Tips for Studying Physics and Improving Understanding

In summary: If you want to get good at physics, you need to do lots of problems. The more practice you get, the better you'll become at solving problems. And lastly, take breaks. You'll get tired, and that's okay. When you're tired, you're more likely to make mistakes. Just take a break, and come back to the problems later when you're feeling refreshed.
spock9000
I am in my second semester of calculus based physics ( electromagnetism ) and like last semester this is my hardest class, and the one that I am struggling with. I spent so much time reading, looking into websites trying to understand the concepts, but when it comes to the test seems like i dind't study at all. So my question is. is it better to approach physics trough memorization ? or what's the best way to study physics? sorry if my question seems like no brainer but i feel that maybe i can get a couple of good tips of how to approach physics.i really like the subject but i feel time goes fast and the material is not well settled in my brain by the time of the test. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't try to approach physics through memorization (except for memorizing useful constants and equations such as Coulomb's constant, permittivity and permeability of free space, Lorentz Force, etc.). Memorization won't guarantee that you understand the material. When reading material, highlight important concepts. Write this material in your own words and be capable of explaining it someone else using "English".

Make sure you are eating and sleeping properly as well.

spock9000 said:
I am in my second semester of calculus based physics ( electromagnetism ) and like last semester this is my hardest class, and the one that I am struggling with. I spent so much time reading, looking into websites trying to understand the concepts, but when it comes to the test seems like i dind't study at all. So my question is. is it better to approach physics trough memorization ? or what's the best way to study physics? sorry if my question seems like no brainer but i feel that maybe i can get a couple of good tips of how to approach physics.i really like the subject but i feel time goes fast and the material is not well settled in my brain by the time of the test. Thanks.

Stop doing so much reading and looking at websites. The most important steps you need to take in order to understand physics:
Do lots of problems.
Do lots of problems.
Do lots of problems.
Do lots of problems.
Take a break. Like Mmm_Pasta said, eat well and get some good sleep. I'll add, get lots of exercise. You're going to need it, because once you've recovered from all those problems, you then need to:
Do lots of problems.
Do lots of problems.
Do lots of problems.

Start with the easy ones and work up to the hard ones.

Seriously, that's how it's done. There is no shortcut.

well memorization isn't good for me when I study. I find I do well when I really relate the material to me and to my surroundings! Which is so easy for physics! If you connect the material that you're study on a less superficial level (deeper), you can work on getting it stored in the long term memory.

as for the problems, you need to practice!

I understand your struggle with studying physics and I can assure you that you are not alone. Physics is a complex subject that requires a combination of conceptual understanding and mathematical skills. Memorization alone will not lead to a deep understanding of the subject. The best way to approach physics is to first understand the underlying concepts and then practice solving problems.

One effective method is to actively engage with the material by asking questions, making connections between different concepts, and attempting to explain the concepts in your own words. This will help solidify your understanding and make it easier to recall the information during exams.

Additionally, working through practice problems and seeking help from your professor or classmates can also greatly improve your understanding and retention of the material. It is important to continuously review and practice, rather than just cramming before exams.

I also suggest breaking down the material into smaller, manageable chunks and setting aside dedicated study time each day. This will allow you to cover the material in a more thorough and organized manner, rather than trying to learn everything at once.

Lastly, don't be discouraged if you struggle with certain concepts or if it takes time for the material to settle in your brain. Physics is a challenging subject, but with persistence and the right study strategies, you can succeed. I wish you the best of luck in your studies!

Related to Tips for Studying Physics and Improving Understanding

1. What is the best way to understand physics concepts?

The best method to study physics is to actively engage with the material. This can include reading the textbook, attending lectures, practicing problems, and discussing the concepts with others. It is also important to have a solid foundation in mathematics, as physics heavily relies on mathematical equations and principles.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

One of the best ways to improve problem-solving skills in physics is to practice regularly. Start with simpler problems and work your way up to more complex ones. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and understand the underlying concepts and principles involved.

3. Is it better to study physics alone or in a group?

This can vary from person to person. Some individuals may find it more beneficial to study alone, while others may prefer studying in a group. Studying in a group can be helpful for discussing difficult concepts and learning from others' perspectives. Ultimately, it is important to find a study method that works best for you.

4. How important is it to do practice problems in physics?

Practice problems are crucial for understanding and mastering physics concepts. They allow you to apply the theories and equations you have learned and identify any gaps in your understanding. It is recommended to do a variety of practice problems, including both simple and complex ones, to fully grasp the concepts.

5. What resources are available to help me study physics?

There are numerous resources available to help you study physics, such as textbooks, online lectures, practice problems, and study groups. Your professor or TA may also offer office hours or study sessions. It is important to utilize these resources and find what works best for you in order to succeed in your studies.