Time constant of a Toroidal Solenoid

In summary, the conversation discusses the changes in resistance, time constant, and other variables when the number of loops in a solenoid is doubled. It is determined that the time constant will be two times longer due to a factor of 4 increase in self inductance and a factor of 2 increase in resistance. The equation for resistance in terms of resistivity, length, and cross-sectional area of the wire is also mentioned.
Abo
Homework Statement
It says that you have a Toroidal Solenoid that has a certain self inductance L and an inner resistance (self resistance) R. So it has a time constant (tawo). Now if you double the number of loops of this solenoid, without changing anything else, what will the time constant be?
Relevant Equations
Φ = B * A
B = (μ0 * N * I) /2 π r
L = N (Φ / I)
Is my solution reasonable?
What I got from my first attempt is that the time constant won't change. WHY? Because when we double the number of loops (N) we're going to have new values for both the self inductance and the resistance of the solenoid and so the ratio (L/R) stays the same. Here is a photo of my solution .

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your derivation of ##R_2=4R_1##. What is the equation for the resistance in terms of the resistivity, length and cross sectional area of the wire? What changes and what does not when you double the number of loops?

Likes Abo
resistance = resistivity * length / area
well it is obvious that the resistance will increase when using a longer wire.

length = N * (μ0 * I)/B
is it right to say that"double N" gives us "double length" here?
if so it is, then R2 = 2R1
and the time constant will be two times longer.
Am I right this time? :smile:

You are right. The time constant is ##\tau=L/R##. ##L## increases by a factor of 4, ##R## increases by a factor of 2, therefore the ratio increases by a factor of ##4/2=2##.

Likes Abo
Thank you for taking the time to answer! :smile: I appreciate it!

You are welcome.

Related to Time constant of a Toroidal Solenoid

What is the time constant of a Toroidal Solenoid?

The time constant of a Toroidal Solenoid is a measure of the time it takes for the current in the solenoid to reach approximately 63.2% of its maximum value when a constant voltage is applied.

How is the time constant of a Toroidal Solenoid calculated?

The time constant can be calculated by dividing the inductance of the solenoid by the resistance of the circuit it is connected to. It is represented by the symbol τ (tau) and is measured in seconds.

What factors affect the time constant of a Toroidal Solenoid?

The time constant is affected by the inductance of the solenoid, the resistance of the circuit, and the capacitance of any components connected in parallel to the solenoid. It also depends on the material and dimensions of the solenoid.

Why is the time constant important in a Toroidal Solenoid?

The time constant is important because it determines how quickly the solenoid can reach its maximum current and how long it takes for the current to decay when the voltage is removed. It is also used to calculate the energy stored in the solenoid's magnetic field.

How can the time constant of a Toroidal Solenoid be changed?

The time constant can be changed by altering the inductance or resistance of the circuit. It can also be changed by adjusting the voltage applied to the solenoid or by using different materials or dimensions for the solenoid. Additionally, adding or removing components in parallel to the solenoid can also affect the time constant.