To include or not include the Physics GRE scores?

In summary: GPA < 3.5 will get -1 point. So if your GPA is 800, you would get 800/990 = .8. If your GPA is 700, you would get 700/990 = .7.Since the PGRE is a quantifiable score, it can be helpful in understanding your relative standing against other applicants.In summary, many top physics departments recommend submitting the PGRE scores. If your GPA is 800 or above, submitting the PGRE scores will give you an .8 point boost.
Phys12
Hello everyone! I am an international student at a US university applying for PhD programs in Physics and Astronomy. I recently got my PGRE results back and I have an 800/990 (which put my at a 70 percentile). I have a perfect 4.0 GPA as a Physics and Math major, have 1 publication and 4 on the way with one as a corresponding author, the other as first author and all 3 of my recommendation letters will be very strong (with one of them being one of the strongest, if not the strongest, they have ever written). All my advisors encouraged me to apply to top schools.

Now for schools that have the PGRE scores' reporting as optional, should I submit my scores to them or not?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say yes rather have someone in the dept wonder why you didn’t submit them.

Others here may have a better idea about how these tests are perceived in grad school admissions.

Likes Phys12
Dr. Courtney said:
Include the PGRE scores.
Thank you for letting me know! Although, I'm curious, is there a reason why? Are my scores good enough? Would you have said the same if they were really bad like 30 percentile? I ask because departments that make the PGRE score optional mention on their website that the application will have no impact regardless of whether I submit my scores or not. Does that mean that if my scores were bad, I probably shouldn't have submitted them?

Just trying to get a sense of how good/bad my scores are and how departments perceive a "no submission of the PGRE scores"...

Phys12 said:
Thank you for letting me know! Although, I'm curious, is there a reason why? Are my scores good enough? Would you have said the same if they were really bad like 30 percentile? I ask because departments that make the PGRE score optional mention on their website that the application will have no impact regardless of whether I submit my scores or not. Does that mean that if my scores were bad, I probably shouldn't have submitted them?

Just trying to get a sense of how good/bad my scores are and how departments perceive a "no submission of the PGRE scores"...

As it happens your qualifications seem very close to mine as a college senior, and I was admitted to MIT, Stanford, and Princeton.

I prefer not to give advice on hypotheticals, since it runs the risk of students reading the thread down the road and following the hypothetical advice. More questions would probably be in order for low PGRE scores. Can you take it again? Are you in an underrepresented minority? What is your undergrad school's national ranking? How strong is your desire for a top school vs. lower tier schools?

One mistake many students make is thinking they only have one application cycle for the next step (either college or grad school) which creates more pressure than their needs to be. Delaying graduation, taking a gap year, enrolling in a Masters program and other approaches to improve the strength of one's application are all available options. Of course, none of those things, by itself, strengthens an application. But a delay of a year can provide time to improve standardized test scores, earn better recommendations, boost one's GPA, and complete additional research (perhaps leading to publications).

Phys12 said:
I ask because departments that make the PGRE score optional mention on their website that the application will have no impact regardless of whether I submit my scores or not.

Who says that?

Vanadium 50 said:
Who says that?

A few heavy hitters in the "optional/no impact" section, including Stanford (on a trial basis), UIUC, and UC Santa Barbara (all top 10 according to US News 2018: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/physics-rankings). Most pure physics departments still strongly recommend PGRE scores.

Many of these places say "The pGRE can only help you, not hurt you." This seems logically inconsistent with accepting a (within a narrow envelope) fixed number of applicants: if you don't go down and everybody else moves up, what is the net effect?

@Vanadium 50 I think the intended reading is that "The pGRE can only help you, not hurt you, as compared to not submitting the pGRE" i.e. submitting a low pGRE score will have the same effect as not submitting at all.

Infrared said:
i.e. submitting a low pGRE score will have the same effect as not submitting at all.

Fine, but the other side of that is "not submitting at all will have the same effect as submitting a low pGRE score."

Last edited:
Likes Dr. Courtney
All right, thank you all for you comments, I think I have my answer: submit the PGRE scores

Some (most?) admissions offices score applications according to a rubric that assigns points to where the individual applicant falls with respect to the median applicant. So for example, if the median applicant’s GPA is 3.5, an applicant with GPA > 3.5 will get 3 points, one with 3.5 will get 2 points, and one with less than 3.5 will get 1 point. I imagine if your PGRE hurts you, they simply leave that unscored.

