Timelike Geodesic and Christoffel Symbols

In summary, the given metric has time-like geodesics when the Lagrangian is written as L = -R^2\dot{t}^2 + (cosh(t))^2\dot{\theta}^2 and the Euler-Lagrange equations are solved, taking into account that \theta and R are constants. The Christoffel symbol components can also be computed, with the exception of \Gamma^t_{\theta \theta} which should have a minus sign.
wam_mi

Homework Statement

How do I show the following metric have time-like geodesics, if [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]R[/tex] are constants

[tex]ds^{2} = R^{2} (-dt^{2} + (cosh(t))^{2} d\theta^{2}) [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]v^{a}v_{a} = -1[/tex] for time-like geodesic, where [tex]v^{a}[/tex] is the tangent vector along the curve

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I write it as the Lagrangian

[tex] L = -R^{2}\dot{t}^{2} + (cosh(t))^{2} \dot{\theta}^{2} = -R^{2}\dot{t}^{2} [/tex]

as [tex]\theta[/tex] is a constant.

How do I proceed to show that this indeed gives us a time-like geodesic.

Could someone also tell me if I have computed the Christoffel symbol components correctly? My result is

[tex] \Gamma^{t}_{\theta \theta} = 0-sinh(t) \times cosh(t) [/tex]

[tex] \Gamma^{\theta}_{t \theta} = tanh(t) [/tex]

and all other components vanish.

Cheers!

P.S. How do I type minus sign? It doesn't seem to work if I have left the 0 out at above.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm not understanding the problem correctly, but if you're holding [itex]\theta[/itex] constant, couldn't you just use [itex]d\theta = 0[/itex]?

wam_mi said:
P.S. How do I type minus sign? It doesn't seem to work if I have left the 0 out at above.
[tex] \Gamma^{t}_{\theta \theta} = -sinh(t) \times cosh(t) [/tex]
Works fine for me :confused:
Anyway, I get the same thing as you for the Christoffel symbols except without the minus sign. I could have made a mistake but you might want to recheck your calculations.

I don't see the need to compute the Christoffel coefficients at all. The solution to the Euler-Lagrange equations will be a geodesic, so if [itex]R[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] are constants, you want to solve

[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial t}-\frac{d}{d\tau}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{t}}=0[/tex]

(Where I'm using [itex]\tau[/itex] to represent your affine parameter...i.e. [tex]\dot{t}=\frac{dt}{d\tau}[/tex] )

To show that the metric has time-like geodesics, you can use the geodesic equation:

\frac{d^2x^{\mu}}{d\lambda^2} + \Gamma^{\mu}_{\alpha\beta}\frac{dx^{\alpha}}{d\lambda}\frac{dx^{\beta}}{d\lambda} = 0

where \lambda is an affine parameter. For a time-like geodesic, we have v^{\mu}v_{\mu} = -1, so we can set v^t = \frac{dt}{d\lambda} = \sqrt{-\frac{1}{R^2}} and v^{\theta} = \frac{d\theta}{d\lambda} = \frac{cosh(t)}{R}. Plugging these into the geodesic equation, we get:

\frac{d^2t}{d\lambda^2} + \Gamma^{t}_{\theta\theta}\frac{dt}{d\lambda}\frac{d\theta}{d\lambda} + \Gamma^{t}_{tt}\left(\frac{dt}{d\lambda}\right)^2 = 0

\frac{d^2\theta}{d\lambda^2} + \Gamma^{\theta}_{t\theta}\frac{dt}{d\lambda}\frac{d\theta}{d\lambda} + \Gamma^{\theta}_{\theta\theta}\left(\frac{d\theta}{d\lambda}\right)^2 = 0

Plugging in the values for the Christoffel symbols that you calculated, we get:

\frac{d^2t}{d\lambda^2} + \frac{1}{R}\frac{dt}{d\lambda}\frac{cosh(t)}{R} = 0

\frac{d^2\theta}{d\lambda^2} + \frac{1}{R}\frac{dt}{d\lambda}\frac{dt}{d\lambda}\frac{cosh(t)}{R} = 0

Simplifying, we get:

\frac{d^2t}{d\lambda^2} + \frac{1}{R^2}cosh(t) = 0

\frac{d^2\theta}{d\lambda^2} + \frac{1}{

Related to Timelike Geodesic and Christoffel Symbols

1. What is a timelike geodesic?

A timelike geodesic is the path that a free-falling object would follow in spacetime under the influence of gravity. It is a curve that minimizes the proper time (or the time measured by an observer on the object) between two points in spacetime.

2. How is a timelike geodesic different from a spacelike geodesic?

A timelike geodesic is a curve that is aligned with the flow of time, while a spacelike geodesic is a curve that is perpendicular to the flow of time. This means that a timelike geodesic represents the path of an object that is moving through time, while a spacelike geodesic represents the path of an object that is moving through space.

3. What are Christoffel symbols?

Christoffel symbols are mathematical quantities that are used to describe the curvature of spacetime. They are derived from the metric tensor, which is a mathematical object that describes how distances and angles are measured in curved spacetime.

4. How are Christoffel symbols related to timelike geodesics?

Christoffel symbols are used to calculate the equations that govern the motion of objects along timelike geodesics. They are used to determine the acceleration, velocity, and position of objects as they move through spacetime.

5. Why are timelike geodesics important in General Relativity?

Timelike geodesics are important in General Relativity because they provide the basis for understanding how objects move in curved spacetime. They are used to describe the motion of particles, light, and other objects under the influence of gravity, and they are essential for predicting the behavior of objects in extreme gravitational fields, such as those near black holes.