Time Dependent Schrodinger Equation

In summary: V_o is the wave function's energy?No, we don't have to do that. In fact, we can't do that because the wave function doesn't have a definite energy.
MostlyHarmless

Homework Statement

Show that the wave function ##\Psi(x,t)=Asin(kx-ωt)## does not satisfy the time dependent Schrodinger Equation.

Homework Equations

##-\frac{\hbar}{2m}\frac{\partial^2\psi(x,t)}{{\partial}x^2}+V(x,t)\psi(x,t)=i\hbar\frac{\partial\psi(x,t)}{{\partial}t}##

The Attempt at a Solution

So first step is I plug in the wave function:

##-\frac{\hbar}{2m}\frac{\partial^2Asin(kx-ωt)}{{\partial}x^2}+V(x,t)Asin(kx-ωt)=i\hbar\frac{{\partial}Asin(kx-ωt)}{{\partial}t}##

From here, I have a differential equation, which, I'm pretty sure I can't solve, but I'm mostly going off the fact that the question says to show that this wave function "does not satisfy.."

But I'm really unsure on how to show this..I don't remember a lot from DiffEq, but I can see that I can't do separation of variables here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quote "I don't remember a lot from DiffEq". Time to do a good review, isn't it? To keep it simple assume V = 0 and do the partial derivatives. What do you get?

Likes 1 person
I couldn't agree more.

##\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}Ak^2sin(kx-{\omega}t){\partial}x+0=-i{\hbar}A{\omega}cos(kx-{\omega}t){\partial}t##

Why have you written [itex]\partial x[/itex] and [itex]\partial t[/itex] at the end of the partial derivatives? That doesn't make sense. Just derive two times wrt. to [itex]x[/itex] on the one side and once by [itex]t[/itex] on the other and check that the given function doesn't fulfill the equation after you've sorted out all the constants.

Likes 1 person
Got it, I've forgotten a lot. It's been over year since DiffEq, and a year before that since Cal 3. Thank you.

EDIT:

Actually, one last thing. Why can I let V=0?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I see what is going on.

This may be overly simplistic, but basically in order for a wave function to satisfy the Time-Dependent Schrodinger equation, do we have to be able to reduce the equation down to:

##\hbar\omega=\frac{\hbar^2k^2}{2m}+V_o##

Last edited:

Related to Time Dependent Schrodinger Equation

What is the Time Dependent Schrodinger Equation?

The Time Dependent Schrodinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It was developed by Erwin Schrodinger in 1926 and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state at a specific time.

How is the Time Dependent Schrodinger Equation different from the Time Independent Schrodinger Equation?

The Time Dependent Schrodinger Equation takes into account the changing state of a quantum system over time, while the Time Independent Schrodinger Equation only describes the stationary states of a system. In other words, the Time Dependent Schrodinger Equation allows us to study how a quantum system changes over time, while the Time Independent Schrodinger Equation only gives us information about a system at a specific moment in time.

What are the physical quantities involved in the Time Dependent Schrodinger Equation?

The Time Dependent Schrodinger Equation involves the wave function, which describes the state of a system, and the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system. The equation also includes the imaginary number i, Planck's constant h, and the mass and potential energy of the particle.

How is the Time Dependent Schrodinger Equation solved?

The Time Dependent Schrodinger Equation is a partial differential equation that is typically solved using numerical methods or approximation techniques. In some cases, it can be solved analytically for simple systems with known potentials. However, for more complex systems, numerical methods are often necessary.

What is the significance of the Time Dependent Schrodinger Equation in quantum mechanics?

The Time Dependent Schrodinger Equation is one of the most important equations in quantum mechanics, as it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems over time. It is used in a wide range of fields, from studying the behavior of atoms and molecules to the development of new technologies such as quantum computers. It also provides a fundamental understanding of the wave-like nature of matter and the probabilistic nature of quantum systems.