Time Response of Overdamped System

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a transfer function for an overdamped system with a low settling time, which can be applied to creating faster robots. The process involves initializing the transfer function, finding the values of the quadratic equation, determining the criteria for avoiding complex poles, and finding the damping ratio and natural frequency. The end result is a second order transfer function with a settling time of 1 second, where A = B and b^2 > 4ac.
CognitiveNet
Dear PF Mentor, this is NOT homework assignment! This my own personal research intended to use a theoretical approach to develop a transfer function for an overdamped system with a low settling time. This could be used for creating faster robots.

Step 1: Initializing the transfer function
G(s) = 1 / ((s+A) (s+B))
G(s) = 1 / (s^2 + (A+B)s + AB)
if A = B
G(s) = 1 / (s^2 + 2As + A^2)
G (s) = (1/(A^2)) / (s^2 + (2A/A^2)s + 1 )

Step 2:
G = 1 / ( (1 / (natural frequency)^2)s^2 + (2* (damping ratio) / (natural frequency))s + 1

Step 3: Finding the values of the quadratic equation
a = 1
b = 2 * (damping ratio)
c = (natural frequency)^2

Step 4:

The equation for the settling time of a second order system is Ts = 4 / (damping ratio * settling time). May I remind you that in this case, the system is not critically damped, because the damping ratio exceeds 1. I'm choosing Ts = 1.

Ts = 1 = 4/(damping ratio * natural frequency) => damping ratio = 4/ natural frequency

Step 5:
Criteria: b^2 > 4ac = (2*damping ratio)^2 > 4*(natural frequency)^2
i.e. (2*damping ratio)^2 = 2*(4*(natural frequency)^2)
This way, I avoid having complex poles in my system.

Step 6: Finding the damping ratio and the natural frequency
I replace the damping ratio with (4 / natural frequency) to find the actual value of the natural frequency. This is called substitution in mathematics:

(2*(4 / natural frequency))^2 > 4*(natural frequency)^2
natural frequency = 8^(1/4), in other words; the fourth root of 8.

Thus the damping ratio = 4 / natural frequency = 4 / 8^(1/4)
Makes sense? :wink:

Step 7:
Now I can insert the values for the damping ratio and natural frequency into step 3 to find b and c.

G(s) = 1 / (s + 8^(1/4)) + (s + 8^(1/4))

Thus, I've found the second order transfer function of an overdamped system with a settling time of 1 second, where A = B and b^2 > 4ac.

Do you agree?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Not bad. You used some approximate assumptions, but it should work fairly well.

Related to Time Response of Overdamped System

1. What is the definition of an overdamped system?

An overdamped system is a type of dynamic system in which the damping force is greater than the critical damping value. This means that the system will return to equilibrium without oscillating, but it will do so more slowly than a critically damped system.

2. How does an overdamped system behave over time?

An overdamped system will exhibit a slow and smooth response to a disturbance. It will take longer to reach equilibrium compared to a critically damped system, but there will be no oscillations or overshoot. The response curve will gradually approach the equilibrium point.

3. What is the time response formula for an overdamped system?

The time response formula for an overdamped system is given by: y(t) = A + Be^(-t/τ), where A and B are constants determined by initial conditions, t is time, and τ is the time constant of the system.

4. How does the time constant affect the response of an overdamped system?

The time constant, τ, determines how quickly the system will reach equilibrium. A larger time constant means a slower response, while a smaller time constant means a faster response. For an overdamped system, the time constant is given by τ = RC, where R is the resistance and C is the capacitance of the system.

5. What are some real-world examples of overdamped systems?

Overdamped systems can be found in a variety of real-world applications, such as car suspensions, shock absorbers, and door closers. They are also commonly used in electronic circuits to filter out high-frequency noise. In biological systems, the response of certain neurons can be considered an overdamped system.

Back