Tom Brady's Footballs: Enough Thrown to Sense 2 PSI?

• Thread starter Bystander
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Psi
In summary, Tom Brady has NOT thrown enough footballs in his career to sense a two psi difference in inflation pressure? Anybody believe that?
I smell a wrongful termination lawsuit.

Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
A four-games suspension?

It's more than that. It's a four-game suspension without pay.

Brady leaves about $2 million on the table because somebody squeezed his balls during the Colts game. :eek::wink:?:)

SteamKing said:
I was joking with V50 about which four games the suspension could be for; The first four games of the year are preseason games. So it wasn't really a prescient prediction.
Brady leaves about $2 million on the table because somebody squeezed his balls during the Colts game. :eek::wink:?:)
I rather suspect that in relative terms that's a lot less money than the equipment managers are losing by getting fired. I am very sympathetic to them. Brady, notsomuch.

russ_watters said:
I was joking with V50 about which four games the suspension could be for; The first four games of the year are preseason games. So it wasn't really a prescient prediction.

No, I don't think these are pre-season games the suspension will apply to.

In the NFL, the pre-season games are like exhibition games: none of the stats count, and the won-lost record doesn't matter to the rest of the season, but the owners get to pocket some money from ticket sales. The players are all technically in training camp, where each usually receives a nominal amount as a weekly stipend (usually something small, like $500), which is not related to the salary spelled out in his playing contract.

The Patriots will not have Brady's services during the first four weeks of the NFL regular season in 2015. Brady's agent says he plans to appeal the NFL decision and suspension later this summer.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25181545/tom-brady-suspended-4-games-by-nfl-patriots-lose-2016-first-rounder

SteamKing said:

Actually, if you read the report, it's pretty clear they did this over the course of at least the entire 2014 season. Looking at messages before the 2014 season even began, they were probably doing it during at least the 2013 season, as well. The Colts seemed to know ahead of time the balls would probably be underinflated, so it wasn't an extremely close held secret by the end of the season.

I don't really know how to put this into perspective against a lot of the other stunts players pull, such as trying to get away with spraying their jerseys with cooking oil, throwing spitballs in baseball, etc, but I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to put it in the same punishment category as using performance enhancement drugs. A little surprising, but not completely unreasonable.

Likes JohnPrior3
SteamKing said:
No, I don't think these are pre-season games the suspension will apply to.
I'm/was aware that that was never a possibility (because it would be stupid/pointless). That's what makes it a joke.

JonDE said:
This is correct. It is why no one noticed until the ball was intercepted. It makes Tom Brady's story even more unbelievable. A linebacker, who almost never handles the football, could immediately tell the ball was underinflated, yet a quarterback, who handles it constantly, cannot?
Ravens had alerted the Colts and the NFL of the possibility of football tampering. The referees also handle the footballs between plays, it is strange that it was the linebacker who took notice.

JonDE said:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25177527/report-tom-brady-could-be-suspended-for-up-to-one-year
It also mentions it is even more likely because he refused to aid in the investigation, by not turning over his cell phone and e-mails.

I am a Patriots fan, but I'm really doing my best to see this from an unbiased stand point. According to the Wells Report, both locker room attendant's gave up their text messages. Why would Brady then have to give up his private information?

What I also find interesting about this being a prominent argument against Brady is that in his appeal, he is required to give up this personal information. The texts and emails will come out. If Brady really was hiding a dark secret, he should not be appealing his suspension because it gives the league an opportunity to suspend him even more games if they do in fact find him guilty of cheating.

Again, I support the Patriots no matter what. I'm from Boston and my loyalty cannot be tainted. In my opinion, both sides are full of inconsistencies and seem to lack truthfulness.

I do not know if he is a star player or just last guy in his team. He is controversial or popular. I think player must know how a ball might behave when he kicks it. Other factors like rain or dew on ball can also make ball behave differently. I am excluding any tempering with the ball.

JohnPrior3 said:
I am a Patriots fan, but I'm really doing my best to see this from an unbiased stand point. According to the Wells Report, both locker room attendant's gave up their text messages. Why would Brady then have to give up his private information?
What does one thing have to do with another? When investigarors investigate, they investigate everyone who may be involved.

russ_watters said:
What does one thing have to do with another? When investigarors investigate, they investigate everyone who may be involved.
From a legal perspective, the league has probable cause to investigate conversations with Brady and any equipment personnel. They do not have probable cause to look at every message Brady has sent say to his wife or to friends. I mean come on, who wants to make his or her phone records public? I know I certainly don't. Regardless, when the league investigates the appeal Brady MUST give up that personal info he didn't before and any findings that prove his guilt may INCREASE the suspension. If Brady's messages were so bad to begin with, he would have taken the four game suspension to save himself any worse punishment.

Back