To find out mode of vibration of air in a resonating pipe

In summary: Thanks for clearing that up!In summary, a pipe with one open end and one closed can have the mode of vibration be 2 or 3. The second allowed harmonic is the third harmonic, which is the second mode of vibration for this pipe.
opencircuit
Homework Statement

A cyclindrical pipe of length 29.5 cm closed at one end resonates with a tuning fork of frequency 864 Hz. Then mode of vibration of air in the pipe is(Velocity of sound in air=340m/s):

The attempt at a solution

V=Velocity, n=Frequency

If l1 is the first resonating length
then l1 = V/4n = 340/(4X864) = 0.0983m = 9.83 cm

Also, l2 is second resonating length
l2 = 3V/4n = 3 X 9.83 = 29.51 cm

This is the maximum resonating length possible in the pipe. Therefore the mode of vibration is 2.
But the answer given is 3! Please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
Given a pipe with one open end and one closed, can you have n=2? and, more generally, can you have an even n?

how many quarter-waves are in this pipe?

bacon said:
Given a pipe with one open end and one closed, can you have n=2? and, more generally, can you have an even n?

No the frequency(n) is not 2. The mode of vibration is 2. So there's a difference.

lightgrav said:
how many quarter-waves are in this pipe?

l2 = 3λ/4
So, there are 3 quarter waves, right?

The mode of vibration is the "harmonic". The second allowed harmonic is not necessarily the second harmonic. In this case, the second allowed harmonic is the "third harmonic" corresponding to n= 3. If n=2 were allowed, the second harmonic, there would be a node at the open end of the pipe, which can't exist.
I hope this makes sense.

bacon said:
The mode of vibration is the "harmonic". The second allowed harmonic is not necessarily the second harmonic. In this case, the second allowed harmonic is the "third harmonic" corresponding to n= 3. If n=2 were allowed, the second harmonic, there would be a node at the open end of the pipe, which can't exist.
I hope this makes sense.

Ok I get it. Pipe closed at one end has only odd harmonics. And the second resonance actually occurs at the third harmonic(i.e. the third mode of vibration).Thanks :smile: :smile:

Last edited:
Hey second resonance does occur at the third harmonic but it is still the second mode of vibration( harmonic is not necessarily same as the mode of vibration)

I got this reference in a book:
Second normal mode of vibration : n2 = v/λ2 = 3v/4L = 3n1
(pipe closed at one end)

I think the answer given is wrong...

Last edited:

Related to To find out mode of vibration of air in a resonating pipe

What is a resonating pipe?

A resonating pipe is a hollow cylindrical tube that is open on both ends and is used to produce sound through vibration of the air inside.

What is the mode of vibration?

The mode of vibration refers to the pattern and frequency of the vibrations occurring within the resonating pipe. It determines the pitch and quality of the sound produced.

How can the mode of vibration be measured?

The mode of vibration can be measured by analyzing the frequency of the sound produced by the resonating pipe. This can be done using a frequency analyzer or by recording the sound and analyzing it with software.

What factors affect the mode of vibration in a resonating pipe?

The length, diameter, and material of the resonating pipe all affect the mode of vibration. The shape and position of the pipe's openings also play a role in determining the mode of vibration.

How is the mode of vibration used in real-world applications?

The mode of vibration in a resonating pipe is used in various musical instruments, such as flutes and organ pipes, to produce specific pitches and tones. It is also used in industrial applications, such as in tuning forks and ultrasound technology.