Tiling squares on the plane, methods

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of identifying sides and rotations in a tiling on a plane. The problem is being tackled in a computer program and requires a procedure for calculating the rotation of a tile based on its coordinates. The conversation also briefly mentions the possibility of adding reflections to the tiling. The problem is described as potentially solvable through recursive equations, but the exact meaning of this is unclear.
Coin
Hm, is this the right place to ask this? It's kind of a topology question, I guess.

Let's say I've got a square. It's got four sides.

Code:
______
|  1  |
|2   3|
|  4  |
------

And I want to tile this over and over on the plane.
Code:
------------------------
But! Sometimes, as I place the tiles, I want them to rotate.

Code:
------------------------

If you think about it, both of these tilings are defined by "identifying" sides. In the first, normal tiling, I identified the following sides:
(2,3)
(1,4)

In the second, rotated tiling, I identified:
(1,2)
(3,4)

Here (1, 2) being "identified" means that if you go off the edge of side 1, you'll find yourself just on the other side of side 2.

This all make sense?

So, here's my problem:

I'm doing this in a computer program. And once I've chosen the side identifications, I want to draw the tiling on the screen. So every time I draw a tile, I have a tile coordinate, say, [0,0] or [3,4]-- [3,4] meaning, like, the third tile over on the x-axis and the fourth tile up on the y axis. If that makes sense?

So given only that coordinate, I need to figure out: This tile I'm about to draw, what amount of rotation does it have?

In other words, I need some procedure for calculating the function
R(x,y)
Where R returns, for the tile at the coordinate x,y, is it rotated 0, 90, 180, or 270 degrees?

So my second tiling above would look like:

Code:
T(0,0) T(0,1) T(0,2) T(0,3)
0      90     0      90
---------------------------

---

...It actually gets worse. Once I have this worked out, I have to figure out what happens if I add reflections-- I.E. with reflections a set of identfications might be
(2,3)T
(1,4)
...T for twisted, such that the tiling looks like:

Code:
------------------------

---

Does the question I'm asking make sense, and does anyone have any insight on this? It seems like this ought to be a problem that someone, somewhere has had to solve before.

The annoying thing about this problem is that if I needed the reverse of what I need, that would be easy-- if I had the function R(x,y) I could easily calculate the (1,3)+(2,4) mappings from it, by just querying R(0,0), R(1,0), R(1,1), etc until I had all the sides accounted for. But going the other way around seems difficult or at least very nonobvious.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect you can get your answer simply by setting up a (family of) recursive equation(s), and then solving it (them).

Hurkyl said:
I suspect you can get your answer simply by setting up a (family of) recursive equation(s), and then solving it (them).

Hm, I'm sorry but I'm afraid I'm not really sure what "recursive equations" means in this case? The only examples of "recursive equations" I can think of would involve something transforming over time, which isn't at all happening here... hm.

Related to Tiling squares on the plane, methods

What is the purpose of tiling squares on the plane?

The purpose of tiling squares on the plane is to find ways to cover a specific area with a specific shape, in this case, squares. This can have practical applications in fields such as architecture, art, and computer graphics.

What are some common methods used for tiling squares on the plane?

Some common methods used for tiling squares on the plane include regular tiling, semi-regular tiling, and aperiodic tiling. Regular tiling involves using only one type of square and arranging them in a repeating pattern. Semi-regular tiling uses more than one type of square, but still follows a specific pattern. Aperiodic tiling does not have a repeating pattern and can create unique and interesting designs.

Are there any rules or restrictions for tiling squares on the plane?

Yes, there are several rules and restrictions that must be followed when tiling squares on the plane. These include making sure that the squares fit together without overlapping or leaving gaps, and that the resulting pattern is symmetrical. Additionally, there are mathematical rules that govern how many different types of squares can be used in a tiling.

What is the difference between regular and irregular tiling?

Regular tiling follows a specific pattern and uses only one type of square, while irregular tiling does not have a repeating pattern and can use multiple types of squares. Regular tiling is often used for practical purposes, while irregular tiling is used for more artistic or creative purposes.

How is tiling squares on the plane related to other areas of mathematics?

Tiling squares on the plane involves concepts from geometry, such as symmetry and tessellation. It also connects to number theory and discrete mathematics, as tiling can be used to study patterns and structures in numbers. Additionally, the study of tiling can also involve the use of algorithms and computer programming.