Time Dependent Wavefunction in Infinite Square Well

In summary, we have a particle of mass m confined to a space 0<x<a in one dimension by infinitely high walls at x=0 and x=a. The particle is initially in the left half of the well with a wavefunction given by $$\Psi(x,0)=\sqrt{\dfrac{2}{a}}$$ for 0<x<a/2, and $$\Psi(x,0)=0$$ for a/2 < x < a. Using the relevant equations, we find that the particle's time dependent wavefunction is given by: $$\Psi(x,t)=\sum_n^\infty \dfrac{4\sin^2\left(\frac{n\pi}{4}\right)}{n\
wigglywinks

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is confined to a space 0<x<a in one dimension by infinitely high walls at x=0 and x=a. At t=0, the particle is initially in the left half of the well with a wavefunction given by,
$$\Psi(x,0)=\sqrt{\dfrac{2}{a}}$$
for 0<x<a/2

and,
$$\Psi(x,0)=0$$
for a/2 < x < a

Find the particle's time dependent wavefunction $$\Psi(x,t)$$

Homework Equations

I think the following equations are relevant (let me know if I don't have them written down correctly),
$$\Psi(x,t)=\sum_n^\infty c_n\psi_n(x) e^{-i E_n t/\hbar}$$
where $$\psi_n(x)=\sqrt{\dfrac{2}{a}}\sin\left(\dfrac{n\pi x}{a}\right)$$
and
$$E_n=\dfrac{n^2\hbar^2 \pi^2}{2ma}$$
and
$$c_n=\int_0^{a/2} \psi_n(x)\Psi(x,0)~dx$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the time dependant wavefunction for the left half of the well. I'm not exactly sure what to do about the right half, but since the wavefunction at x=0 is equal to zero on the right half, the probabilities c_n would also be zero, so I'm thinking that the wavefunction is probably zero for the right half (so the full time dependant wavefunction for both halves would be piecewise continuous).

So for the left half of the well, I first tried to find c_n,

$$c_n=\int_0^{a/2}\sqrt{\dfrac{2}{a}}\sin\left(\dfrac{n\pi x}{a}\right)\sqrt{\dfrac{2}{a}}~dx$$
$$c_n=\frac{2}{a}\int_0^{a/2}\sin\left(\dfrac{n\pi x}{a}\right)~dx$$
so I get,
$$c_n=\dfrac{4\sin^2\left(\frac{n\pi}{4}\right)}{n\pi}$$

Then I plug this into

$$\Psi(x,t)=\sum_n^\infty c_n\psi_n(x) e^{-i E_n t/\hbar}$$
and also plugging in the equation for ψ_n(x), to get,
$$\Psi(x,t)=\sum_n^\infty \dfrac{4\sin^2\left(\frac{n\pi}{4}\right)}{n\pi}\sqrt{\dfrac{2}{a}}\sin\left(\dfrac{n\pi x}{a}\right) e^{-i E_n t/\hbar}$$

I tried to compute this on mathematica, but it didn't work (it looks like it probably diverges, but I don't know).

Does anyone know what I did wrong, or if this approach is even correct to begin with?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you wrote the expansion coefficients I think that you obtained ##c_n(t=0)##, if you use ##c_n## independent of ##t## then we speak of stationary solutions (or time independent solutions). Unless you are able to solve analitically the time dependent Schroedinger equation you can try to obtain ##c_n(t)## by plugging the series expansion of your wave function into Schroedinger equation with the initial value ##c_n(t=0)## which you calculated.

wigglywinks said:
Does anyone know what I did wrong, or if this approach is even correct to begin with?

You haven't done anything wrong.

With the coefficients you have calculated, the initial ##|\Psi(x,0)|^2## will be 0 on the right-hand side, but not for other values of t.

PeroK said:
With the coefficients you have calculated, the initial ##|\Psi(x,0)|^2## will be 0 on the right-hand side, but not for other values of t.
That's not correct. Did you plug in x=0 accidentally?

vela said:
That's not correct. Did you plug in x=0 accidentally?

The OP has the correct solution. Valid for ##0 < x < a##.

The wave function will evolve over time and be non-zero on the right-hand side.

Last edited:
It's not 0 for all x at t=0 either. That would imply the particle is nowhere.

I
vela said:
It's not 0 for all x at t=0 either. That would imply the particle is nowhere.
It's only 0 on the Right hand side, as per the definition of the initial function. It's constant probability on the left hand side.

Oh, I finally figured out what you mean. You mean 0 on the right half of the potential, not the righthand side of the equation.

wigglywinks said:
I tried to compute this on mathematica, but it didn't work (it looks like it probably diverges, but I don't know).
Did you try a finite sum of, say, 20 terms? Mathematica might choke on the infinite sum, but it has no problems calculating a partial sum.

FAQ: Time Dependent Wavefunction in Infinite Square Well

1. What is the significance of the time dependent wavefunction in an infinite square well?

The time dependent wavefunction in an infinite square well is a mathematical representation of the probability amplitude of a quantum particle at a specific position and time. It allows us to predict the behavior and evolution of the particle over time.

2. How is the time dependent wavefunction in an infinite square well calculated?

The time dependent wavefunction in an infinite square well is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation takes into account the potential energy of the particle and its mass to determine the probability amplitude at a given time and position.

3. What is the difference between the time dependent and time independent wavefunction in an infinite square well?

The time dependent wavefunction in an infinite square well takes into account the time evolution of the quantum particle, while the time independent wavefunction does not. The time independent wavefunction only describes the stationary states of the particle, while the time dependent wavefunction can describe any state of the particle over time.

4. How does the energy of the quantum particle relate to the time dependent wavefunction in an infinite square well?

The energy of the quantum particle is directly related to the time dependent wavefunction in an infinite square well. This is because the time dependent wavefunction is a solution to the Schrödinger equation, which contains the energy as a parameter. The energy determines the shape and behavior of the wavefunction over time.

5. Can the time dependent wavefunction in an infinite square well be used to calculate the exact position and momentum of a particle?

No, the time dependent wavefunction in an infinite square well can only give us the probability amplitude of a particle at a specific position and time. It cannot be used to directly calculate the exact position and momentum of a particle. However, by using the wavefunction, we can make predictions about the probability of measuring certain values for position and momentum.

Back