Throwing a Ball on Mars: Exploring Height, Speed, and Time

In summary: How long is the ball in the 'atmosphere' The ball is in the atmosphere for 5 seconds.(3) What is the speed vG of the ball when it hits the surface of MarsThe ball has a speed of vG when it hits the surface of Mars.(4) What is the height of the ball after exactly 5s?The ball has a height of 7 meters after 5 seconds.
wonchristy
A ball is thrown with an initial speed of v0=39.2m/s vertically to Mars. Its initial height is h=15m from the surface of mars. the acceleration of gravity on Mars is g=3.7m/s^2

(1) what is the maximum height hmax of the ball

(2) How long is the ball in the 'atmosphere'

(3) What is the speed vG of the ball when it hits the surface of Mars

(4) What is the height of the ball after exactly 5s?

(5) When the ball's height is 7m, what is the speed?

This is my homework. Could anyone explain this in the EASIEST way possible? :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show what you have tried so far?

@Rocket50

Sure, this is my very first baby thread and I almost have no background in Physics so please don't make fun of me haha

(1) So, at maximum height, v=0m/s
First I'm tried to find t
x=1/2at+vt
v=at+v0
=gt+32.9=0
gt=-32.9
t=-32.9/g
t=-3.4

it takes -
and then i don't know what to do from here

honestly that's all i hace so far.. :( i can try to work on it more and come back
we can try to do this one question by one question.. :)

thanks

(1)

yf=y0+voyt+1/2at^2?

@CWatters Hey thanks for the reply! No i am in PHYS101 so no not yet. :(

Or is this an elementary physics equation lol

I googled questions asking for maximum height and I think this person used the SUVAT equation?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 11.23.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 11.23.49 AM.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 418
Make sure when you use these equations, you use the velocity in context with respect to its meaning. Avg, initial, final, inst.

wonchristy said:
(1) So, at maximum height, v=0m/s
First I'm tried to find t
x=1/2at+vt
v=at+v0
=gt+32.9=0
gt=-32.9
t=-32.9/g
t=-3.4
If upwards velocity is a positive number, then acceleration downwards is a negative number.
t = 3.4 s
correct formula where to plug that time: x =1/2at²+vt

Then I guess one might calculate various things regarding a ball falling down from height x.

A ball is thrown with an initial speed of v0=39.2m/s vertically to Mars. Its initial height is h=15m from the surface of mars. the acceleration of gravity on Mars is g=3.7m/s^2
(1) what is the maximum height hmax of the ball

For this one I would use

V^2 = U^2 +2as

which doesn't involve time at all.

Related to Throwing a Ball on Mars: Exploring Height, Speed, and Time

1. How does the gravity on Mars affect the height of a thrown ball?

The gravity on Mars is about one-third of that on Earth. This means that a ball will not travel as high on Mars as it would on Earth.

2. How does the distance travelled by a thrown ball on Mars compare to that on Earth?

The distance travelled by a thrown ball on Mars will be shorter than on Earth due to the lower gravity. However, the difference in distance will depend on the initial speed and angle at which the ball is thrown.

3. How does the time it takes for a ball to hit the ground on Mars differ from that on Earth?

Due to the lower gravity on Mars, a ball will take longer to hit the ground compared to on Earth. This is because it will have a slower descent and a lower terminal velocity.

4. How does the speed of a thrown ball on Mars compare to that on Earth?

The speed of a thrown ball on Mars will be slower compared to on Earth due to the lower gravity. This means that the ball will have a lower initial velocity and a lower maximum speed.

5. How does the height, speed, and time of a thrown ball on Mars differ depending on its initial angle?

The initial angle at which a ball is thrown on Mars will affect its height, speed, and time in the same way it would on Earth. A higher initial angle will result in a higher maximum height, a lower maximum speed, and a longer time in the air.