Titration of HBrO: Calculating pH of KOH Volumes

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the pH of various volumes of KOH added to a solution of HBrO, a weak acid with a Ka value of 2.5x10-9. The calculation involves setting up an ice chart and using the Kb expression to find the concentration of hydroxide ions. It was noted that after the equivalence point, the pH only depends on the excess hydroxide concentration and can be calculated using the pH + pOH = 14 equation.
osker246

Homework Statement

Consider the titration of 20.0mL of a 0.100 M solution of HBrO, a weak acid (Ka=2.5x10-9) with 0.200 M KOH. Calculate the pH of the following volumes of KOH.

a. 0.00mL
b. 5.00mL
c. 10.00mL
d. 30.00mL

Homework Equations

pH=pKa +log [base]/[acid]

The Attempt at a Solution

Im having trouble with C when the pH is at its equivalance point.

so,

10.00mL (.200 mmol KOH/mL) = 2.00 mmol OH-

So stoichiometricaly my OH- and HBrO are used to completely to give me a conjugate base of 2.00 mmol BrO-

[BrO-]=2.00mmol/30.00ml=.0667 M

I set up my ice chart:

BrO-<=====>OH-+HBrO
I .0667 0 0
C -x +x +x
E .0667-x x x

Where

Kb=[OH-][HBrO]/[BrO-]=x2/.0667-x=4.0x10-6

Assume x is small to find x=[OH-]=5.2x10-4

pOH=3.28
pH= 14-pOH=10.72

What doesn't make sense to me is in Part A pH=4.80, part B pH=8.5, Part C=10.72 and part D pH=8.20.

Now shouldn't the pH in part D be greater than part C since I have excess OH-?

I'll type of my work for Part D in a bit. I have to leave right now. But if somebody can help my checking my answers I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
When your solution is far past the endpoint, the pH only depends on the excess hydroxide. How much or what is the concentration of the excess hydroxide? This helps to give you your pH calculation. pH + pOH = 14.

Ohhhhhhhh!

I see what I forgot to do. I knew that once past the end point the only thing affecting pH was excess hydroxides. I just forgot to properly calculate the concentration. I tried using the henderson-hassalbach(sp?) equation instead. So since I have an excess of 4.00 mmol of hydroxide and a total volume of 50.00mL, [OH-]=.0800 M. So leaving me with a final pH of 12.903 for part D. Thank you very much!

Related to Titration of HBrO: Calculating pH of KOH Volumes

1. What is the purpose of titration in this experiment?

The purpose of titration in this experiment is to determine the pH of a solution containing HBrO by adding a known volume of KOH solution. This helps us to understand the strength and concentration of the acid by measuring the amount of base required to neutralize it.

2. How do you calculate the pH of the solution after titration?

The pH of the solution can be calculated using the equation pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution. This can be determined by using the volume and concentration of the added base, as well as the initial concentration of the acid.

3. What is the importance of knowing the pH of a solution?

The pH of a solution is important because it affects the chemical reactions and properties of substances in the solution. It also indicates the acidity or basicity of the solution, which can have significant impacts on biological and environmental systems.

4. How do you determine the endpoint of the titration?

The endpoint of titration is determined by using an indicator, such as phenolphthalein, which changes color when the solution reaches a certain pH. The endpoint is reached when the indicator changes color, indicating that the acid has been neutralized by the base.

5. What are some sources of error in this experiment?

Some sources of error in this experiment may include inaccurate measurements of the volumes of solutions used, errors in the calibration of equipment, and incomplete neutralization of the acid due to the presence of impurities in the solutions. It is important to carefully follow the procedure and to repeat the experiment multiple times to reduce these sources of error.