Topic about autoroute in PCB designing

In summary, the use of autoroute versus manual routing in PCB design depends on the scope of the board and the software being used. Free PCB layout software typically has subpar autorouting features, while more expensive software like PADS have better options for correcting any problems that arise. For simpler boards, manual routing can be a satisfying experience, but for more complex boards, it may be beneficial to use the auto-router and then make adjustments as needed. Some popular software options with reliable autorouting capabilities include Cadance and Altium Designer.
adream307
Hi everyone:
I am new to PCB design, I want to how know often do you use autoroute, or just route the trace manually.
Someone tell me that, they route most of the traces automatically and then modify it manually.
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
It really depends on the scope of the board and the software you are using. All the free PCB layout software I have used have rubbish auto-routing features. Though more expensive software such as PADS have respectable auto-routing features that you could go back and correct any problems you see.

If you are just making a simple 2-8 layer board with free PCB software (PCB123, ExpressPCB, PCBArtist) I would recommend routing it yourself, it can be a rewarding experience. If you are making a much denser more complex board in software such as PADS I would recommend letting the auto-router have a go at it and then look over it.

Hope this helps!

crono1009 said:
It really depends on the scope of the board and the software you are using. All the free PCB layout software I have used have rubbish auto-routing features. Though more expensive software such as PADS have respectable auto-routing features that you could go back and correct any problems you see.

If you are just making a simple 2-8 layer board with free PCB software (PCB123, ExpressPCB, PCBArtist) I would recommend routing it yourself, it can be a rewarding experience. If you are making a much denser more complex board in software such as PADS I would recommend letting the auto-router have a go at it and then look over it.

Hope this helps!
Thanks
How do you think about the auto-router in Cadance and Altium Designer

Related to Topic about autoroute in PCB designing

1. What is an autoroute in PCB designing?

An autoroute in PCB designing is an automated process that creates the connections between electronic components on a printed circuit board. It involves the use of specialized software to optimize the routing of traces and minimize the size of the board.

2. Why is autorouting important in PCB designing?

Autorouting is important in PCB designing because it can save time and effort in manually routing traces, especially in complex designs. It also helps to ensure the accuracy and consistency of the connections between components.

3. How does autorouting work?

Autorouting works by analyzing the schematic and component placement information to determine the best routing paths for the traces. It takes into account factors such as signal integrity, EMI, and design constraints to create an optimized routing solution.

4. What are the advantages of using autorouting in PCB designing?

The advantages of using autorouting in PCB designing include increased efficiency and accuracy, reduced design time, and the ability to handle complex designs. It also helps to minimize the risk of errors and ensures a higher quality of the final product.

5. Are there any limitations to autorouting in PCB designing?

Yes, there are some limitations to autorouting in PCB designing. It may not always produce the most optimal routing solution, and it may not be suitable for all types of designs. In some cases, manual routing may still be necessary for specific areas of the board. It is also important to carefully review and verify the autorouted design to ensure it meets all design requirements.