Throwing a plate from a third floor balcony

• Thread starter femtometer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plate
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential danger and consequences of throwing a plate at a vandal from a third floor balcony. It is suggested that this could result in serious injury and legal trouble for the person throwing the plate. Alternatives such as yelling or taking photos are also mentioned. It is emphasized that vigilanty action should be avoided.
femtometer
A friend of mine was on his third floor balcony and saw someone vandalizing a wall almost directly below on the ground. He wanted to throw a plate from the balcony at the vandal.

How dangerous would this be? If each floor is about 10 ft and my friend and the vandal are of equal height, that's about a 20 ft drop, plus whatever speed he can throw the plate... I know √(2 * (20ft / 3.281ft/m) 9.8m/s^2)= 10.9m/s, but I don't know if the throwing on top of that would be seriously dangerous.

He thinks this is not a big deal but I find this reaction very concerning. I'm not sure how worried to be if another vandal ever showed up again. I wouldn't want them to get significantly injured.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vigilanty action such as that could end up putting your friend if identified as the plate thrower, in a precarious legal situation if the vandal was seriously injured, since no other human was in danger, only the destruction of property. Better to just yell out to let the vandal know he is being observed.

I agree of course; I've made this point repeatedly to him. I just am curious about whether my fears (about the potential for serious injury) are justified.

If depends on your friend. If he is any good as a baseball pitcher, or a cricket fast bowler, or a discus thrower, he could probably throw the plate at around 100 mph. The amount of damage that would cause depends on how thick the vandal's skull was, of course.

Look at the regulations about wearing hard hats in industrial situations. They are there for a reason.
If you have a vendetta with vandals, take photographs of them in action and send them to the Police. The pen is mightier than the sword (or near equivalent).

Related to Throwing a plate from a third floor balcony

1. How far will the plate travel when thrown from a third floor balcony?

The distance the plate travels will depend on various factors such as the angle and force of the throw, wind resistance, and the weight and shape of the plate. It is difficult to determine an exact distance without conducting experiments, but it is generally safe to assume that the plate will travel a significant distance.

2. Is it safe to throw a plate from a third floor balcony?

No, it is not safe to throw a plate from a third floor balcony. Not only is there a risk of the plate hitting someone or causing damage, but the act of throwing objects from heights can also be dangerous for the person throwing the plate.

3. Will the plate break when thrown from a third floor balcony?

It is highly likely that the plate will break when thrown from a third floor balcony. The impact of hitting the ground or other objects can cause the plate to shatter, especially if it is made of fragile materials such as glass or ceramic.

4. Can a plate be thrown from a third floor balcony without causing damage?

No, it is not possible to throw a plate from a third floor balcony without causing damage. Even if the plate does not break upon impact, it could still cause harm or damage to surrounding objects or people.

5. Are there any precautions to take when throwing a plate from a third floor balcony?

It is highly recommended to not throw plates or any objects from a third floor balcony. However, if it is necessary, precautions should be taken to ensure the safety of others and the surrounding area. This includes making sure the area is clear of people and breakable objects, and throwing the plate with caution and at a low angle to minimize the risk of it breaking upon impact.