Toothpick Squares Sequence for nth # toothpicks

In summary, Renee is asking for help on modeling the function for the number of toothpicks in the nth figure. Jameson initially responds, requesting more information and providing a video on inductive patterns. Renee clarifies her question, mentioning a diagram with a base of one square in figure one and increasing by two squares in each subsequent figure. Jameson asks for clarification on the arrangement of the squares and Renee uploads a diagram. Sudharaka then provides a detailed solution, calculating the total number of toothpicks in the nth figure to be 2n^2+3n-1.
artemishunts200
Please help! I'm stuck on modeling the function for the # of toothpicks in the nth figure. Thank you so much. Renee

Mathematics news on Phys.org
artemishunts200 said:
Please help! I'm stuck on modeling the function for the # of toothpicks in the nth figure. Thank you so much. Renee

Hi artemishunts200, (Wave)

Welcome to MHB. I think something is missing from your question. Is there a diagram in your book or some more info that you haven't posted yet? It will depend on the figures you are trying to draw.

Here's a video discussing this problem with where the figures are houses.

U03_L1_T1_we2 Inductive Patterns - YouTube

Jameson

EDIT: Sorry, I missed "squares" in your title. Still could use some more clarification because you could draw squares a bunch of different ways, depending on how they are connected.

Last edited:
Jameson said:
Hi artemishunts200, (Wave)

Welcome to MHB. I think something is missing from your question. Is there a diagram in your book or some more info that you haven't posted yet? It will depend on the figures you are trying to draw.

Here's a video discussing this problem with where the figures are houses.

U03_L1_T1_we2 Inductive Patterns - YouTube

Jameson

EDIT: Sorry, I missed "squares" in your title. Still could use some more clarification because you could draw squares a bunch of different ways, depending on how they are connected.

I have looked at the diagram you've mentioned. My diagram begins with one square as fig. 1, then fig. 2 has a base of three squares with 1 square on top; fig. 3 has a base of five squares with the 2nd layer having three squares and the third layer having 1 square; figure 4. has a base of 7 squares, next layer has 5, next layer has 3, next layer has 1... Does this help? I know this is not a linear pattern, and I know I am losing sides as squares are added. The question is how many toothpicks in all for the nth figure.​

artemishunts200 said:
I have looked at the diagram you've mentioned. My diagram begins with one square as fig. 1, then fig. 2 has a base of three squares with 1 square on top; fig. 3 has a base of five squares with the 2nd layer having three squares and the third layer having 1 square; figure 4. has a base of 7 squares, next layer has 5, next layer has 3, next layer has 1... Does this help? I know this is not a linear pattern, and I know I am losing sides as squares are added. The question is how many toothpicks in all for the nth figure.

I'm not sure I can solve this for you but don't worry, someone will soon enough. We have very knowledgeable members. Just for clarification though, let me double check I get what you are describing.

1) 1 square: 4 toothpicks
2) 4 squares (this is where I need to know how you're arranging them): $(4 \cdot 4)-2-1=13$ This is assuming the middle square in bottom row of squares shares two toothpicks the squares on either side and the top square shares its bottom toothpick with the row below.

Is this how it looks? If not, you can upload images so you could draw one of the diagrams in paint in 2 minutes and upload it. I'll look into adding a chalkboard/whiteboard feature for drawing diagrams.

Yes, you are on the right track. That is absolutely corect. Yes, I wish there was a whiteboard. I will see if I can upload a diagram from Paint...

Here is the diagram...please forgive my unsteady hand. (Smile)

View attachment 306

Attachments

• toothpicks.JPG
    toothpicks.JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok great. I think this enough for others to go on. Sit tight, someone else will hopefully help you soon enough. :)

artemishunts200 said:
I have looked at the diagram you've mentioned. My diagram begins with one square as fig. 1, then fig. 2 has a base of three squares with 1 square on top; fig. 3 has a base of five squares with the 2nd layer having three squares and the third layer having 1 square; figure 4. has a base of 7 squares, next layer has 5, next layer has 3, next layer has 1... Does this help? I know this is not a linear pattern, and I know I am losing sides as squares are added. The question is how many toothpicks in all for the nth figure.​

Hi artemishunts200, :)

If you consider the number of toothpicks arranged horizontally and the number of toothpicks arranged vertically separately,

Figure 1 has \(1+1\) toothpicks arranged horizontally and \(1\times 2\) toothpicks arranged vertically.

Figure 2 has \(3+3+1\) toothpicks arranged horizontally and \((1+2)\times 2\) toothpicks arranged vertically.

Figure 3 has \(5+5+3+1\) toothpicks arranged horizontally and \((1+2+3)\times 2\) toothpicks arranged vertically.

Figure 4 has \(7+7+5+3+1\) toothpicks arranged horizontally and \((1+2+3+4)\times 2\) toothpicks arranged vertically.

