Time & The Special Theory of Relativity

In summary: The principle of relativity has been consistently observed and validated through numerous experiments and observations. In summary, the principle of relativity states that no matter what velocity you are traveling at, time does not change for you. This has been observed and confirmed through various experiments and is a fundamental principle in understanding the effects of relative motion on time.
Ameer Bux
We know that clocks slow down if moving relative to something that's still and clocks speed up if still relative to something in motion. So, what if I was moving relAtive to something that's still and still, at the same time, relative to something that's in motion? How can time go quicker and slower simultaneously for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
No matter what velocity you are traveling at, time does not change for you.
Your watch will still tick at one second per second and you won't get quickly older or start ageing less.
Time dilation is an effect which observed by somebody watching you as you travel at a relativistic speed/
THEY see you ageing more slowly then them, but to YOU, nothing appears to change.

Likes Ameer Bux
Sorry let me rephrase. There's somebody moving relative to me, so they see me aging faster, and there's someone still relative to me, so they see me aging slower. How can I be growing older faster and slower simultaneously?

Ameer Bux said:
We know that clocks slow down if moving relative to something that's still and clocks speed up if still relative to something in motion.

No. All that matters is relative motion. If you and your friend each have a clock in your hands, and you move relative to each other, you will each observe the other's clock running slow.

You could say you're at rest and your friend is in motion. Or your friend is at rest and you're in motion. The two situations are equivalent.

There's no way to distinguish between a state of rest and a state of uniform motion. That was Galileo's Principle of Relativity, Newton's First Law, and Einstein's First Postulate. It has survived despite all attempts to disprove it.

Well I guess the only alternative to some kind of relativity principle has to be a proposal that there is some kind of absolute always present frame of reference.
The problem with that though is that there is no evidence at all of there being any such unique frame.

Last edited:
Ameer Bux said:
We know that clocks slow down if moving relative to something that's still and clocks speed up if still relative to something in motion. So, what if I was moving relAtive to something that's still and still, at the same time, relative to something that's in motion? How can time go quicker and slower simultaneously for me?

You are basically asking how it is can be possible that clock A is running slow compared with clock B, but clock B is also running slow compared with clock A. To answer this question we have to be clear about exactly what we're saying when we say that one clock is running slower than another, and we have to understand the role of relativity of simultaneity. (If you are not familiar with relativity of simultaneity, stop right now and google for "Einstein train simultaneity" - it is impossible to make sense of special relativity otherwise).

Suppose that we start with both clocks reading 12:00 noon at the same time. An observer at rest relative to clock A waits an hour, then checks the clocks again. Clock A reads 1:00 PM, of course, but suppose that at the same time that clock A reads 1:00 PM clock B reads 12:30 PM. We conclude that clock A is running faster than clock B. That's all there is to saying that one clock is running faster or slower than another - you see what they read at the same time, then repeat a little while later and compare the time between the two readings on the two clocks.

But now we have to remember the relativity of simultaneity. Clock B read 12:30 PM at the same time that clock A read 1:00 PM according to the observer at rest relative to clock A; according to this observer the events "clock A read 1:00 PM" and "clock B read 12:30 PM" were simultaneous. However, because of the relativity of simultaneity, an observer at rest relative to clock B does not find that those two events were simultaneous. For him the event that happened at the same time as "clock B read 12:30 PM" is "clock A read 12:15" so he concludes that clock A is running slow.

So what's going on here is that relativity of simultaneity allows the two observers to disagree about what clock A reads at the same time that clock B reads 12:30 PM, and that allows them both to correctly conclude that the other clock is the slower one.

Ameer Bux said:
Sorry let me rephrase. There's somebody moving relative to me, so they see me aging faster, and there's someone still relative to me, so they see me aging slower. How can I be growing older faster and slower simultaneously?

It's not the whole story by any means, but let me rephrase your question:

There's somebody bigger than me, so they see me as smaller than them, and there's someone smaller than me, so they see me bigger than them. How can I be smaller and bigger simultaneously?

Likes russ_watters
rootone said:
Well I guess the only alternative to some kind of relativity principle has to be a proposal that there is some kind of absolute always present frame of reference.
The problem with that though is that there is no evidence at all of there being any such unique frame.

Right. There's a lack of evidence to support the notion of a preferred rest frame. But more importantly, there's tons of evidence to support the lack of a preferred rest frame.

Related to Time & The Special Theory of Relativity

What is the Special Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity, also known as Einstein's theory of relativity, is a scientific theory that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that time and space are not absolute, but are instead relative to the observer's frame of reference. This theory is based on two main principles: the principle of relativity and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light.

How does the Special Theory of Relativity change our understanding of time?

The Special Theory of Relativity changes our understanding of time by showing that it is not a universal constant, but is instead relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that time can appear to pass at different rates for different observers depending on their relative motion. It also explains the phenomenon of time dilation, where time appears to slow down for objects moving at high speeds.

What is the concept of space-time in the Special Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity combines the concepts of space and time into one four-dimensional structure known as space-time. This theory states that space and time are not separate entities, but are interconnected and can be transformed into each other. This concept helps to explain how time can appear to pass differently for different observers.

How does the Special Theory of Relativity relate to the concept of a "cosmic speed limit"?

The Special Theory of Relativity predicts that the speed of light is the maximum speed at which all matter and information can travel. This is often referred to as the "cosmic speed limit" because it sets a fundamental limit on the speed of any object in the universe. This theory has been confirmed by numerous experiments and is a cornerstone of modern physics.

Can the Special Theory of Relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, the Special Theory of Relativity has many practical applications in everyday situations. For example, GPS systems use the principles of relativity to accurately calculate the position and time on Earth. It also helps to explain many phenomena in the natural world, such as the behavior of particles in accelerators and the formation of black holes.