Time Evolution After Sudden Potential Change

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability distribution in position and momentum space for a particle in an infinite potential well. It is described that the particle is initially in its ground state and then the potential is removed, allowing the particle to move freely. The individual then asks for help on how to calculate the probability distribution at this point in time. The suggested approach involves using the Hamiltonian and the relationship between the wavefunction at different points in time.
BOAS

Homework Statement

A particle in an infinite potential well ##V(x) = 0, -\frac{a}{2} \leq x \leq \frac{a}{2}##, and infinite elsewhere is in it's ground state. Subsequently, the potential is removed and the particle is free to move.

How does the probability distribution in x and p change immediately after the walls are removed?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have found and normalised my wavefunction in position space ##\psi (x, t=0) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} \sin(\frac{\pi x}{a} + \frac{\pi}{2})##

I have taken the Fourier transform of this wavefunction to find the wavefunction in momentum space ##\psi (p, t=0) = \frac{2 \hbar^{\frac{3}{2}} \sqrt{\pi}}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{a}} (\hbar^2 \pi^2 - a^2 p^2)} \cos(\frac{pa}{2 \hbar})##

with these, i can calculate the probability density in x and p at t=0, but i am unsure of how to proceed once the potential has been removed.

From reading the wikipedia page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamiltonian_(quantum_mechanics)#Free_particle

I think I might need to make use of this relation: ##|\psi(t)\rangle = e^{-iHt / \hbar} |\psi(0)\rangle##, where I use the hamiltonian of the free particle to compute how my initial wavefunction evolves.

I am not familiar with Dirac notation however - Is that equivalent to the hamiltonian acting on the wavefunction in the argument of the exponential?

something like ##\psi (x,t) = e^{-iH \psi(x, t=0) t / \hbar}##

Thanks for any help you can give!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am really confused.

Do I just need to make use of ##\hat{H} \psi (x,0) = E \psi (x,0)##, and ##\psi (x,t) = e^{-iEt/\hbar} \psi (x,0)##?

Using the hamiltonian for a free particle

Related to Time Evolution After Sudden Potential Change

1. How does a sudden potential change affect the time evolution of a system?

A sudden potential change in a system can cause the wave function to change abruptly, leading to changes in the time evolution of the system. This can result in changes in the energy levels and overall behavior of the system.

2. What factors determine the time evolution after a sudden potential change?

The time evolution after a sudden potential change is determined by the initial state of the system, the magnitude and timing of the potential change, and the properties of the potential itself, such as its shape and strength.

3. Can the time evolution after a sudden potential change be predicted?

Yes, the time evolution of a system after a sudden potential change can be predicted using mathematical equations and principles of quantum mechanics, such as Schrödinger's equation. However, the specific outcome may be probabilistic in nature.

4. How does the time evolution after a sudden potential change differ in classical and quantum systems?

In classical systems, the time evolution after a sudden potential change is deterministic, meaning it can be precisely predicted. However, in quantum systems, the time evolution is probabilistic and can only be described by a wave function, which represents the probability of finding the system in a certain state.

5. What are some real-life examples of time evolution after a sudden potential change?

Examples of sudden potential changes and their effects on time evolution can be seen in various physical and chemical processes, such as the sudden application of an electric field to a semiconductor material, sudden changes in temperature in chemical reactions, or sudden changes in pressure in gas systems.