Toothpicks in the nth figure problem where the figures are "L" shaped triangles

In summary: That's cool. I have no idea why it works!So. Let's try f(n) \,=\,n^2 + 3\begin{array}{c|cccccccccc} n & 1&2&3&4&5&6&7 \\ \hline \text{Sequence} & 4&10 & 18 & 28 & 40 & 54 & 70 \\ \hline \text{Try }n^2 + 3 & 4 & 7 & 12 & 19 & 28 & 39 & 52 \\ \hline \text{Error}
charlieanne
Hi, I did a search in the forums and found a similar problem, but nothing on this particular one. I have a problem asking for a procedure to find the number of toothpicks in any figure in a sequence, with an illustration that shows the first three figures of the sequence of triangles built with squares made up of toothpicks. The figures are "L" shaped meaning that the first "triangle" starts with a square and then has another square directly above and directly to the right of it with 1 shared toothpick for each new square (10 toothpicks total). The next is the same concept but with one square added into the middle of the two arms (18 toothpicks). I have drawn out the first 10 figures on graph paper but can't seem to find a pattern to figure out a procedure that will work no matter what tn I'm trying to find.

View attachment 359

Attachments

• triangles.png
    triangles.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 83
Mathematics news on Phys.org
charlieanne said:
Hi, I did a search in the forums and found a similar problem, but nothing on this particular one. I have a problem asking for a procedure to find the number of toothpicks in any figure in a sequence, with an illustration that shows the first three figures of the sequence of triangles built with squares made up of toothpicks. The figures are "L" shaped meaning that the first "triangle" starts with a square and then has another square directly above and directly to the right of it with 1 shared toothpick for each new square (10 toothpicks total). The next is the same concept but with one square added into the middle of the two arms (18 toothpicks). I have drawn out the first 10 figures on graph paper but can't seem to find a pattern to figure out a procedure that will work no matter what tn I'm trying to find.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/359

1. I've modified your sketch a little bit (see attachment). I assume that you have n toothpicks in the base row.

2. If you count the rows of toothpicks (green) you'll get:

n+n+(n-1)+(n-2) + ... + 1

3. If you count the columns of toothpicks (red) you'll get:

n+n+(n-1)+(n-2) + ... + 1

4. So in total you have:

2(n+n+(n-1)+(n-2) + ... + 1)

5. Use the sum formula of arithmetic sequences to simplify this term. Finally you should come out with
[tex]n^2+3n[/tex]

Attachments

• numbertoothpick.png
    numbertoothpick.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 76
I observed that for 0 squares there are 0 toothpicks, for 1 square there are 4 toothpicks, for 3 squares there are 10 toothpicks...

On the nth interation, there are $\displaystyle T_n$ squares, where $\displaystyle T_n$ denotes the nth triangular number.

If we notice that the second difference is constant at 2, then we know the number of toothpicks $\displaystyle t_n$ will be a quadratic function:

$\displaystyle t_n=k_1n^2+k_2n+k_3$

where:

$\displaystyle t_0=0$

$\displaystyle t_1=4$

$\displaystyle t_2=10$

giving rise to the system:

$\displaystyle k_3=0$

$\displaystyle k_1+k_2=4$

$\displaystyle 4k_1+2k_2=10$

from which we may determine:

$\displaystyle k_1=1,k_2=3$

Hence:

$\displaystyle t_n=n^2+3n$

Hello, charlieanne!

I have drawn out the first 10 figures on graph paper, but can't seem to find a pattern.
I'm surprised . . . Where were you looking?

I assume you counted the toothpicks in your 10 diagrams.

So you have: .[tex]4,10, 18, 28, 40, 54, 70, 88, 108, 130[/tex]We see that the numbers are getting bigger. .(duh!)

Okay, just how are they getting bigger?Let's take a look . . .

[tex]\begin{array}{c|ccccccccc}\hline \text{Sequence}& 4 && 10 && 18 && 28 && 40 && \cdots \\ \hline \\ \text{Change} && +6 && +8 && +10 && +12 && \cdots \\ \hline \end{array}[/tex]

Do you see a pattern now?

soroban said:
Hello, charlieanne!

I assume you counted the toothpicks in your 10 diagrams.

So you have: .[tex]4,10, 18, 28, 40, 54, 70, 88, 108, 130[/tex]We see that the numbers are getting bigger. .(duh!)

Okay, just how are they getting bigger?Let's take a look . . .

