Time Averages and Phasors in Electrical Circuits

In summary: Not only elements involving derivatives. Elements involving integrals too. In the case of electrical elements, these involve capacitors and inductors.If you apply the Laplace transform to an integro-differential equation, the derivatives become s and the integrals, 1/s, where s = \sigma + j\omega is the Laplace variable.The real term \sigma corresponds to the transient response, while the imaginary term j\omega corresponds to the steady state response.If you are interested only in the steady state, you replace s by j\omega...
jeff1evesque
Current and Phasors

Statement:
A simple circuit is given, such that the AC power source "V" is in parallel with a resistor "G" (why would it be denoted by G instead of R?), and also parallel with a capacitor "C".

Relevant equations:
Converting the circuit to phasors, the current from the source is given by:
[tex]I = GV + C\frac{dV}{dt} = GV + j\omega CV[/tex] (#1)

I know [tex]I = \frac{V}{R}, C\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex] are equations of ohm's law for a resistor and capacitor respectively. I also know by Kirchhoff's law the sum of the

"branches" is equal to the main source.

My Question:
I am not sure what the symbol "G" denotes (in my notes I wrote that G = 1/R), nor sure how to get the second equality in equation (#1). I wrote in my notes that GV is a

constant so there is no derivative of it. But how do we take the phasor form (and derivative?) of [tex]GV + C\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex]

thank you,

JL

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

jeff1evesque said:
Statement:
A simple circuit is given, such that the AC power source "V" is in parallel with a resistor "G" (why would it be denoted by G instead of R?), and also parallel with a capacitor "C".

Relevant equations:
Converting the circuit to phasors, the current from the source is given by:
[tex]I = GV + C\frac{dV}{dt} = GV + j\omega CV[/tex] (#1)

I know [tex]I = \frac{V}{R}, C\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex] are equations of ohm's law for a resistor and capacitor respectively. I also know by Kirchhoff's law the sum of the

"branches" is equal to the main source.

My Question:
I am not sure what the symbol "G" denotes (in my notes I wrote that G = 1/R), nor sure how to get the second equality in equation (#1). I wrote in my notes that GV is a

constant so there is no derivative of it. But how do we take the phasor form (and derivative?) of [tex]GV + C\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex]

thank you,

JL

G is the notation for conductance, the inverse of resistance. Ohm's law can be written
V = RI
or
I = GV.
GV is not a constant, since V is variable. To derive GV, follow the rule of derivation of a function (V) multiplied by a constant (G).

CEL said:
G is the notation for conductance, the inverse of resistance. Ohm's law can be written
V = RI
or
I = GV.
GV is not a constant, since V is variable. To derive GV, follow the rule of derivation of a function (V) multiplied by a constant (G).

I almost understand, but I still don't know how the phasor form from my question.

Last edited:

jeff1evesque said:
I almost understand, but I still don't know how the phasor form from my question.

The current GV is in phase with the voltage. The current [tex]j \omega CV[/tex] is 90 degrees out of phase with the voltage.

I'm guessing that's the same as writing [tex]\frac{Vcos(\omega t + \theta - 90\circ)}{\frac{1}{\omega C}} = \frac{Vsin(\omega t + \theta)}{\frac{1}{\omega C}}?[/tex]
Thanks

Last edited:
But why is there no imaginary "j" term in the notation above to match [tex]j\omega CV?[/tex]. I've derived the equation above by assuming the power source is given by the equation [tex]Vcos(\omega t)[/tex]. Since the current though a capacitor is defined by [tex]C\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex], then we can write [tex]C\frac{d(Vcos(\omega t))}{dt} = \frac{Vsin(\omega t + \theta)}{\frac{1}{\omega C}}}.[/tex]

Last edited:
jeff1evesque said:
But why is there no imaginary "j" term in the notation above to match [tex]j\omega CV?[/tex]. I've derived the equation above by assuming the power source is given by the equation [tex]Vcos(\omega t)[/tex]. Since the current though a capacitor is defined by [tex]C\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex], then we can write [tex]C\frac{d(Vcos(\omega t))}{dt} = \frac{Vsin(\omega t + \theta)}{\frac{1}{\omega C}}}.[/tex]

Because [tex]j\omega[/tex] corresponds to [tex]\frac{d}{dt}[/tex]

CEL said:
Because [tex]j\omega[/tex] corresponds to [tex]\frac{d}{dt}[/tex]

So anything involving derivatives (rates), in particular capacitors only have imaginary components? And anything that doesn't involve derivatives, such as resistors- like lightbulbs or whatever- only have real components? If this is true, do you mind explaining why that is so?

Thanks so much,JL

Last edited:
jeff1evesque said:
So anything involving derivatives (rates), in particular capacitors only have imaginary components? And anything that doesn't involve derivatives, such as resistors- like lightbulbs or whatever- only have real components? If this is true, do you mind explaining why that is so?

Thanks so much,

JL

Not only elements involving derivatives. Elements involving integrals too. In the case of electrical elements, these involve capacitors and inductors.
If you apply the Laplace transform to an integro-differential equation, the derivatives become s and the integrals, 1/s, where [tex]s = \sigma + j\omega[/tex] is the Laplace variable.
The real term [tex] \sigma[/tex] corresponds to the transient response, while the imaginary term [tex]j\omega[/tex] corresponds to the steady state response.
If you are interested only in the steady state, you replace s by [tex]j\omega[/tex] .

Related to Time Averages and Phasors in Electrical Circuits

1. What is a time average and how is it calculated?

A time average is the average value of a periodic signal over a specific time period. It is calculated by dividing the total value of the signal over a given time period by the length of the time period.

2. How are time averages and phasors related?

Time averages and phasors are mathematically related through the Fourier transform. Phasors represent the magnitude and phase of a sinusoidal signal, while time averages represent the average value of the signal over time.

3. Can time averages be used to analyze non-sinusoidal signals?

Yes, time averages can be used to analyze non-sinusoidal signals by breaking them down into their Fourier components and calculating the average value of each component over a specific time period.

4. What is the purpose of using phasors in electrical engineering?

Phasors are used in electrical engineering to simplify the analysis of AC circuits. They allow us to represent sinusoidal signals as a single complex number, making calculations and circuit analysis more efficient.

5. How can phasors be represented graphically?

Phasors can be represented graphically as vectors in the complex plane. The magnitude of the vector represents the amplitude of the signal, and the angle of the vector represents the phase of the signal.