Time of flight objects in air versus in vacuum

In summary, the time of flight for objects in air is affected by various factors such as the object's height, air drag, and other variables such as spin, horizontal velocity, and shape. In general, objects thrown in a vacuum will have a shorter time of flight compared to those thrown in the atmosphere due to the absence of air resistance. However, the specific circumstances and characteristics of the thrown object can also greatly impact the time of flight.
Asad Raza
Hello
I needed to know a logical answer to the question that whether the time of flight of the objects in air increases or decreases as compared to vacuum? Why?

Science news on Phys.org
What do you think?

I reckon that the time should decrease as the height approached (of a vertically thrown object for instance) decreases

Asad Raza said:
I reckon that the time should decrease as the height approached (of a vertically thrown object for instance) decreases

What do you mean by "the height approached"?

Max vertical height approached

Time of flight certainly decreases as the max height thrown decreases, but your original question was about an object thrown in the atmosphere vs in space.

Oh yes! If we consider two similar heights in the journey of an object in space and atmosphere. The one in the atmosphere will take more time, I guess, since it has to sail through air drag. Right?

That's right. Air's a real drag, ain't it?!

Yes

Asad Raza said:
Oh yes! If we consider two similar heights in the journey of an object in space and atmosphere. The one in the atmosphere will take more time, I guess, since it has to sail through air drag. Right?
Details matter. Is the object at rest, falling or rising? Does it have a spin? What about its horizontal velocity? What about its shape?

Am I missing something here? I see no description at all about what kind of objects we're discussing and what is making them move. It matters a lot if we're talking about a bowling ball or a glider, for example.

russ_watters said:
Am I missing something here? I see no description at all about what kind of objects we're discussing and what is making them move. It matters a lot if we're talking about a bowling ball or a glider, for example.

Unless the question is about throwing something with a rocket engine, I don't see how any of that matters since we're talking about vacuum vs non vacuum. Seems pretty clear cut to me.

Drakkith said:
Unless the question is about throwing something with a rocket engine, I don't see how any of that matters since we're talking about vacuum vs non vacuum. Seems pretty clear cut to me.
Take, for instance, the case of a piece of [indestructible] paper hurled upward at escape velocity. It takes longer to hit ground in vacuum than in air.

Drakkith said:
If you drive a golf ball or throw a paper airplane in a vacuum it will come down faster than if you do it in air... unless it has topspin or is flying upside-down in which case it may generate negative lift and fall much faster than when either creating positive lift or thrown in a vacuum.

Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
Take, for instance, the case of a piece of [indestructible] paper hurled upward at escape velocity. It takes longer to hit ground in vacuum than in air.

russ_watters said:
If you drive a golf ball or throw a paper airplane in a vacuum it will come down faster than if you do it in air... unless it has topspin or is flying upside-down in which case it may generate negative lift and fall much faster than when either creating positive lift or thrown in a vacuum.

I see. My mistake then. I hope I haven't led the OP astray.

FAQ: Time of flight objects in air versus in vacuum

1. How does the time of flight of objects differ between air and vacuum?

In general, the time of flight of objects in a vacuum is longer than in air. This is because air resistance slows down the object's motion, while in a vacuum there is no air resistance.

2. What is the relationship between air resistance and time of flight?

The greater the air resistance, the shorter the time of flight of an object. This is because the force of air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, slowing it down and reducing its time of flight.

3. How does the weight of an object affect its time of flight in air versus in vacuum?

The weight of an object does not significantly affect its time of flight in either air or vacuum. What matters more is the shape and surface area of the object, which determines the amount of air resistance it experiences.

4. Why is the time of flight of objects in a vacuum often used as a standard measurement?

The time of flight of objects in a vacuum is often used as a standard measurement because it eliminates the effects of air resistance and allows for more accurate comparisons between different objects. It also follows the laws of motion without any external factors influencing the object's motion.

5. Can the time of flight of objects in air and vacuum be exactly the same?

No, the time of flight of objects in air and vacuum cannot be exactly the same. Even in a vacuum, there may be small variations due to factors such as the shape and surface of the object, as well as the strength of the gravitational field. Additionally, air resistance will always affect the time of flight in air, making it impossible for it to be the same as in a vacuum.

Back