Time to travel at relativistic speed

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for determining the time spent traveling at 0.9 times the speed of light over a distance of 80 light years. The textbook's method of adding 0.1 times the distance to 80 years is questioned, but the correct calculation is found to be 80 years divided by 0.9 light years per year, resulting in a time of 88.888889 years. The textbook is found to be incorrect in stating that the time is exactly 88 years.
jl1642
I have a relatively simple problem that I'm having trouble with.
A ship is going at 0.90 c, over a distance of 80 light years. In my text the method for determining the time spent traveling is:

80 years + (0.1 * 80) = 88 years
This method seems logical, at 0.9 of the speed of light this trip should take 80 years plus that missing 0.1 of the speed of light.

I tried t = d/v :
t = 80 years / (0.9 light years per year)
t = 88.888889

I'm not sure what is going on, I see no logical error with either approach. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
jl1642 said:
80 years + (0.1 * 80) = 88 years
This method seems logical, at 0.9 of the speed of light this trip should take 80 years plus that missing 0.1 of the speed of light.
This does not make sense to me. This was in your textbook?

You are going slower than lightspeed by a factor of 1/.9 = 1.111..., not 1.10. So it should take you 80 years + 0.111...*80 = 88.88...

I tried t = d/v :
t = 80 years / (0.9 light years per year)
t = 88.888889
This makes sense. (Note that it's equivalent to what I said above.)

Thanks! I thought I was right, it just messed me up that the textbook was wrong.

Did your textbook say it was equal to 88 years or approximately equal to 88 years?

Recall the sum of a geometric series:

[tex]1+x+x^2+\hdots = \frac{1}{1-x}[/tex]

If x is small, you can use the approximation

[tex]\frac{1}{1-x}\cong 1+x[/tex]

where you truncate the series after one term without introducing much error. That may be what your book was doing. If it says the time was exactly 88 years, though, it's wrong.

No, the textbook introduces the method with an example question, exactly as I wrote above, with 80 + (0.1*80).

Related to Time to travel at relativistic speed

1. How does time dilation occur when traveling at relativistic speeds?

Time dilation occurs when an object is moving at speeds close to the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is relative and can slow down or speed up depending on the speed of the observer. As an object approaches the speed of light, time for that object will slow down in relation to an outside observer.

2. Can time travel occur when traveling at relativistic speeds?

While time dilation may make it seem like time is moving slower, true time travel is not possible. Time travel would require traveling faster than the speed of light, which is not currently possible according to the laws of physics.

3. How does the concept of simultaneity change when traveling at relativistic speeds?

Simultaneity, or the idea of two events happening at the same time, is also relative when traveling at relativistic speeds. For example, an event that is deemed to have happened at the same time for one observer may not be simultaneous for another observer who is traveling at a different speed.

4. How does the concept of time change in different frames of reference when traveling at relativistic speeds?

In Einstein's theory of relativity, time is relative and can be perceived differently by different observers depending on their frame of reference. This means that time can appear to move slower or faster depending on the speed of the observer in relation to the object they are observing.

5. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

While time dilation is a real phenomenon, it is typically only observable at extremely high speeds, such as those experienced by objects traveling near the speed of light. In everyday life, the effects of time dilation are not noticeable and do not significantly impact our daily experiences of time.