(Of course, you’d have to do some averaging to compare applications with and without PGREs. So if there are 7 metrics that applicants are evaluated on including PGRE and applicant A submits a PGRE, his score is totaled and divided by 7, whereas if applicant B doesn’t submit a PGRE, her score is totaled and divided by 6. Or some other scheme to make it fair.)

TeethWhitener said:
Some (most?) admissions offices

Huh?
Graduate admission decsisions are normally done by the department, not the admissions office. I've never been anything like the point system you describe used for graduate admissions.

But in any event, there's still the logical problem. In a ranked system, "we won't take away points, we'll just give everyone else points" has the same effect.

Vanadium 50 said:
Huh?
Graduate admission decsisions are normally done by the department, not the admissions office. I've never been anything like the point system you describe used for graduate admissions.
It’s true this is a feature most commonly associated with undergrad admissions. Grad admissions are generally individually evaluated.
Vanadium 50 said:
But in any event, there's still the logical problem.
Here’s an example of how this could work: Say we have 3 applicants (A, B, and C). They are evaluated on a scale of 1-3 across 6 required criteria and one optional criterion. All three applicants get a score of 2 for each of the 6 required criteria. Applicant A gets a 3 on the optional criterion, B gets a 2, and C gets a 1. Admissions then averages across the 6 required criteria and compares with averaging across the 7 total criteria, then takes the higher of the two as the final score. So applicant A’s score will be ##max\{\frac{15}{7},\frac{12}{6}\}=\frac{15}{7}##, B’s score will be ##max\{\frac{14}{7},\frac{12}{6}\}=2##, and C’s score will be ##max\{\frac{13}{7},\frac{12}{6}\}=2##. So the fact that C got a worse score than B on the optional part of the application doesn’t adversely affect C. However, A’s better than average score does help A.

Well, that's quite a complicated supposition, and one completely unlike any admissions process I've ever seen.

Grad schools admit N students per year. N is more or less determined before the process even starts: it's the size of the class they want divided by the expected yield. A bonus criterion cannot move someone into the top N without moving someone else out: indeed, it cannot move someone up in the rankings without moving someone else down.

The point of this thread isn't to see if one can contrive a complex counter-example. It's to provide advice to the OP. There is a general rule "do not let the committee guess". If you have a gap in your resume, you don't want them to conclude that you were in prison. If you don't provide a test score, you don't want them thinking that's because you bombed it.

Likes berkeman and Dr. Courtney

Related to To include or not include the Physics GRE scores?

1. Should I include my Physics GRE scores on my graduate school application?

It ultimately depends on the specific requirements and preferences of the graduate programs you are applying to. Some programs may require or strongly recommend submitting Physics GRE scores, while others may not consider them at all. It is important to carefully review the application guidelines for each program to determine if submitting Physics GRE scores is necessary.

2. How important are Physics GRE scores in the graduate school admissions process?

The weight placed on Physics GRE scores varies among different graduate programs. Some programs may consider them as a significant factor in their admissions decisions, while others may place more emphasis on other aspects of the application, such as research experience and letters of recommendation. It is important to research the specific program's admissions criteria to understand the importance of Physics GRE scores.

3. Can I retake the Physics GRE if I am not satisfied with my initial score?

Yes, you can retake the Physics GRE. However, keep in mind that some programs may only consider your highest score, while others may take an average of all your scores. Additionally, retaking the exam may require additional time and resources, so it is important to carefully consider if it is necessary for your application.

4. How do Physics GRE scores compare to other standardized tests like the GRE or MCAT?

Physics GRE scores are specifically designed to assess a student's knowledge and understanding of physics concepts, while the GRE and MCAT cover a broader range of subjects. Therefore, it is difficult to directly compare these scores. Some graduate programs may use all three scores as part of their admissions process, while others may only consider one or two.

5. Are there any disadvantages to including my Physics GRE scores on my application?

One potential disadvantage is that a low Physics GRE score may negatively impact your overall application. However, not including your scores may also raise questions for the admissions committee. It is important to carefully consider your scores and how they may impact your application before deciding whether to include them.