Titration of Trimethylamine with HCl (g)

In summary, to find the number of moles of HCl gas needed to be added to 250.0 mL of 0.500 M trimethylamine to reach a pH of 10.30, you can use the equation pH = pKa + log [A-]/[HA] and solve for the number of moles of HCl using the given Kb value and other corresponding changes. Alternatively, you can use the equation Ka = [(CH3)3N][H3O+] / [(CH3)3NH] and solve for the number of moles of HCl by setting it equal to the given Ka value and using the concentrations of trimethylamine and hydrochloric acid.
plexus0208

Homework Statement

Trimethylamine has a Kb of 6.3 x 10-5. How many liters of HCl gas, measured at 1.20 bar and 298 K, must be added to 250.0 mL of 0.500 M trimethylamine to give a pH of 10.30?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start because I don't know how the gaseous HCl affects the pH.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is gaseous just to make you think it is a difficult question. Just solve for number of moles of HCl that have to be added to get given pH, then it is simple pV=nRT.

--

How do I set up the expression for Ka for this reaction?

Is Ka = [(CH3)3N][H3O+] / [(CH3)3NH]?

Since Kb = 6.3*10^-5, I found Ka by dividing Kw by Kb, and that turned out to be 1.6*10^-10
Also, since pH = 10.3, [H3O+] = 5*10^-11

I'm not sure what to do from that point on...

I tried to set an equation up:
Ka = (x)(5*10^-11 + x) / (0.500 - x)
But this can't be right...

Am I supposed to use the equation pH = pKa + log [A-]/[HA]?

Last edited:
The form of your equation looks reasonable, but you might be much more comfortable using the Kb value and any other corresponding changes.

plexus0208 said:
Am I supposed to use the equation pH = pKa + log [A-]/[HA]?

That sounds like the simplest approach, although part under the log would take

[tex]\frac {} {[BH^+]}[/tex]

form. But that's just a minor detail.

--

FAQ: Titration of Trimethylamine with HCl (g)

1. What is the purpose of titrating trimethylamine with HCl (g)?

The purpose of titrating trimethylamine with HCl (g) is to determine the concentration of the trimethylamine solution. This is done by adding a known concentration of HCl (g) to the trimethylamine solution until the reaction reaches its equivalence point, where the moles of acid are equal to the moles of base. By measuring the volume of acid added at the equivalence point, the concentration of the trimethylamine solution can be calculated using the equation M1V1 = M2V2.

2. What equipment is needed for titration of trimethylamine with HCl (g)?

The equipment needed for titration of trimethylamine with HCl (g) includes a burette, pipette, volumetric flask, beaker, Erlenmeyer flask, magnetic stirrer, and a pH meter. Other materials such as distilled water, indicator, and a balance may also be necessary depending on the specific experiment.

3. What is the role of the indicator in titration of trimethylamine with HCl (g)?

The indicator is used to signal the endpoint of the titration, which is when the reaction between trimethylamine and HCl (g) is complete. This is typically achieved by using a pH indicator that changes color at a specific pH, indicating that the equivalence point has been reached.

4. How is the concentration of the HCl (g) solution determined in titration of trimethylamine with HCl (g)?

The concentration of the HCl (g) solution is determined by using the known concentration of the trimethylamine solution and the volume of acid added at the equivalence point. By rearranging the equation M1V1 = M2V2, the concentration of the HCl (g) solution can be calculated.

5. What are the sources of error in titration of trimethylamine with HCl (g)?

Sources of error in titration of trimethylamine with HCl (g) can include inaccurate measurements of volumes or concentrations, incomplete mixing of the solutions, and the presence of impurities in the solutions. It is important to carefully follow the experimental procedure and use precise equipment to minimize these sources of error.

Back