Time elapsed along an accelerated world line

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of integration to calculate the total proper time elapsed for an accelerated frame in an inertial frame. The equations and parameters for this calculation are also discussed, including the use of the chain rule and the Minkowski signature. The correct way to write the equation for calculating proper time is also provided.
PWiz
Since an accelerated frame is at rest in some inertial frame (MCRF) only at at a particular instance, I clearly have to use integration to calculate the total proper time elapsed for the accelerated frame. If I take an infinitesimally small spacetime interval along an arbitrary timelike path, then ##dτ^2=dt^2-dx^2-dy^2-dz^2=(1-\frac {dx^2} {dt^2} -\frac {dy^2} {dt^2} - \frac {dz^2} {dt^2})## ##dt^2##.
Now my main question is how to parametrize this is terms of another variable ##θ##. If I apply the chain rule on the equation above, then
##dτ = \sqrt{\frac {dt^2-dx^2-dy^2-dz^2}{dθ^2}}## ##dθ## (note: I'm not using polar coordinates here). I'm a little unsure here: can I write the numerator as ##-η_{μν} x_μ x_ν##?
If yes, then does the equation become $$τ = \int \sqrt{-η_{μν} \frac{dx_μ dx_ν}{dθ^2}} dθ$$ ?
EDIT: I'd accidentally written the numerator in the expression as $$x_μ x_ν$$ and forgotten to add the ##d## part.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you are changing coordinate differentials for coordinates. If you put the differentials instead it will be true, but you can simply apply the chain rule a few times instead.

Aaargh, I missed the ##d##, sorry I meant $$τ = \int \sqrt{-η_{μν}\frac{dx_μ dx_ν}{dθ^2}} dθ$$. So this is correct?

Essentially, you would typically not write the denominator as ##d\theta^2## but instead use derivatives.

Oh, and the indices on your coordinate differentials should be contravariant.

Alright thanks. So the correct way to write it is $$τ = \int \sqrt{-η_{μν} \frac{dx^μ}{dθ} \frac{dx^ν}{dθ}} dθ$$?

Yes, assuming your metric convention is -+++.

Yes, I'm using the Minkowski signature. I actually wanted to write down the matrix for complete clarity, but I'm not able to do it with Latex (I tried reading the guide as well). Can you please post it so that I can take a look at the code?

You mean
[tex]
τ = \int \sqrt{ -
\begin{bmatrix}\dot t & \dot x & \dot y & \dot z\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
-1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \\
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}\dot t \\ \dot x \\ \dot y \\ \dot z\end{bmatrix}
} \, d\theta
[/tex]where
[tex]
\dot t = \frac{dt}{d\theta}
[/tex]etc? (In units where c = 1).

Yes! Thanks :)

Related to Time elapsed along an accelerated world line

What is "time elapsed along an accelerated world line"?

Time elapsed along an accelerated world line refers to the amount of time that has passed for an object or observer that is moving along a curved or accelerated path in space-time.

How is "time elapsed along an accelerated world line" different from regular time?

The concept of "time elapsed along an accelerated world line" takes into account the effects of acceleration and gravity on the passage of time, which can cause time to pass at different rates for different observers.

Why is the concept of "time elapsed along an accelerated world line" important in physics?

Understanding the concept of "time elapsed along an accelerated world line" is crucial for accurately describing and predicting the behavior of objects in motion, particularly in situations involving high speeds or strong gravitational forces.

How is "time elapsed along an accelerated world line" measured?

The time elapsed along an accelerated world line can be measured using special relativity equations, which take into account factors such as the velocity and acceleration of the object, as well as the strength of the gravitational field it is moving through.

What are some real-world applications of the concept of "time elapsed along an accelerated world line"?

The concept of "time elapsed along an accelerated world line" has many practical applications, including in GPS technology, where it is used to accurately calculate the position and time of satellites in orbit. It is also important in understanding the behavior of objects in space and in predicting the effects of gravitational forces on space travel.