Time for a block to come to a stop on a horizontal surface

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the time it takes for a block to stop on a horizontal surface covered in oil, given the viscous resistance force is a function of velocity. Equations of motion and Newton's laws are mentioned as potential approaches. It is recommended to integrate the expression for instantaneous acceleration rather than the velocity-dependent force.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I have a block of mass m on a horizontal surface, which is covered in oil. The tell me the viscous resistance force is a function of the velocity, F(v)=-cv1/2, where I am assuming c is a constant of some kind. I need to find the time that it will take for the block to stop. The initial velocity is V0 at x=0

Homework Equations

Equations of motion
Newton's laws

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that I could use ΣF=ma. Then in my equations of motion solve for a=(V-V0)/t
Since the vertical forces cancel out, the equation would then be:
-cv1/2=m((V-V0)/t)
The problem is if I want the block to stop then V will be 0 and my equation doesn't work. Since the resistance is a function of V will I have to integrate it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cocoleia said:
Since the resistance is a function of V will I have to integrate it ?
Yes, integrate. The expression (V-V0)/t represents the average acceleration over the time t. You need an expression for the instantaneous acceleration.

TSny said:
Yes, integrate. The expression (V-V0)/t represents the average acceleration over the time t. You need an expression for the instantaneous acceleration.
Do I also have to integrate F(V)=-cv^1/2 as well as the acceleration?

Cocoleia said:
Do I also have to integrate F(V)=-cv^1/2 as well as the acceleration?
I don't follow. In your equation -cv1/2=m((V-V0)/t) you need to replace the expression (V-V0)/t by an expression representing the instantaneous acceleration.

Cocoleia said:
I thought that I could use ΣF=ma. Then in my equations of motion solve for a=(V-V0)/t
Since the vertical forces cancel out, the equation would then be:
-cv1/2=m((V-V0)/t)
The problem is if I want the block to stop then V will be 0 and my equation doesn't work. Since the resistance is a function of V will I have to integrate it ?

as your force is velocity dependent write correct equation of motion
mass.rate of change of velocity = force and can then proceed further to solve it.

TSny said:
I don't follow. In your equation -cv1/2=m((V-V0)/t) you need to replace the expression (V-V0)/t by an expression representing the instantaneous acceleration.
What I'm asking is do I get the expression for the instantaneous acceleration by integrating the (V-V0)/t with respect to t ?

Cocoleia said:
What I'm asking is do I get the expression for the instantaneous acceleration by integrating the (V-V0)/t with respect to t ?
No. Just use the definition of instantaneous acceleration.

Related to Time for a block to come to a stop on a horizontal surface

1. What factors affect the time it takes for a block to come to a stop on a horizontal surface?

The time it takes for a block to come to a stop on a horizontal surface is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the block, the mass of the block, and the coefficient of friction between the block and the surface.

2. How does the initial velocity of the block affect the time it takes to come to a stop?

The initial velocity of the block has a direct impact on the time it takes for the block to come to a stop. A block with a higher initial velocity will take longer to come to a stop compared to a block with a lower initial velocity.

3. Does the mass of the block have an effect on the time it takes to come to a stop?

Yes, the mass of the block also plays a role in determining the time it takes for the block to come to a stop. A heavier block will have a longer stopping time compared to a lighter block.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the stopping time of the block?

The coefficient of friction between the block and the surface is a measure of how much resistance there is between the two surfaces. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a shorter stopping time, while a lower coefficient of friction will result in a longer stopping time.

5. Is there a way to calculate the exact time it takes for a block to come to a stop on a horizontal surface?

Yes, the time it takes for a block to come to a stop on a horizontal surface can be calculated using the equation t = mv/μg, where t is the stopping time, m is the mass of the block, v is the initial velocity, μ is the coefficient of friction, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. However, this calculation may not be accurate in real-life situations due to other external factors such as air resistance.