[tex]\begin{array}{c|ccccccccc}\hline \text{Sequence}& 4 && 10 && 18 && 28 && 40 && \cdots \\ \hline \\ \text{Change} && +6 && +8 && +10 && +12 && \cdots \\ \hline \end{array}[/tex]

Do you see a pattern now?

Hi Soroban,

Sorry, I should have been more clear: I did see that pattern (and also that the # of 3s goes up by two, and that the 2s go up 4,5,6,7,8,etc). I'm trying to understand why the formula tn=n2+3n works...I see that it does, just not how it works. (Example: I know that the formula for volume is HxLxW, but I can also explain the concept.)

Hello again, charlieanne!

[tex]\text{I'm trying to understand why the formula }\,t_n \,=\,n^2+3n\text{ works.}[/tex]
The "why" is tricky to explain.
I have some explanations, but they may not convince you.We saw that the generating function is a quadratic, contains [tex]n^2.[/tex]
Very well, let's test [tex]f(n) \,=\,n^2[/tex]

[tex]\begin{array}{c|cccccccccc} n & 1&2&3&4&5&6&7 \\ \hline \text{Sequence} & 4&10 & 18 & 28 & 40 & 54 & 70 \\ \hline \text{Try }n^2 & 1 & 4 & 9 & 16 & 25 & 36 &49 \\ \hline \text{Error} & \text{-}3 & \text{-}6 & \text{-}9 & \text{-}12 & \text{-}15 & \text{-}18 & \text{-}21 \\ \hline \end{array}[/tex]

We see that if we use [tex]f(n) \,=\,n^2[/tex], we are short by exactly [tex]3n.[/tex]

Therefore, the function is: .[tex]f(n) \:=\:n^2+3n[/tex]
Factor the numbers in the sequence
. . and look for a pattern.

. . . [tex]\begin{array}{ccc} n & t_n & \text{factors} \\ \hline 1 & 4 & 1\cdot4 \\ 2 & 10 & 2\cdot 5 \\ 3 & 18 & 3\cdot6 \\ 4 & 28 & 4\cdot7 \\ 5 & 40 & 5\cdot8 \\ 6 & 54 & 6\cdot9 \\ 7 & 70 & 7\cdot10 \\ \vdots & \vdots & \vdots \\ n & t_n & n(n+3) \end{array}[/tex]

Another method would be to express the relation recursively:

$\displaystyle t_{n}=t_{n-1}+2n+2$

$\displaystyle t_{n+1}=t_{n}+2(n+1)+2$

Subtracting the former from the latter:

$\displaystyle t_{n+1}=2t_{n}-t_{n-1}+2$

$\displaystyle t_{n+2}=2t_{n+1}-t_{n}+2$

Subtracting again:

$\displaystyle t_{n+2}=3t_{n+1}-3t_{n}+t_{n-1}$

We find the characteristic roots are 1 with multiplicity 3, hence the closed form will be quadratic, for which the parameters are determined by initial values.

Related to Toothpicks in the nth figure problem where the figures are "L" shaped triangles

1. What is the Toothpicks in the nth figure problem?

The Toothpicks in the nth figure problem is a mathematical puzzle that involves creating a pattern of L-shaped triangles using toothpicks. The goal is to determine the number of toothpicks needed to create a certain number of figures in the pattern.

2. How do you solve the Toothpicks in the nth figure problem?

To solve the Toothpicks in the nth figure problem, you need to first determine the pattern of the L-shaped triangles and then use a formula to calculate the number of toothpicks needed for a given number of figures. This involves breaking down the problem into smaller parts and finding a pattern within the figures.

3. What is the significance of the "L" shape in the Toothpicks in the nth figure problem?

The "L" shape is significant because it allows for the creation of a repeating pattern that can be used to solve the problem. The angles and sides of the L-shaped triangle also play a role in determining the number of toothpicks needed for each figure.

4. Are there any real-world applications for the Toothpicks in the nth figure problem?

The Toothpicks in the nth figure problem may not have direct real-world applications, but the problem-solving skills and mathematical thinking involved in solving it can be applied to other problems in various fields such as engineering, computer science, and economics.

5. Can the Toothpicks in the nth figure problem be solved with different shapes instead of L-shaped triangles?

Yes, the Toothpicks in the nth figure problem can be solved with different shapes, but the formula and approach may vary depending on the shape used. The L-shaped triangle is commonly used as it allows for a simpler and more efficient solution.