To what depth will the bullet penetrate the block in this case?

In summary, the problem involves a 7.00 g bullet being fired into a 1.00 kg block of wood held in a vise, penetrating to a depth of 7.40 cm. When the block is placed on a frictionless surface, a second 7.00 g bullet is fired into it. The question asks for the depth of penetration in this case. The equations used are p=mv, p1i+p2i=p1f+p2f, and conservation of momentum and kinetic energy. The first case involves the block decelerating the bullet, while in the second case, the block is free to move and some of the bullet's initial kinetic energy is transferred to the block. The key
yb1013

Homework Statement

A 7.00 g bullet, when fired from a gun into a 1.00 kg block of wood held in a vise, penetrates the block to a depth of 7.40 cm. This block of wood is next placed on a frictionless horizontal surface, and a second 7.00 g bullet is fired from the gun into the block. To what depth will the bullet penetrate the block in this case?

Homework Equations

p= mv
p1i + p2i = p1f + p2f
and probably some other equations.. not really sure

The Attempt at a Solution

ok well I would really appreciate it if someone could please kind of walk me through this problem, I'm not trying to get anyone to do my homework. In fact I already have the answer which is 7.35 cm but i really have no idea how to get it. I've read up on some previous posts about this question and I still just can't figure it out.

I know it has something to do with conserving momentum and then turning that into conserving kinetic energy which will find the speed? Some thing like that, but could someone please kind of lay the format out, because i have a test tmw on this and I could really use some help.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

In the first case, the wood block is fixed and all the bullets energy goes into penetrating the block of wood, or the block decelerates the bullet. If one assumes constant acceleration (constant force), one can determine the force of the block on the bullet.

In the second case, the block is free to move so some of the initial kinetic energy of the bullet is transformed to kinetic energy of the block which accelerates while the bullet is decelerating.

im trying to understand, but i just have like this mental block on this problem. Out of all the questions in my test review there's really only two that i don't understand, and this is one of them.

like what formula could you use for the first part with the vise?

Related to To what depth will the bullet penetrate the block in this case?

1. How is the depth of bullet penetration calculated?

The depth of bullet penetration is calculated by taking into account factors such as the bullet's velocity, mass, and shape, as well as the material and thickness of the block it is penetrating. This can be determined through mathematical equations and simulations.

2. What determines the maximum depth a bullet can penetrate?

The maximum depth a bullet can penetrate is determined by its kinetic energy, which is a combination of its velocity and mass. Other factors that can affect the maximum depth include the bullet's shape, angle of impact, and the density and hardness of the material it is penetrating.

3. Does the type of bullet affect its penetration depth?

Yes, the type of bullet can greatly affect its penetration depth. For example, a hollow point bullet is designed to expand upon impact, resulting in shallower penetration compared to a full metal jacket bullet, which is designed for deeper penetration.

4. How does the density of the block influence the bullet's penetration depth?

The density of the block plays a significant role in determining the bullet's penetration depth. A denser material will require more energy to penetrate, resulting in a shallower penetration depth. This is why bullets can penetrate wooden blocks more easily than concrete blocks.

5. Can the angle of impact affect the bullet's penetration depth?

Yes, the angle of impact can greatly affect the bullet's penetration depth. A bullet that impacts the block at a perpendicular angle will penetrate deeper compared to one that impacts at an oblique angle. This is because a perpendicular impact allows for the maximum transfer of kinetic energy to the block.