Thx for help tonight yall 3 more questions X_x

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
In summary: The plane is perpendicular to the x-axis.(C) An equation for the plane parallel to the xz-plane and passing through the point (-5,4,-4) is:attempt at solution:If it's parallel to the xz plane that means the direction on it's y component must be zero..a(x-xi) + b(y-yi) + c(z-zi) = 0a(x-(-5)) + b(y-4) + c(z-(-4)) = 0ax + 5a + by - 4b + cz + 4c = 0well b has to be zero so it
PsychonautQQ
Thx for help tonight yall :D 3 more questions X_x

Homework Statement

(1 pt)

First of all I'm a bit confused.. it wants the equation for a plane in all three questions.. the linear equation of a plane?

(A) If the positive z-axis points upward, an equation for a horizontal plane through the point (-5,4,-4) is

So it's a horizontal plane which means that the z direction number will be zero..
a(x-xi) + b(y-yi) + c(z-zi) = 0
ax - a5 + by - b4 = -
so i'll make a equal 4 and b = -5?
4x - 20 -5y +20 = 0
4x - 5y = 0

program says this is wrong..

(B) An equation for the plane perpendicular to the x-axis and passing through the point (-5,4,-4 is:

attempt at solution:
a plane that hits the x-axis at a 90 degree angel would mean that it always has the same value for x if I'm picturing this correctly? so the direction number for x would be zero i believe.

b(y-(-5)) + c(z-(-4)) = 0
by + 5b + cz + 4z = 0
so i could make b = 4 and z = -5?
4y + 20 - 5z - 20 = 0
4y - 5z = 0...

program says I'm doing it wrong X_x

(C) An equation for the plane parallel to the xz-plane and passing through the point (-5,4,-4) is:

attempt at solution:
If it's parallel to the xz plane that means the direction on it's y component must be zero..
a(x-(-5)) + b(y-4) + c(z-(-4)) = 0
ax + 5a + by - 4b + cz + 4c = 0
well b has to be zero so it's parallel to the xz plane...

so xa + 5a -cz + 4c = 0
c could be -5 and a could be 4... ?
4x + 20 +5z -20 = 0
4x + 5z = 0

something went wrong here...?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's better to post one problem per thread.
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

(1 pt)

First of all I'm a bit confused.. it wants the equation for a plane in all three questions.. the linear equation of a plane?

(A) If the positive z-axis points upward, an equation for a horizontal plane through the point (-5,4,-4) is

So it's a horizontal plane which means that the z direction number will be zero..
Any vector along the z-axis will be normal to the plane. One that comes to mind is <0, 0, 1>.

PsychonautQQ said:
ax - a5 + by - b4 = -
so i'll make a equal 4 and b = -5?
4x - 20 -5y +20 = 0
4x - 5y = 0

program says this is wrong..
Correct - this plane isn't horizontal.

PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

(B) An equation for the plane perpendicular to the x-axis and passing through the point (-5,4,-4 is:

attempt at solution:
a plane that hits the x-axis at a 90 degree angel would mean that it always has the same value for x if I'm picturing this correctly?
Yes. And what would that value be? This problem is much simpler than you're making it.

PsychonautQQ said:
so the direction number for x would be zero i believe.

b(y-(-5)) + c(z-(-4)) = 0
by + 5b + cz + 4z = 0
so i could make b = 4 and z = -5?
4y + 20 - 5z - 20 = 0
4y - 5z = 0...

program says I'm doing it wrong X_x

I don't think the concept of a normal to a plane has gelled in your mind just yet. If the plane is perpendicular to the x-axis, give me one normal to this plane.

Do you understand what the variables in this equation represent?
A(x - x0) + B(y - y0) + C(z - z0) = 0

In case you don't, n = <A, B, C> is a normal to the plane, and P0(x0, y0, z0) is a particular point on the plane.

The equation comes from the fact that if P(x, y, z) is an arbitrary point on the plane, then the vector PP0 = <x - x0, y - y0, z - z0> is perpendicular to n. Therefore, n ##\cdot## PP0 = 0. The equation above comes directly from this dot product.

Related to Thx for help tonight yall 3 more questions X_x

1. What does "Thx for help tonight yall" mean?

The phrase "Thx for help tonight yall" is a casual way of expressing gratitude to a group of people for their assistance in some task or situation.

2. Why is "Thx" spelled with an "x" instead of "ks"?

The abbreviation "Thx" is commonly used in informal communication, such as text messages or social media posts. The "x" serves as a shorthand for the "ks" sound in "thanks".

3. Who is the speaker addressing in "Thx for help tonight yall"?

The speaker is addressing a group of people, using the informal term "yall" to refer to them collectively.

4. What does "3 more questions X_x" mean?

This phrase indicates that the speaker has three additional questions they would like to ask. The "X_x" at the end is a symbol often used to convey frustration or confusion.

5. Is there any significance to the capitalization and punctuation in "Thx for help tonight yall 3 more questions X_x"?

The capitalization and punctuation in this phrase are likely used for emphasis and to convey the speaker's tone and emotions. The lack of proper capitalization and punctuation is common in informal communication, such as text messages or social media posts.