Time required to build enough charge for an electric arc

In summary, a van der Graaf generator is used in classroom demonstrations to illustrate the production of large electric fields with visible arcs. The threshold field for air to reach dielectric breakdown is 3*10^6 V/m. It is unclear how the author would go from coulombs to volts with the given information. The author sets the distance to the object as 25 cm, which is the radius of the sphere, not the distance to the object. The author needs to find the strength of the field near the sphere in order to calculate the surface charge density necessary to generate an electric field of 3e6 V/m near the surface of the 25 cm radius sphere.
12emerta
A van der Graaf generator is used in classroom demonstrations to illustrate the production
of large electric fields with visible arcs. The threshold field for air to reach dielectric breakdown is
3*10^6 V/m.
In a particular demo, the van der Graaf dome is a hollow sphere of 25 cm radius that was discharged before the demo. At t=0, the charge-carrying belt is set to rotate at constant
speed so that 0.6*10^-6 C are put at the center of the dome every second. How long should it roughly take for an electric arc to form with an object held nearby?
(a) 15 s
(b) 35 s
(c) 50 s
(d) 120 s
(e) 250 s

2. 3*10^6=Voltage across gap/size of the gap

3. What I did was take 3 million and multiply by .25m. This gave me a value of 750,000 volts which is what is required for a spark to be made at that distance correct?
Now what i don't understand is how i would go from coulombs to volts with the given information

Physics news on Phys.org
For the potential near a charged sphere, there are plenty of online references, e.g. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/potsph.html. However, I don't understand why you set the distance as 25cm. That's the radius of the sphere, not the distance to the object. The distance to the object would be useful if you knew the potential of the object. By dividing the potential of the sphere by the distance to the object you are implicitly assuming that the object is grounded.
Instead, find the strength of the field near the sphere. (http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/302l/lectures/node30.html)

What is the surface charge density necessary to generate an electric field of 3e6 V/m near the surface of the 25 cm radius sphere? Very simple formula.

Btw, I believe the question ought to specify an object of zero charge, and either small or non-conducting. Otherwise it will alter the field.

As a scientist, my response to this content would be as follows:

The time required to build enough charge for an electric arc can be calculated based on the threshold field for air to reach dielectric breakdown, which is 3*10^6 V/m. This means that in order for an electric arc to form, there needs to be a voltage of 3*10^6 volts per meter of distance between the two objects.

In this particular demonstration, a van der Graaf generator is used to produce a visible arc. The generator has a hollow sphere with a radius of 25 cm, which is discharged before the demonstration. At t=0, the charge-carrying belt on the generator is set to rotate at a constant speed, adding 0.6*10^-6 C of charge to the center of the dome every second.

To determine the time it would take for an electric arc to form with an object held nearby, we can use the equation V = Q/d, where V is the voltage, Q is the charge, and d is the distance between the two objects. In this case, we know that the threshold voltage required for an arc to form is 3*10^6 volts per meter, and the distance between the objects is 25 cm, or 0.25 meters.

Using this information, we can calculate the voltage required for an arc to form at a distance of 0.25 meters by multiplying 3*10^6 by 0.25, which gives us 750,000 volts. This means that 0.6*10^-6 C of charge needs to be added to the dome every second in order for the voltage to reach 750,000 volts.

To determine the time it would take for this amount of charge to be added, we can use the equation Q = It, where Q is the charge, I is the current (which is constant in this case), and t is the time. Rearranging the equation, we get t = Q/I.

Plugging in the values, we get t = (0.6*10^-6 C)/(0.6*10^-6 C/s) = 1 second. This means that it would take approximately 1 second for an electric arc to form with an object held nearby.

Therefore, the correct answer to the question is (a) 15 seconds, as it would take 15 seconds for enough charge to be added to

Related to Time required to build enough charge for an electric arc

What is an electric arc?

An electric arc is a type of electrical discharge that occurs between two electrodes, usually made of metal. It produces high levels of heat and light, and is commonly used in welding and cutting applications.

How long does it take to build enough charge for an electric arc?

The time required to build enough charge for an electric arc depends on several factors, such as the voltage and current of the power source, the distance between the electrodes, and the type of gas or air surrounding the electrodes. On average, it can take a few milliseconds to build enough charge for an electric arc.

What affects the time required to build enough charge for an electric arc?

The time required to build enough charge for an electric arc can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the type of power source, the distance between the electrodes, the type of gas or air surrounding the electrodes, and the temperature and humidity of the environment. These factors can impact the efficiency and intensity of the electric arc.

Can the time required to build enough charge for an electric arc be shortened?

Yes, the time required to build enough charge for an electric arc can be shortened by using a higher voltage and current power source, decreasing the distance between the electrodes, or using a gas or air with higher conductivity. However, it is important to note that safety precautions should always be taken when handling high voltage and current levels.

What is the purpose of knowing the time required to build enough charge for an electric arc?

Knowing the time required to build enough charge for an electric arc is important for safety and efficiency purposes. It allows for proper planning and preparation when using electric arcs in welding or cutting applications, and helps to prevent potential accidents or damages. It can also aid in optimizing the performance of the electric arc and achieving the desired results.