Time Ordering Operator: Integrals & Step Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the rewriting of integrals from the first to the second line in a picture. The θ symbol represents the heaviside step function and the idea is to extend the integration domain from t1 or t2 to t, using the step function to make the integration over [t1, t] or [t2, t] yield zero. The conversation also mentions the time-ordering operator and its role in the solution of the time-evolution operator with a time-dependent Hamiltonian. A link to a QFT manuscript is provided for further explanation.
aaaa202
I really asked this question in another thread but it seems the original respondent gave up explaining me. My question is about the rewriting of the integrals from first to second line on the attached picture. The θ denotes the heaviside step function such that:
θ(t1-t2) = {1 t1>t2 , 0 t1<t2}
I think the idea is to extend the integration domain from respectively t1 or t2 to t but doing so we have to multiply by the step function in such a way that the integration over [t1,t] or [t2,t] yields zero. But how is this exactly related to when t1>t2 or t2>t1?

Attachments

• integral.png
    integral.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 592
Physics news on Phys.org
Have a look at p. 16 of my QFT manuscript:

http://fias.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

I hope that helps to explain the appearance of the time-ordering operator in the solution of the time-evolution operator with a time-dependent Hamiltonian (or interaction part in the interaction picture).

Likes 1 person

FAQ: Time Ordering Operator: Integrals & Step Function

1. What is the Time Ordering Operator?

The Time Ordering Operator is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to rearrange and order operators in an expression according to their time dependence. It is denoted by the symbol T and is used to ensure that operators are applied in the correct order when calculating the expectation value of a quantum mechanical system.

2. How does the Time Ordering Operator work?

The Time Ordering Operator works by rearranging the operators in an expression according to their time dependence. In general, the T operator places operators with earlier times to the left and operators with later times to the right. This ensures that the operators are applied in the correct order when calculating the expectation value of a system.

3. What is the difference between the Time Ordering Operator and the Step Function?

While both the Time Ordering Operator and the Step Function are used in quantum mechanics, they serve different purposes. The Time Ordering Operator rearranges operators in an expression, while the Step Function is used to define the time evolution of a quantum system. The Step Function is also known as the Heaviside function and is used to model sudden changes in a system.

4. How are integrals used with the Time Ordering Operator?

Integrals are often used with the Time Ordering Operator to calculate the expectation value of a quantum mechanical system. The T operator allows for the integration of operators with different time dependencies, ensuring that they are applied in the correct order. Integrals are also used to calculate the time evolution of a system using the Step Function.

5. What are some applications of the Time Ordering Operator?

The Time Ordering Operator has many applications in quantum mechanics and other fields of physics. It is used to calculate the expectation value of a quantum system, study the time evolution of a system, and solve equations of motion. It is also used in scattering theory, quantum field theory, and in the study of quantum entanglement and decoherence.

Back