Time dependent Resistance in an RC-circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses an RC-circuit with a time-dependent resistance and its behavior during discharge. The equation for the charge at time t is given and the attempt at a solution involves substituting the time-dependent resistance into the equation. Suggestions are given to solve the problem without using differential equations. Eventually, it is realized that the equation was written down incorrectly and the correct solution is found.
gonzalesdp

Homework Statement

You have an RC-circuit with emf E, resistance R, and Capacitance C. However, R = R(t) = R_o(t/tao+1)^-1, where R_o is the intitial resistance. Assume that other than the time-dependent resistance, the circuit behaves normally.

Homework Equations

Show that during discharge the charfe at time t is given by

q(t) = q_oe^{-t(t/2tao+1)/R_oC} where q_o is the initial charge on the capacitor.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know to find q(t) of a simple RC-circuit you need to use basic differential equations. (a course which I have not taken yet). I've tried to simply substitue R(t) for R in the equation

q(t) = q_oe^(-S dt/RC)
(the "S" is the great s for integration, I'm not sure how it should be notated.)

This isn't working though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kirchhoff's Laws give: ℇ ‒ IR ‒ q/C = 0.

I = dq/dt .

Not quite sure about your R.

Is it: [tex]R(t)=R_0\left(\frac{t}{\tau}\ +1\right)^{-1}\ ?[/tex]

gonzalesdp said:
I know to find q(t) of a simple RC-circuit you need to use basic differential equations. (a course which I have not taken yet). I've tried to simply substitue R(t) for R in the equation

q(t) = q_oe^(-S dt/RC)
(the "S" is the great s for integration, I'm not sure how it should be notated.)

If you did not learn how to solve a differential equation, do the opposite thing: show that the given q(t) function yields the same voltage across the capacitor (Q/C) and the resistor (IR). I hope you have learned to differentiate and you know that I=-dQ/dt in case of discharge. (The magnitude of charge removed from the capacitor in unit time (dQ/dt) is equal to the charge flowing through the loop in unit time (that is the current I). ehild

Thanks Sammy. I'll work on it a little more with your suggestions.

Thanks ehild. I don't know why but when I worked it out on my paper, I didn't realize the t/tao. I keep using t/(tao + 1). Such a dumb move on my part. Thanks again.

Yup it worked out. It's amazing that I worked on that problem for hours without realizing I wrote it down wrong to begin with. Thanks SammyS and ehild.

I'm still going to try it your way SammyS. I'd like to see how it unfolds that way. It's always good to know another way to solve a problem.

Related to Time dependent Resistance in an RC-circuit

1. What is time dependent resistance in an RC-circuit?

Time dependent resistance in an RC-circuit refers to the change in resistance over time due to the presence of a capacitor in the circuit. This phenomenon occurs because the capacitor takes some time to charge and discharge, causing the overall resistance of the circuit to vary.

2. How does a capacitor affect the resistance in an RC-circuit?

A capacitor acts as a temporary energy storage device in an RC-circuit. When the capacitor is charging, it resists the flow of current, thus increasing the overall resistance. On the other hand, when the capacitor is discharging, it allows more current to flow, decreasing the resistance.

3. How is time dependent resistance calculated in an RC-circuit?

The time dependent resistance in an RC-circuit can be calculated using the formula R = t/RC, where R is the time dependent resistance, t is the time in seconds, and RC is the product of the resistance of the circuit and the capacitance of the capacitor.

4. What factors can affect the time dependent resistance in an RC-circuit?

The time dependent resistance in an RC-circuit can be affected by various factors such as the capacitance and resistance values of the circuit, the type of capacitor used, and the voltage applied to the circuit. Additionally, the shape and size of the capacitor can also impact the time dependent resistance.

5. How is time dependent resistance used in practical applications?

Time dependent resistance in an RC-circuit is commonly used in applications such as filters, timing circuits, and oscillators. It is also used in electronic devices to control the flow of current and to create a time delay.