Time constant of an inductor coil

In summary, when the coil is shorted, there will be no induced EMF across the terminals of the coil. When the coil is shorted, the potential difference across the coil is zero (because of the wire placed across it or is it equal to the induced EMF(because of the change in current)?
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

inductor1.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can solve this problem . But I am bit unsure about how current changes in the circuit and the coil when it is shorted .

Before the coil is shorted , there will be no induced EMF across the terminals of the coil .

When the coil is shorted , is the potential difference across the coil zero (because of the wire placed across it or is it equal to the induced EMF(because of the change in current ) ?

Attachments

• inductor1.png
    inductor1.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,210
Physics news on Phys.org
For this one, you don't need to know any electrical circuit theory. All you need is the definition of time constant ## t_c ##: For a function ## I(t) ## that obeys ## I(t)=I_o e^{-t/t_c} ##, it is said to have time constant ## t_c ##.

Charles Link said:
For this one, you don't need to know any electrical circuit theory.

But I am interested in the circuit theory :smile:

Could you clear my doubts .

With no voltage source in the circuit, it obeys ## L \frac{dI}{dt}+IR=0 ## where there must necessarily be some small resistance ##R ##. This differential equation has a solution of the form ## I(t)=I_o e^{-R t/L } ## so that ## t_c=\frac{L}{R} ##.

Likes Jahnavi
Charles Link said:
With no voltage source in the circuit, it obeys ## L \frac{dI}{dt}+IR=0 ## where there must necessarily be some small resistance ##R ##. This differential equation has a solution of the form ## I(t)=I_o e^{-R t/L } ## so that ## t_c=\frac{L}{R} ##.

When the inductor is shorted , what happens to the battery ? I think it remains connected .

Jahnavi said:
When the inductor is shorted , what happens to the battery ? I think it remains connected .
In a very simple circuit, you have a DC voltage ## V_o ##, a resistor ## R_1 ## and an inductor in series. The current in the inductor will be ## I_o=\frac{V_o}{R_1} ##. You then short circuit the inductor, so that the only resistance in the inductor part of the circuit will be a very small resistance ## R ## which is mostly from the wires making up the inductor. The battery and resistor ## R_1 ## still have current ## I_o=\frac{V_o}{R_1} ## and the current for this part of the circuit will also be in the short-circuit wire. (If I could draw a picture, it would be easier).

This is the picture I have in my mind .
LR circuit.jpg

Assume R to be the internal resistance of the coil . Initially S1 is closed and a constant current E/R is flowing through the coil .

Then coil is short circuited by closing switch S2 while keeping S1 closed . Are you interpreting it similarly or are you opening S1 while closing S2 ?

I suppose the two interpretations of shorting the coil are different .

Attachments

• LR circuit.jpg
    LR circuit.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 519
I have another (larger) resistor ## R_1 ## right next to the battery. That way when ## S_2 ## is closed , there is no need to open ## S_1 ## at the same time. And to be more exact ## I_o=\frac{V_o}{R_1+R } ##.## \\ ## And what happens with the inductor is it acquires an EMF ## \mathcal{E}=L \frac{dI}{dt} ## that tries to maintain the current in the inductor and the EMF attempts to keep the current from changing.

Likes Jahnavi
OK . Thanks :smile:

After S2 is closed (keeping S1 closed) , what will be the current through the large resistor R1 (next to the battery) ?

The large resistor ## R_1 ## next to the battery will have current ## I=\frac{V_o}{R_1} ##. Actually, you could let ## R_1 ## and ## R ## be whatever resistor values you want, and the current in the inductor circuit, after it is short-circuited will have ## I(t)=I_o e^{-R t/L} ## where ## I_o=\frac{V_o}{R_1+R} ##.

Likes Jahnavi
OK .

So the current through R1 remains constant even after the coil is shorted (after closing S2) ?

And the current through S2( middle branch) will be the sum of the currents through R1 and Coil/R . Right ?

Does that mean the current through the coil decays through the middle wire without affecting the branch containing the battery and R1 ?

Does that also mean that the induced EMF in the coil does not disturb the current through the battery and R1 ?

