Time independent Schrodinger equation results (1D)

In summary, the trignometric result is the same, are both the sines and cosines there to represent both directions?No. It's just a rewrite of the other solution.
WrongMan
okay so i need some help interpreting some of the results,
so (-ħ2/2m)Ψ''=E-V0Ψ;
So i set k2= 2m*(E-V0)/ħ2
and so : Ψ''=-k2Ψ
so if V0=0 or is smaller than E, k2 is positive;
*need for help starts here*
Ψ=Aeikx+Be-ikx;
another result for this would also be only eikx so is the second term only there to represent the possibility of the wave to travel in both directions?
now for the trignometric result is the same, are both the sines and cosines there to represent both directions?

ok so when V0 is bigger than E i can just set k2=-2m*(E-V0)/ħ2 and so
Ψ=Aekx+Be-kx
there is no trig result correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
WrongMan said:
Ψ=Aeikx+Be-ikx;
another result for this would also be only eikx so is the second term only there to represent the possibility of the wave to travel in both directions?
No. The equation is time independent. The Schroedinger equation is linear, so if 1 is a solution and 2 is a solution, then A*1 + B*2 is also a solution. And you need two integrations constants to describe a particular solution of a second order differential equation.
now for the trignometric result is the same, are both the sines and cosines there to represent both directions?
No. It's just a rewrite of the other solution.
Ψ=Aekx+Be-kx
there is no trig result correct?
You can rewrite this one in hyperbolic sine/cosine. Not really trigonometric, but close.
And: these solutions can only apply piecewise, because they go to infinity far away.

Likes WrongMan
BvU said:
No. The equation is time independent. The Schroedinger equation is linear, so if 1 is a solution and 2 is a solution, then A*1 + B*2 is also a solution. And you need two integrations constants to describe a particular solution of a second order differential equation.
So if i found another function f(x) that was a solution to the differential equation it should be included?
About the direction part, i remember an problem where the wave/particle came from left to right and encountered a step with a certain lenght, there was a reflected wave on the left of the beggining of the step and one inside the step but on the right of the step there wasn't, and that translated into:
Left of the step:
e^ikx +re^-ikx
Inside:
Ae^iqx +Be^-ikx
Right of the step:
te^ikx
And so what i understood from it was that re^-ikx and Be^-iqx where about the reflected waves and since to the right of the step there was nothing "reflecting" the wave so there was no -ikx term on it; is this a wrong way of looking at it?
I don't know if this was clear enough i can provide drawings and more info about the problem if necessary (1:30 am here, so tommorow)
Thanks for your answer!

WrongMan said:
is this a wrong way of looking at it?
Just fine - but I think I remember that for ##k## the only requirement is on ##k^2##
Check the full time-dependent solution for ##\pm \hbar k \pm \omega t##

Likes WrongMan

Related to Time independent Schrodinger equation results (1D)

1. What is the time independent Schrodinger equation in 1D?

The time independent Schrodinger equation in 1D is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a quantum mechanical system in one dimension. It is used to calculate the energy levels and wave functions of a particle in a potential energy field.

2. What are the variables in the time independent Schrodinger equation?

The variables in the time independent Schrodinger equation are the particle's mass (m), the potential energy (V), the spatial coordinate (x), and the wave function (ψ).

3. How is the time independent Schrodinger equation solved?

The time independent Schrodinger equation is solved by using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, integration, and boundary conditions. The resulting solutions are the energy levels and wave functions of the particle in the given potential energy field.

4. What information can be obtained from the solutions of the time independent Schrodinger equation?

The solutions of the time independent Schrodinger equation can provide information about the energy levels and wave functions of a particle in a potential energy field. This can help in predicting the behavior of the particle and understanding its quantum mechanical properties.

5. What is the significance of the time independent Schrodinger equation in quantum mechanics?

The time independent Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. It allows us to understand the behavior of particles in a quantum mechanical system and predict their energy levels and wave functions. It is also used in various applications such as calculating the electronic structure of atoms and molecules.