Tides & Moon Distance: Seeking Answers

In summary, if the moon was twice as far away from the Earth as it actually is, tides would be reduced.
kay89
Please help me ya'll.

"If the moon was twice as far away from the Earth as it actually is, how would tides be effected?"

Any ideas/answers?

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Tides would reduce, I'm thinking.

vincentm said:
Tides would reduce, I'm thinking.

I think you're correct.

Kay, what sort of answer are you looking for? Will "they will reduce" suffice, or are you looking for more of an quantitative explanation?

Cristo, I am definitely looking for an answer that provides some meaning. This is part of a homework assignment and I am stumped!

kay89 said:
Cristo, I am definitely looking for an answer that provides some meaning. This is part of a homework assignment and I am stumped!

If its homework related we kindly request that you show your attempt at this question before receiving any help.

2 squared is = to 4

ray b said:
2 squared is = to 4
That's fine, but the tides do not vary with the square (or even the inverse square) of distance.

To help answer both the OP and explain my response to ray b, consider the Sun. The Sun is 27 million times more massive than is the Moon and is about 389 further times distant from the Earth than is the Moon. Yet the tidal forces caused by the Sun are slightly less than half those caused by the Moon.

a quick google shows gravity
along with a lot of other stuff works on inverse square
which is what the hint was aimed at
true that's for a point
and tides are complex with many factors
but that should be close to the correct answer

ray b said:
true that's for a point

No. Try it for the sun.

ray b said:
true that's for a point
Not anywhere close to the correct answer. Look at the numbers from my previous post: The Sun is 27 million times more massive than is the Moon and is about 389 further times distant from the Earth than is the Moon. If tidal effects were indeed an inverse square relationship, solar tides would be 178 times larger than lunar tides. This is not the case. Solar tides are less than half the size of lunar tides. Tidal effects are not an inverse square relationship.

the tide would reduce by half, as it is twice the difference away :D

FAQ: Tides & Moon Distance: Seeking Answers

1. How does the distance between the moon and earth affect tides?

The distance between the moon and earth plays a crucial role in the formation of tides. The moon's gravitational pull causes the water on the side of the earth facing the moon to bulge, creating a high tide. On the opposite side of the earth, the water is pulled away, resulting in a low tide. The closer the moon is to earth, the stronger its gravitational pull, resulting in higher tides.

2. How often do tides occur?

Tides occur twice a day, approximately every 12 hours and 25 minutes. This is due to the moon's orbit around the earth, which takes approximately 24 hours and 50 minutes to complete, resulting in two high tides and two low tides.

3. Is there a connection between the phases of the moon and tides?

Yes, there is a connection between the phases of the moon and tides. During a full or new moon, the sun, moon, and earth are aligned, resulting in stronger gravitational pull, leading to higher high tides and lower low tides. During a quarter moon, the gravitational pull is weaker, resulting in lower tides.

4. Can the distance between the moon and earth change?

Yes, the distance between the moon and earth can change. The moon's orbit is not a perfect circle, but rather an ellipse, causing its distance from earth to vary. This can result in slightly different tides from month to month.

5. How do tides impact marine life?

Tides play a critical role in the life cycle of many marine species. The changing water levels can affect the distribution of food and nutrients, as well as influence breeding and migration patterns. Some species, like crabs and snails, time their activities with the tides, while others, like sea turtles, use tides to guide them in their migration.