See also a couple items I added to the previous post. ## \\ ## There will be a change in the current through the battery because initially ## I_b=\frac{V_o}{R_1+R} ## and after switch ## S_2 ## is closed, ## I_b=\frac{V_o}{R_1} ##. ## \\ ## And ## S_2 ## is assumed to be a short-circuit, so once ## S_2 ## is closed, the battery can not tell what the inductor is doing, i.e. it will not be affected by any EMF's that the inductor generates.

Likes Jahnavi
OK .

After S2 is closed current through S2( middle branch) will be the sum of the currents through R1(constant value) and Coil/R(varying) . Right ?

The current flowing through S2 will be varying ?

Does that mean the current through the coil decays through the middle wire while the current through the battery remains constant with a value Vo/R1 ?

The current from the inductor will always go from right to left through ## S_2 ## in the way you drew it, and that current, (which is time varying, ## I(t)=I_o e^{-Rt/L} ##, and eventually drops to zero) is superimposed on a left to right DC current of ## I=\frac{V_o}{R_1} ## from the battery portion of the circuit. Once the inductor current goes to near zero, the current in ## S_2 ## will be left to right and will be ## I=\frac{V_o}{R_1} ##. So that ## I(t)_{S_2}=\frac{V_o}{R_1}-\frac{V_o}{R_1+R} e^{-Rt/L} ## (with left to right as positive). ## \\ ## And yes, you are correct=the current in the battery stays constant once the switch ## S_2 ## is closed. :)

Last edited:
Likes Jahnavi
Wow !

Back to the original question I asked in the OP .

Jahnavi said:
When the coil is shorted , is the potential difference across the coil zero (because of the wire placed across it or is it equal to the induced EMF(because of the change in current ) ?

I think potential difference across the terminals of the coil will be 0 .The entire induced EMF will drop across the internal resistance of the coil .

Correct ?

Jahnavi said:
Wow !

Back to the original question I asked in the OP .
I think potential difference across the terminals of the coil will be 0 .The entire induced EMF will drop across the internal resistance of the coil .

Correct ?
If you add a resistor ## R ## in the circuit, then you find there is a voltage generated by the inductor. Otherwise, (if ## R ## is simply inside the inductor), if you put a voltmeter across ## S_2 ##, (to measure the inductor voltage), you would measure zero, because the resistive voltage drop is internal to the inductor, just as you stated. Yes, you have that correct. :)

Likes Jahnavi
Charles Link said:
I have another (larger) resistor ## R_1 ## right next to the battery. That way when ## S_2 ## is closed , there is no need to open ## S_1 ## at the same time.

Why is it that books invariably open S1 just after S2 is closed ? Every book does that :rolleyes: .

Is it to protect the battery from getting damaged by a flow of large current?

And since you put a large resistor , this possibility was eliminated because the current was limited ?

Likes Charles Link
Thank you so much Charles !

You are quite amazing :smile:

Related to Time constant of an inductor coil

Question 1: What is the time constant of an inductor coil?

The time constant of an inductor coil is a measure of the rate at which a current changes as it flows through the coil. It is determined by the inductance of the coil and the resistance of the circuit it is connected to.

Question 2: How is the time constant of an inductor coil calculated?

The time constant of an inductor coil is calculated by dividing the inductance of the coil by the resistance of the circuit it is connected to. This can be represented by the formula: τ = L/R, where τ is the time constant, L is the inductance, and R is the resistance.

Question 3: Why is the time constant of an inductor coil important?

The time constant of an inductor coil is important because it determines the behavior of the current flowing through the coil. It is used to analyze and predict the response of the circuit to changes in the input voltage or current.

Question 4: How does the time constant of an inductor coil affect the circuit's response?

The time constant of an inductor coil affects the circuit's response by determining the speed at which the current changes in the circuit. A smaller time constant results in a faster response, while a larger time constant results in a slower response.

Question 5: How does the time constant of an inductor coil differ from a capacitor's time constant?

The time constant of an inductor coil and a capacitor's time constant are related, but they represent different aspects of a circuit's behavior. The time constant of an inductor coil is a measure of how quickly the current changes, while a capacitor's time constant is a measure of how quickly the voltage changes.