Time to Hit the Ground for Thrown Rock?

In summary, the problem involves a rock being thrown vertically upward with a speed of 17.0 and a building that is 60.0 above the ground. The equation Vf = Vi + a*t was used to find the speed when it hits the ground, but the incorrect answer of t = 2.17 was obtained. The correct answer was found to be just over 5 and a half seconds.
rpgnick85

Homework Statement

A rock is thrown vertically upward with a speed of 17.0 from the roof of a building that is 60.0 above the ground. Assume free fall. In how many seconds after being thrown does the rock strike the ground?

Homework Equations

I used v^2 = vinitial^2 + 2a(y - yinitial) to find the speed when it hits the ground. I am trying to find the time and can't seem to locate a good equation to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
From your initial and final v's, you could get the time with Vf = Vi + a*t.
Or start again and use good old y = Vi*t + ½at².
Best to do it both ways as a check!

I used Vf = Vi + a*t with Vf = 38.3, Vi = 17, a = 9.8 and came up with t = 2.17 but that is the incorrect answer for when the rock hits the ground. The rock went up at a starting point of 60m, then came down past 60m to hit the ground.

I got a time of just over 5 and a half seconds by both methods. Of course I often make mistakes now - I'm over 60. Show your calc if you want a critique.

t = (vf - vi)/a so (38.3-17)/9.8 unless i used the wrong formula

Initial v is 17. Final v is -38.3. Difference is 55.3.

FAQ: Time to Hit the Ground for Thrown Rock?

1. What is free fall of rock off tower?

Free fall of rock off tower refers to the motion of a rock falling from a tower under the sole influence of gravity. This means that there is no air resistance or other forces acting on the rock, causing it to accelerate towards the ground.

2. How is the acceleration of the rock calculated during free fall?

The acceleration of the rock during free fall can be calculated using the equation a = g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This means that the rock will accelerate at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared towards the ground.

3. Does the mass of the rock affect its free fall?

No, the mass of the rock does not affect its free fall. This is because all objects, regardless of their mass, experience the same acceleration due to gravity when falling towards the ground.

4. How does the height of the tower affect the free fall of the rock?

The height of the tower affects the free fall of the rock by increasing the distance that the rock has to fall. This means that the rock will have a longer time to accelerate, resulting in a higher final velocity and a greater impact force when it hits the ground.

5. What factors can affect the free fall of the rock off a tower?

The factors that can affect the free fall of the rock off a tower include air resistance, the shape and size of the rock, and the presence of other forces such as wind. These factors can alter the acceleration and final velocity of the rock, ultimately affecting its impact force upon landing.

Back