Therefore the nth figure has \(1+2(n-1)+\frac{n}{2}[2+2(n-1)]=n^2+2n-1\) arranged horizontally and \((1+2+\cdots+n)\times 2=n(n+1)\) toothpicks arranged vertically.

Therefore the total number of toothpicks in the nth figure is, \(n^2+2n-1+n(n+1)=2n^2+3n-1\).

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Hello, Renee!

From your description, I think I understand the problem.We have a "stack" of rows of squares.
The rows have consecutive odd numbers of squarea.
The squares are made of toothpicks.
How many toothpicks are used in the [tex]n^{th}[/tex] diagram?

Code:
                                                                       n=4

n=3                          * - *
                                                                      |   |
                   n=2                  * - *                     * - * - * - *
                                        |   |                     |   |   |   |
     n=1          * - *             * - * - * - *             * - * - * - * - * - *
                  |   |             |   |   |   |             |   |   |   |   |   |
    * - *     * - * - * - *     * - * - * - * - * - *     * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *
    |   |     |   |   |   |     |   |   |   |   |   |     |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
    * - *     * - * - * - *     * - * - * - * - * - *     * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *
      4             13                    26                            43

We have the sequence: .[tex]4,13,26,64,\;\text{ . . .}[/tex]

Take the differences of consecutive terms,
then take the differences of the differences, and so on.

[tex]\begin{array}{|c|ccccccccc|}\hline \text{Sequence} & 4 && 13 && 26 && 43 && 64 \\ \hline \text{1st diff.} && 9 && 13 && 17 && 21 & \\ \hline \text{2nd diff.} &&& 4 && 4 && 4 && \\ \hline \end{array}[/tex]

The second differences are constant.
Hence, the function is of the second degree . . . a quadratic.

The general quadratic function is: .[tex]f(n) \:=\:an^2 + bn + c[/tex]

To find [tex]a,b,c[/tex], we use the first three values of [tex]f(n).[/tex]

. . [tex]\begin{array}{ccccc}f(1) = 4: & a + b + c &=& 4 & [1] \\ f(2) = 13: & 4a + 2b + c &=& 13 & [2] \\ f(3) = 26: & 9a + 3b + c &=& 26 & [3] \end{array}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{array}{ccccc}\text{Subtract [3]-[2]:} & 5a + b &=& 13 & [4] \\ \text{Subtract [2]-[1]:} & 3a + b &=& 9 & [5] \end{array}[/tex]

[tex]\text{Subtract [4]-[5]: }\;2a\:=\:4 \quad\Rightarrow\quad a \:=\:2[/tex]

[tex]\text{Substitute into [5]: }\;6 + b \:=\:9 \quad\Rightarrow\quad b \:=\:3[/tex]

[tex]\text{Substitute into [1]: }\;2 + 3 + c \:=\:4 \quad\Rightarrow\quad c \:=\:-1[/tex][tex]\text{Therefore, the }n^{th}\text{ term is: }\:f(n) \:=\:2n^2 + 3n - 1[/tex]

Thank you so much, guys! I knew I was on the right track, but I just couldn't get all of it! You are AWESOME! (Ninja)
Renee

artemishunts200 said:
Thank you so much, guys! I knew I was on the right track, but I just couldn't get all of it! You are AWESOME! (Ninja)
Renee

Glad to hear that our answers helped you. :)

Related to Toothpick Squares Sequence for nth # toothpicks

1. How does the Toothpick Squares Sequence work?

The Toothpick Squares Sequence is a mathematical sequence in which each term represents the number of toothpicks needed to create a square with side length equal to the term number. The sequence starts with 1, and each subsequent term is found by multiplying the previous term by 4 and adding 1. For example, the first few terms are 1, 5, 21, 85, 341, etc.

2. What is the significance of the Toothpick Squares Sequence?

The Toothpick Squares Sequence is an example of a self-referential sequence, meaning that the sequence is defined in terms of itself. This makes it an interesting concept in mathematics and has applications in computer science and coding theory.

3. How many toothpicks are needed for the nth term in the sequence?

The formula for finding the number of toothpicks needed for the nth term in the Toothpick Squares Sequence is 4^n + 1. For example, the 6th term in the sequence would require 4^6 + 1 = 4097 toothpicks.

4. Can the Toothpick Squares Sequence be represented visually?

Yes, the Toothpick Squares Sequence can be represented visually by creating squares with side lengths equal to each term in the sequence. The resulting pattern resembles a fractal, with smaller squares nested within larger squares.

5. Are there any real-life applications for the Toothpick Squares Sequence?

While the Toothpick Squares Sequence may not have direct practical applications, the concept of self-referential sequences has been used in coding theory to create error-correcting codes. Additionally, studying the sequence can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.