Time it takes for the wheel to stop?

• Thread starter sona1177
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time Wheel
In summary: Is that correct?In summary, the potter's wheel with a diameter of 34 cm and a mass of 20 kg is spinning at 180 rpm. The potter forms a 14 cm diameter pot with a net friction force of 1.3 N. If the power goes out, the wheel will come to a stop in approximately 119.7 seconds. The moment of inertia of the wheel is 0.578, and the torque and angular acceleration equations were used to calculate the time it takes for the wheel to come to a stop in the potter's hands. Some confusion arose regarding the application of the force, but it was clarified that the torque depends on the point of application of the force. Overall, the
sona1177
A 34-cm-diameter potter's wheel with a mass of 20 kg is spinning at 180 rpm. Using her hands, a potter forms a pot, centered on the wheel, with a 14 cm diameter. Her hands apply a net friction force of 1.3 N to the edge of the pot. If the power goes out, so that the wheel's motor no longer provides any torque, how long will it take for the wheel to come to a stop in her hands?

Angular acceleration= net Torque/moment of inertia so

(1.3)(.07)/ (20 *.07^2)= .93 radians/second^2

So since angular acceleration=change in angular Velocity/time then:

-.98 = (0-19.8)/change in time so t=19.2 seconds.

Where the initial angular velocity was 19.8 by converting the 180 rev/min to 19.8 radians/sec.

So is my answer of 19.2 seconds correct?

Thank you kindly for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the moment of inertia of the wheel whose diameter is 34 cm.

So that's MR^2 which is 20 * .17^2= .578 but how does this help me?

sona1177 said:
So that's MR^2 which is 20 * .17^2= .578 but how does this help me?

angular acceleration α = (1.3)(.07)/ (20 *.17^2)= ... radians/second^2

ω = ωο - α*t

In the problem ω = 0 and ωο = 6*π radians/second.

Now find t.

Thank you but she applies the force on the pot not on the wheel so this is why I am confused.

sona1177 said:
Thank you but she applies the force on the pot not on the wheel so this is why I am confused.

Torque depends on the point of application of the force. Therefore the torque is F*r, where r is the radius of the pot. This torque rotates the wheel with an angular acceleration such that F*r = I*α.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me! :)

My answer is 118 seconds. Is that correct? Again, thank you so much for taking the time to help me! :)

sona1177 said:
My answer is 118 seconds. Is that correct? Again, thank you so much for taking the time to help me! :)

I am getting 119.7 seconds.

Related to Time it takes for the wheel to stop?

What is the "time it takes for the wheel to stop" and why is it important?

The "time it takes for the wheel to stop" refers to the amount of time it takes for a rotating wheel to come to a complete stop. This is an important concept in physics as it relates to rotational motion and can be used to calculate the kinetic energy and moment of inertia of the wheel.

How is the "time it takes for the wheel to stop" calculated?

The time it takes for a wheel to stop can be calculated using the formula T=I/α, where T is the time, I is the moment of inertia of the wheel, and α is the angular deceleration. This formula assumes that there is no external force acting on the wheel and that the wheel is rotating with a constant angular velocity before coming to a stop.

What factors can affect the "time it takes for the wheel to stop"?

The time it takes for a wheel to stop can be affected by several factors such as the mass of the wheel, the moment of inertia, the angular velocity, and the friction between the wheel and its surface. A heavier wheel or a wheel with a larger moment of inertia will take longer to stop, while a higher angular velocity and increased friction can shorten the stopping time.

How is the "time it takes for the wheel to stop" related to the concept of inertia?

The time it takes for a wheel to stop is directly related to the concept of inertia. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. A wheel with a larger moment of inertia will have a greater resistance to changes in its rotational motion, resulting in a longer stopping time.

Can the "time it takes for the wheel to stop" be affected by external forces?

Yes, the time it takes for a wheel to stop can be affected by external forces such as friction, air resistance, and any other external forces acting on the wheel. These external forces can either increase or decrease the stopping time depending on their magnitude and direction.