Throwing A Pineapple Through A Floor

• Thread starter Hollycubed
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of throwing a pineapple through a living room floor. The variables needed to calculate this include the distance the pineapple would have to go through, the density of each layer of the floor, the mass of the pineapple, and the force that a person can throw a pineapple with. The conversation also mentions using a piece of plywood as a test. It is debated whether this is possible or not, with some suggesting it may be a trick or a play on words. The equation for calculating the penetrating power of a bullet is mentioned but it is stated that it is in "stupid units". The conversation ends with someone suggesting that the person may intend to drill a hole in the floor first.
Hollycubed
So I want to prove my friend wrong when he says he can throw a pineapple through our living room floor and I don't really know how I would calculate that.

I've determined our floor is composed of different layers, looking something like this:

------ Parquet flooring [~1 cm] (800 kg/m3)
------ Plywood [~1.3 cm] (700kg/m3)
--|---
--|--- Insulation [~15.2 cm] (500kg/m3)
--|---
--|---
------ Drywall [~0.6 cm] (800kg/m3)

I figure the variables needed to figure this out would be the distance the pineapple would have to go through (the thickness of each layer), the density of each layer, the mass of the pineapple (about 1 kg), and how much force a male can possible throw a pineapple with so I can compare.

I'm going to assume he won't hit any pipes or wires and that the pineapple won't smash and crack open by pressure just to simplify the question.

I know what information I have, and I know what I'm looking for (force)...I just don't know how to get there. It's been too long since I've taken a physics class. I think I would have to do a separate calculation for each layer. I think it has something to do with the force exerted by the layer being greater then the force exerted by the pineapple so the pineapple would go through it and it has a positive net force.

I need help though. I'm stuck! I don't know any equations that would help me figure this out. I just know using common sense, it won't work lol. :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about this! Could you throw a dense ball of rigid, dense material (a steel ball) through a floor? Perhaps if you could move the floor out to an open area and throw the ball down from a tremendous height. Otherwise, no. So how could someone throw an equally massive, but larger, softer, more deformable lump of stuff at your floor and make it penetrate? You can ask for numerical proof, but perhaps you should take it upon yourself to calculate the penetrating power of a Nolan Ryan fastball, and see what is reasonable.

I already know he can't do it. I have suggested that he just try it but he's so sure that he can, he doesn't want to put a hole in my floor.

Get him a piece of plywood and have at it.

Are you sure this isn't a trick? What exactly does he mean by throwing it "through" a floor? Maybe think outside the box?

You can do one layer at a time as a plate bending problem with the edges constrained and a force at the center. However, I think Russ has the best idea. Get a piece of 1/2" plywood and have him throw it through that first. It aint going to happen.

I smell a trick, Holly. No way can somebody throw a pineapple through your living room floor. Maybe it's just a play on words. Or maybe, maybe it'll be a really ripe pineapple. Splat! All over that parquet. Then he grins and says "Oh I guess I couldn't" before running off leaving you to clear up the mess. Pineapples are mildly acidic so maybe it would leave a stain, I'm not sure.

Maybe he's not thinking classically, but quantum mechanically.

"Pineapple" was World War II slang for "hand grenade". See also the James Bond novels, and some video games.

Though somebody got their fruit mixed up, because "grenade" comes from the French and Spanish words for "pomegranate".

I appreciate the responses! I don't think he's trying to trick me. He's also my room mate so any mess made he'd be responsible for cleaning up. He honestly believes he can do it. I'm not sure what logic he's using but he's totally serious nonetheless.

So the equation to calculate penetrating power of a bullet is W x V / 450240?
That's in really stupid units though like grains and feet per second. Is there another one that I'm missing with easier metric units?

If I figure out the penetrating power of the pineapple, how do I find out how much is necessary to break through the floor? Something to do with density and thickness I'm assuming?

Maybe somebody else can answer that, holly, I can't.

Just a thought: maybe he intends to drill a hole in the floor first. Not that he'd go through with it. But if there's already a hole somewhere, he might intend to use it. If for example there's a soil pipe running down the wall from a bathroom upstairs, all he'd have to do is chop the pineapple up and throw it down the toilet.

Related to Throwing A Pineapple Through A Floor

1. What is the science behind throwing a pineapple through a floor?

The science behind throwing a pineapple through a floor involves an understanding of force, acceleration, and impact. When the pineapple is thrown, it gains momentum and force from the thrower's arm. When it hits the floor, the force and momentum cause an impact and the pineapple's weight causes it to break through the floor.

2. Can any floor support the weight of a pineapple thrown at it?

No, not all floors can support the weight of a pineapple thrown at it. The strength and durability of a floor depends on its material, construction, and condition. Floors made of weaker materials, such as wood or thin tiles, are more likely to break compared to stronger materials like concrete or steel.

3. How does the force of the throw affect the pineapple's ability to break through the floor?

The force of the throw plays a crucial role in determining whether the pineapple can break through the floor. The greater the force, the more momentum and energy the pineapple will have when it hits the floor. This increases the chances of it breaking through the floor, especially if the floor is not strong enough to withstand the impact.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when attempting to throw a pineapple through a floor?

Yes, there are safety precautions that should be taken when attempting to throw a pineapple through a floor. First, make sure the area is clear of any people or objects that could be hit by the pineapple. Also, wear protective gear, such as gloves and eye protection, to prevent any injuries from the impact or debris. Additionally, only attempt this experiment on floors that are safe and strong enough to withstand the impact.

5. What other factors besides force and floor strength could affect the success of throwing a pineapple through a floor?

Apart from force and floor strength, other factors that could affect the success of throwing a pineapple through a floor include the weight and size of the pineapple, the angle and trajectory of the throw, and the condition of the floor. A heavier and larger pineapple will have more force and momentum, making it more likely to break through the floor. The angle and trajectory of the throw can also affect the impact and likelihood of breaking through the floor. Lastly, the condition of the floor, such as any pre-existing damage or weaknesses, can also impact the outcome of the experiment.