Too late to start in Physics? (Psych background)

• Thread starter MozAngeles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: You should still apply to a masters program in applied physics. There are a lot of physics courses you can take to apply to a masters program. However, you might want to consider another type of job to gain experience in the physics field.
MozAngeles
Hello,

So i just turned 24 and graduated last spring with a degree in psychology and was premed. I started at community college and did really well there, but once I transferred to university I fell upon some bad habits and other limiting issues. My cumulative GPA turned out to be 3.3 between the schools. However, I did not participate in any research or anything worthwhile at my university because I was always working part time as a hairstylist.

So while I was studying for the MCAT this past summer I really took into consideration my thoughts on the medical profession and decided I wanted something that wasn't quite so people oriented. (By now my patience for dealing with customers/ the public in such a setting has become very draining).

I found that all my interest fell in the math/physics department so i have set my sights upon applying to a masters program in applied physics. After speaking with a counselor it appears I only have a few upper division physics classes to take and one more math class to be able to apply.

So my questions is whether it's too late to pursue something like theoretical or applied when my science background is quite as strong as those who have been studying these subjects from a younger age?

Also if anyone has ANY tips for another type of JOB that is somewhat related to the field, post nonscience degree grad?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Courtney is right, its never too late. In high school I didn't do well in math or at all really, and yet I aspire to be an astrophysicist. While I haven't gone too far in my field of study, my determination to learn has given me an edge I didn't have before, and I've gotten grades I didn't know I could achieve before. Strive for what you want to be and wish to do! Get to know some people around the forums and learn from them and it could help you out.

Likes KSG4592
24 is still quite young, so no it's not too late.

FAQ: Too late to start in Physics? (Psych background)

1. Is it too late to start studying physics if I have a background in psychology?

No, it is never too late to start studying physics. While a background in psychology may not directly relate to physics, you can still apply your critical thinking skills and research experience to the study of physics. Additionally, many concepts in physics overlap with other scientific fields, so your background in psychology may actually provide a unique perspective.

2. Do I need a strong math background to study physics?

A strong math background is important for studying physics, but it is not necessarily a requirement. If you are passionate about physics, you can always work to improve your math skills through practice and additional coursework.

3. Can I still pursue a career in physics if I didn't major in it during my undergraduate studies?

Yes, you can still pursue a career in physics even if you did not major in it during your undergraduate studies. Many graduate programs in physics welcome students from diverse academic backgrounds, and there are also opportunities for post-baccalaureate or certificate programs to help you gain the necessary knowledge and skills.

4. Are there any online resources or courses I can use to catch up on physics concepts?

Yes, there are many online resources and courses available for learning physics. Some options include online lectures, interactive simulations, and virtual labs. You can also check with your local library or community college for any free or low-cost resources.

5. What are the job prospects for someone starting in physics with a psychology background?

The job prospects in physics are diverse and can vary depending on your interests and qualifications. With a psychology background, you may be well-suited for research positions in areas such as neuropsychology or cognitive neuroscience. There are also opportunities for interdisciplinary work in fields such as biophysics or social physics.