Tom's question at Yahoo Answers regarding proof by induction

In summary, the given problem is to prove by mathematical induction that the sum of 3 + 7 + 11 + 15 + ... to n terms is equal to 2n^2 + n. This is achieved by demonstrating the base case and then using the induction hypothesis to derive the next step. The proof can be found in the provided link and others are encouraged to post similar problems for further discussion.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Proove the following by mathematical induction?

while justifying your supporting arguments using the language of proof coherently, concisely and logically.
3 + 7 + 11 + 15 + ... to n terms = 2n^2 +n

Here is a link to the question:

Proove the following by mathematical induction? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Tom,

The statement as given is not true, so I assume it is a typo, and instead the problem should be as follows.

We are given to prove by induction the following:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n(2i+1)=n^2+2n\)

Step 1: demonstrate the base case $P_1$ is true:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^1(2k+1)=(1)^2+2(1)\)

\(\displaystyle 2(1)+1=1+2(1)\)

This is true.

Step 2: state the induction hypothesis $P_k$:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^k(2k+1)=k^2+2k\)

Step 3: derive $P_{k+1}$ from $P_k$ to complete the proof by induction.

Let our inductive step be to add \(\displaystyle 2(k+1)+1\) to both sides of $P_k$:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^k(2k+1)+2(k+1)+1=k^2+2k+2(k+1)+1\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{k+1}(2k+1)=k^2+2k+1+2(k+1)\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{k+1}(2k+1)=(k+1)^2+2(k+1)\)

We have derived $P_{k+1}$ from $P_{k}$ thereby completing the proof by induction.

To Tom or any other guests viewing this topic, I invite and encourage you to register and post other proof by induction problems either in our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f21/ or http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f15/ forums depending on the nature of the problem, or course from which it is given.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Related to Tom's question at Yahoo Answers regarding proof by induction

1. What is proof by induction?

Proof by induction is a mathematical technique used to prove statements that involve a variable n, where n can take on any positive integer value. The proof is done in two steps: the base case, where we show that the statement is true for n = 1, and the inductive step, where we assume the statement is true for n = k and use that to show it is also true for n = k+1.

2. Why is proof by induction important?

Proof by induction is a commonly used technique in mathematics to prove statements about infinite sets, such as the set of all positive integers. It allows us to prove a statement for all possible values of n without having to explicitly check each individual value. This makes it a powerful and efficient tool for proving mathematical theorems.

3. Can you give an example of a proof by induction?

Sure, let's take the statement "the sum of the first n positive integers is n(n+1)/2". We can prove this using induction by first showing it is true for n = 1 (base case), where the sum of the first positive integer is 1, which is equal to 1(1+1)/2. Then, for the inductive step, we assume the statement is true for some n = k and use that to show it is also true for n = k+1. In this case, we can show that the sum of the first n+1 positive integers is n(n+1)/2 + (n+1) = (n+1)(n+2)/2, which is equal to (n+1)((n+1)+1)/2. Therefore, if the statement is true for n = k, it is also true for n = k+1, and by induction, it is true for all positive integers n.

4. Are there any limitations to proof by induction?

Proof by induction can only be used to prove statements about infinite sets, such as the set of all positive integers. It cannot be used to prove statements about finite sets, such as the set of all real numbers. Additionally, it can only be used to prove statements that involve a variable n that takes on positive integer values, so it may not be applicable to all mathematical problems.

5. Can proof by induction be used in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, proof by induction can be used in other fields such as computer science and physics. In computer science, it can be used to prove the correctness of algorithms, and in physics, it can be used to prove mathematical models and theories. However, it is most commonly used in mathematics due to its focus on infinite sets and the use of variables that take on positive integer values.

Back