like ##\phi## is a real scalar field. So the F particle is its own antiparticle. So I guess you are considering ##F + F \to F + F##?

pstq said:
So i was thinking on drawing the 3 Feynman diagram (i.e. u, s,t channels ) for every interaction term . I mean

for the interaction [tex] \phi^3 [/tex] three Feynman diagrams, whose vertex are proportional to
[tex] \eta^2 [/tex]
for [tex] \phi^4 [/tex] another three , is that right ?

The ##\phi^3## interaction produces three tree-level diagrams, corresponding to the u, s, and t channels. However the ##\phi^4## interaction produces only one tree-level diagram for the process you are interested in.

pstq said:
the problem is that I think that we don't have u channel in the [tex] \phi^3 [/tex] case, but I am not sure why .

There is definitely a u channel diagram.

pstq said:
and another question, [tex] \psi [/tex] is the dirac spinor for another particle X which is not F, would i need to take into account the last term of the above Lagrangian which is interaction term between the particles F and the others , if I am considering only the above process [tex] F+ \bar{F} → F+ \bar{F} [/tex] or not?

The X particle will only matter if you consider loop diagrams. Since there are no X's in the initial and final states, they can only appear in loops.

Likes pstq
It's better to ask yourself why don't you see a u-channel for [itex] \phi [/itex]? (however you saw a t-channel)

For [itex] \phi^4 [/itex] you will only get the diagram that looks like this: X
for 4 external legs...

For the last term, #2 post is totally right...

Likes pstq
thanks a lot :):):)

Related to Three level Feynman diagramas lagrangian density

1. What is a three level Feynman diagram?

A three level Feynman diagram is a graphical representation used in quantum field theory to depict the interactions between three particles. It consists of three vertices connected by lines representing the particles involved in the interaction.

2. How are Feynman diagrams related to the Lagrangian density?

Feynman diagrams are a visual representation of the terms in the Lagrangian density, which is a mathematical formulation of the laws of motion in quantum field theory. The diagrams help to simplify and visualize complex calculations involving particle interactions.

3. What is the significance of three level Feynman diagrams in particle physics?

Three level Feynman diagrams are important in particle physics because they allow us to calculate the probability of particle interactions and predict the outcomes of experiments. They also provide a way to understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe.

4. Can three level Feynman diagrams be used to represent all particle interactions?

No, three level Feynman diagrams can only represent interactions between three particles. In some cases, higher order diagrams with more particles may be needed to accurately depict certain interactions.

5. How are three level Feynman diagrams used in experimental particle physics?

In experimental particle physics, three level Feynman diagrams are used to analyze data from particle collisions and compare it to theoretical predictions. This helps researchers to confirm or refute existing theories and potentially discover new particles or interactions.