Time and Distance Calculations for Road Trip from Dallas to Chicago

• Thread starter taraxrose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses Jerry, Kramer, Elaine, and Newman's travel times and speeds on a trip from Dallas to Chicago. Jerry leaves at 7:12 AM, averaging 64 mi/h, while Kramer leaves at 6:38 AM, averaging 71 mi/h. Elaine leaves at 5:55 AM, averaging 66 mi/h, and Newman leaves Chicago at the same time as Kramer, at a speed of 75 mi/h. The questions asked are at what time Jerry passes Newman and what percentage of the trip Elaine has completed when Newman has completed 70% of his trip. To solve these questions, one must consider the times and speeds at which each person arrives at their destination and the variables that are the
taraxrose

Homework Statement

Jerry Kramer and Elaine are driving from Dallas to Chicago, a distance of 925 mi. Jerry leaves at 7:12 AM and averages 64 mi/h. Kramer leaves at 6:38 AM and averages 71 mi/h. Elaine leaves at 5:55 AM and averages 66 mi/h. Newman departs Chicago heading for Dallas at the same time Kramer leaves at a speed of 75 mi/h.

c. At what time does Jerry pass Newman?
d. What percentage of the trip has Elaine completed at the time Newman has completed 70% of his trip?

Homework Equations

I have no idea, sorry, other than the speed equation maybe that I already used. I have no idea how to answer those questions although I know it should be easy.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know they end up at their destinations at these times:
Newman: 6:58 PM
Kramer: 7:39 PM
Jerry: 9:39 PM
Elaine: 9:04 PM

Physics news on Phys.org
c) Where is Newman when Jerry leaves Dallas? What is their speed difference?

d) If Newman leaves at 6:38 AM and arrives at 6:58 PM, when did he complete 70% of his trip?

Those are questions you should ask yourself to solve problems like that.

You should also ask yourself what variables are the same for Newman when Jerry when they pass.

Related to Time and Distance Calculations for Road Trip from Dallas to Chicago

1. What is time?

Time is a concept used to measure the duration of events or the intervals between them. It is often described as the progression of events from the past, through the present, and into the future.

2. How is time measured?

Time can be measured in various units such as seconds, minutes, hours, days, months, and years. These units are based on the Earth's rotation and orbit around the sun.

3. What is the difference between GMT and UTC?

GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) is the time at the Greenwich meridian, while UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) is a time standard based on the atomic clock. They are often used interchangeably and have a difference of only a few milliseconds.

4. What is a leap year?

A leap year is a year that contains an extra day (February 29th) to keep the calendar year synchronized with the astronomical year. It occurs every four years, except for years that are divisible by 100 but not by 400.

5. How does daylight saving time work?

Daylight saving time is a practice of advancing the clock by one hour during the summer months to have more daylight in the evenings. It is typically used in regions that have longer daylight hours during the summer. The clock is set back to standard time in the fall.