Time = distance/speed conversion problem

• Thread starter Mathnomalous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the velocity of light is 1.86 x 108 miles per second and the distance from the Sun to Mercury is 5.78 x 107 kilometers. Converting the units, the time it takes for light to travel from the Sun to Mercury is approximately 3.2 minutes. This was incorrectly calculated in the original attempt due to incorrect conversion of units.
Mathnomalous

Homework Statement

The velocity of light is 1.86 x 108 mi/hr. The distance of Mercury from the Sun is approximately 5.78 x 107 km. How many minutes will it take for light from the Sun to travel to Mercury?

Homework Equations

1 mi = 1.609 km
time = distance/speed
60 min/1 hr

The Attempt at a Solution

1.609 km/1 mi * 1.86 x 108 mi/hr = 2.99 x 108 km/hr

time = 5.78 x 107 km / 2.99 x 108 km/hr = 1.933 x 10-1 hr

60 min/1 hr * 1.933 x 10-1 hr = 115.98 x 10-1 min

Answer: 11.598 minutes.

That answer does not make sense to me. What did I do wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you converted km to mi incorrectly.

1 kilometer = 0.621371192 miles

rock.freak667 said:
I think you converted km to mi incorrectly.

1 kilometer = 0.621371192 miles
Yes, so one mile is 1/.621371192 km= 1.60934400 miles which is what he used. And he was converting from miles to kilometers.

However, Mathnomolous, the speed of light is 1.86 x 108 miles per second, not miles per hour!

You should have divided by 60 to convert second to minutes, not multiplied to convert hours to minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your speed of light is incorrect. It's not 2.99 x 108 km/hr, it's 2.99 x 108 m/s, which is something like 6.71 x 108 mi/hr or 186,000 miles per second.

Last edited:
I typed the problem as it appears on my chemistry textbook. I also asked the professor to do the problem in class, with the same result. I never imagined the textbook had that kind of error. Thanks for the correction. I should be able to obtain the right answer now.

Related to Time = distance/speed conversion problem

1. What is the formula for converting time to distance given a specific speed?

The formula for converting time to distance is distance = speed x time. This means that to find the distance traveled, you must multiply the speed by the time it took to travel.

2. How can I use this conversion to calculate the time it will take to travel a certain distance at a given speed?

To calculate the time it will take to travel a certain distance at a given speed, you can rearrange the formula to time = distance/speed. This will give you the amount of time it will take to travel the given distance at the specified speed.

3. Can this formula be used for any type of distance and speed units?

Yes, as long as the units for distance and speed are consistent, this formula can be used for any type of distance and speed units. For example, if the distance is given in kilometers and the speed is given in kilometers per hour, the answer will be in hours. If the distance is given in miles and the speed is given in miles per hour, the answer will be in hours as well.

4. Is there a way to solve for the speed if distance and time are known?

Yes, you can rearrange the formula to speed = distance/time. This will give you the speed at which the distance was traveled in the given amount of time.

5. What are some real-life applications of using this conversion formula?

This conversion formula is commonly used in fields such as physics and engineering to calculate the speed of objects, distances traveled, and time taken. It is also used in everyday situations, such as calculating travel time for a road trip or determining the speed of a moving vehicle.