Toolkits for matlab- missing syms and some others

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter LakeMountD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between the MATLAB version 6.5 and the ones at school, particularly regarding the use of the syms command and other related commands. The person is wondering how they can update their toolkit and mentions that they have a school license for it. They have tried reinstalling the toolbox but it still doesn't work. They also mention the possibility of downloading different toolboxes, but note that they are expensive.
LakeMountD
I have Matlab version 6.5 but the toolkit is MUCH different from that of the ones at school. I can't use the syms command plus many others such as poly2sym and sym2poly etc.

Anyone know how you can update your toolkit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you didn't install the Symbolic Toolbox. Use the installer to install it, assuming you have a license for it.

- Warren

Yeah I have a school license for it. The school buys em and they loan out the cd at the library, not really sure how all that works on their end but that's how i was able to get it. So i have the student version of it.

I tried reinstalling the toolbox for it but syms still doesn't work. My professor told me that his version of the cd was doing the same thing. I didn't know if you could download different toolboxes?

The individual toolboxes cost 300EURO each to a normal user!

If you're after a specific program, maybe try searching for it - Mathwroks have some kind of file repository and the chances are you'll find it there... :wink:

Related to Toolkits for matlab- missing syms and some others

1. What are toolkits for Matlab?

Toolkits for Matlab are collections of functions, classes, and other resources that extend the capabilities of the Matlab software. They are designed to help scientists and engineers perform specific tasks more efficiently and effectively.

2. Why are some syms missing from the Matlab toolkit?

Some syms may be missing from the Matlab toolkit due to licensing restrictions or because they are not relevant to the specific purpose of the toolkit. However, you can usually find alternative functions or workarounds to achieve the same results.

3. How can I add missing syms or functions to the Matlab toolkit?

You can add missing syms or functions to the Matlab toolkit by downloading and installing additional toolboxes or by creating your own custom functions and adding them to the Matlab path.

4. Are all toolkits for Matlab free?

No, not all toolkits for Matlab are free. Some may require a paid license or subscription, while others may offer a free trial or limited version with the option to upgrade for additional features.

5. Can I use multiple toolkits at the same time in Matlab?

Yes, you can use multiple toolkits at the same time in Matlab by adding them to the Matlab path. However, you may need to be careful with potential conflicts between functions or variables with the same name in different toolkits.