Tool for symbolic manipulations?

• Thread starter jack476
  • Start date
In summary: I would recommend either one. I have not used Mathematica, but I have used Maple and it is also very good.
jack476
I've started to reach a point where working out problems on my sketch pad is becoming impractical. In classical mechanics in particular, it feels like I'm spending a lot of time doing "grunt work" like working out derivatives or integrals, or making conversions to new variables. It feels like I'm spending much more time on the algebra and calculus computation than I am on the physics. It's not difficult, but it's a time sink. Plus my hand starts to cramp from all of the writing.

So what I'm looking for is something that can do things like quickly take integrals and derivatives of expressions, change variables in an expression, and do algebra on an equation. Ideally, if it could keep a LaTeX picture of the expression I'm working on open, that would be even better.

Suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I use Mathematica for that sort of thing. There are also other programs with similar functionality.

I agree with DaleSpam. Mathematica is a great tool for doing calculations and can save many hours of searching for where you made an error in your hand calculations. There are other tools, but I think Mathematica is by far the most sophisticated.

I've never used it, but Maxima is free.

Likes jasonRF
For symbolic mathematics, the main commercial ones are mathematica and maple.

The main open source math package is Sage, which binds several software packages together (maxima, SymPy). I know that sage has support for latex (you can write interactive worksheets with latex) and you can use it online as well:
https://cloud.sagemath.com/

If you are using linux and emacs, then I recommend using the imaxima addon for emacs, it generates (and renders) latex output:
https://sites.google.com/site/imaximaimath/Home

For some quick computing (solution of equations, quick integral computations), I use wolfram alpha:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/

Likes IgorIGP
bigfooted said:
For symbolic mathematics, the main commercial ones are mathematica and maple.
I do not understand what does the word "main" mean at that context. I think the choice depends on the solved task.

Thanks for the advice guys! I ended up deciding to use Sage for the time being, since it's open source I can't afford to buy a bunch of software right now. Already finding it very useful, I'm getting a lot more done now. Thanks again!

Mathematica or maple are both very good!

FAQ: Tool for symbolic manipulations?

1. What is a tool for symbolic manipulations?

A tool for symbolic manipulations is a software program designed to perform calculations and manipulate mathematical and logical expressions symbolically, rather than numerically. This means that the tool can work with variables, equations, and abstract symbols to solve problems in algebra, calculus, and other areas of mathematics.

2. How does a tool for symbolic manipulations work?

A tool for symbolic manipulations works by using algorithms and rules of mathematical manipulation to perform operations on symbolic expressions. These expressions can include variables, constants, and mathematical functions, and the tool can simplify, expand, factor, and solve them using symbolic techniques.

3. What are the benefits of using a tool for symbolic manipulations?

Using a tool for symbolic manipulations can help save time and effort in solving complex mathematical problems, as it can handle symbolic expressions more efficiently than manual calculations. It also allows for a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and can be used to check the accuracy of solutions obtained through other methods.

4. What are some examples of tools for symbolic manipulations?

Some popular examples of tools for symbolic manipulations include Mathematica, Maple, and Wolfram Alpha. These tools have a wide range of features and capabilities, such as graphing, differentiation, integration, and solving differential equations, making them useful for various fields of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

5. How can a tool for symbolic manipulations be used in scientific research?

A tool for symbolic manipulations can be used in scientific research to solve complex equations and perform calculations that may be difficult or time-consuming to do by hand. It can also help in modeling and simulating systems, analyzing data, and making predictions. Additionally, the symbolic manipulation of equations can provide insights and help identify patterns and relationships in scientific data.