Time Travel and the Fascination of Physics: A Beginner's Perspective

• Thread starter Gadgett
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hello
In summary, time travel is the idea of moving between different points in time, but there is no scientific evidence to support its possibility. The theory of relativity suggests that time is relative, but does not directly support time travel. There are no confirmed real-life examples of time travel, and its potential ethical implications include unintended consequences and abuse of power. The fascination with time travel is closely connected to the study of physics and our desire to understand the mysteries of the universe.
Gadgett
Good evening, afternoon or morning. I guess I need to say something more that huh? Well let's see, my friends call me Gadgett (Gadg for short) and I am an OIF veteran with a bachelors level education in the world most useless major, Graphic Design but despite my short comings I've always had a love and fascination for science. Physics and quantum physics toto be more specific.

It all stemmed from my fascination in the idea of time travel. From Back to the Future, to the story of John Titor, to the effect space travel has on time,the idea and possibilities fascinate me.

With that all being said I guess you could say I'm a beginner. So I may end up reading more than asking questions. However, I would like to express my appreciation before hand for allowing me to partake in the knowledge of you all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gadgett said:
It all stemmed from my fascination in the idea of time travel. From Back to the Future, to the story of John Titor, to the effect space travel has on time,the idea and possibilities fascinate me.
Oh dear, we don't allow crackpottery here, the Titor crackpottery is a well know internet fraud, and overly speculative subjects such as time travel aren't allowed. Please be sure that you read our guidelines so your stay here is a happy one. :smile:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/

Evo said:
Oh dear, we don't allow crackpottery here, the Titor crackpottery is a well know internet fraud, and overly speculative subjects such as time travel aren't allowed.

Oh, i have read them, and it did make me wonder for a moment. But I understand completely what you mean nor is it my intention. I nearly quoted those stories to show where my interest spawned from. (example: a child reading Treasure Island and wanting to become a sailor.)

Stories such as the ones I mentioned simply spur the question " Is it possible?" If not then the journey itself would have lessons would it not? I would just have to think hard about how to phrase my questions if I needed to ask a question.

Gadgett said:
Oh, i have read them, and it did make me wonder for a moment. But I understand completely what you mean nor is it my intention. I nearly quoted those stories to show where my interest spawned from. (example: a child reading Treasure Island and wanting to become a sailor.)

Stories such as the ones I mentioned simply spur the question " Is it possible?" If not then the journey itself would have lessons would it not? I would just have to think hard about how to phrase my questions if I needed to ask a question.
I also love science fiction, so I know what you mean. We just make sure that people separate the fiction from the science, it sounds like you know that. I hope you enjoy the forum!

Evo said:
I also love science fiction, so I know what you mean. We just make sure that people separate the fiction from the science, it sounds like you know that. I hope you enjoy the forum!

Thank you.

Related to Time Travel and the Fascination of Physics: A Beginner's Perspective

1. What is time travel and is it possible?

Time travel is the concept of moving between different points in time, either forwards or backwards. While it is a popular topic in science fiction, there is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that time travel is possible.

2. How does the theory of relativity relate to time travel?

The theory of relativity, specifically the theory of special relativity, suggests that time is relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. This means that time can pass at different rates for different observers, but it does not necessarily support the idea of time travel.

3. Are there any real-life examples of time travel?

There are no confirmed examples of time travel in real life. Some people have claimed to have experienced time slips or time anomalies, but these have not been scientifically proven.

4. What are some of the ethical implications of time travel?

If time travel were to become possible, there would be numerous ethical implications to consider. For example, changing events in the past could have unintended consequences in the present and future, and the ability to manipulate time could lead to abuse of power and exploitation.

5. How does the concept of time travel connect to the fascination of physics?

The concept of time travel is closely connected to the study of physics, as it involves understanding the fundamental principles of time, space, and the universe. The fascination with time travel often stems from our desire to understand and explore the mysteries of the universe, which is a key focus of physics.