Topic for Introductory physics project/case study

In summary, the conversation is discussing a case study project in an intro physics class where students can choose from various topics such as kinematics, Newton's laws, momentum, energy, gravitation, SHO, waves, and fluid mech. The study aims to investigate a physical phenomenon that demonstrates the theories learned in class. One student is struggling to find a topic that is both interesting and challenging, and another suggests investigating the effects of increasing amplitude on the period of a pendulum.
Headacheguy
We're having a case study project in our intro physics class. We can choose from the ff. topics: kinematics, Newton's laws, momentum, energy, gravitation, SHO, waves, and fluid mech.

We are to investigate a case of physical phenomena which exhibits the theories we have studied in class. This study is supposed to be more extensive than our laboratory experiments.

I've toyed around many topics but everything seems very simple. For instance: calculating the value of g using a simple pendulum, or empirical proof of the relationship between a physical and simple pendulum.

I'm desperate for something fun and interesting and not very easy. I have no ideas left on what to do. Please do suggest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Headacheguy said:
We're having a case study project in our intro physics class. We can choose from the ff. topics: kinematics, Newton's laws, momentum, energy, gravitation, SHO, waves, and fluid mech.

We are to investigate a case of physical phenomena which exhibits the theories we have studied in class. This study is supposed to be more extensive than our laboratory experiments.

I've toyed around many topics but everything seems very simple. For instance: calculating the value of g using a simple pendulum, or empirical proof of the relationship between a physical and simple pendulum.

I'm desperate for something fun and interesting and not very easy. I have no ideas left on what to do. Please do suggest.

It is always stated "A pendulum displays/undegoes Simple Harmonic Motion provided the amplitude is small". With SHM, the Period is independent of the amplitude.

You may like to investigate how big the amplitude can be before you can be certain that the Period has changed.
Note: if you measured the period of a pendulum, even with small amplitude, you will get a small range of answers due to the uncertainties in measurement and your own inability to conduct the experiment exactly - that is why you need to establish you are CERTAIN that the Period has changed when you made the amplitude big enough.

FAQ: Topic for Introductory physics project/case study

1. What is the purpose of an introductory physics project/case study?

The purpose of an introductory physics project/case study is to introduce students to the fundamental principles and concepts of physics through real-world applications. It allows students to apply their knowledge and skills to solve practical problems, improving their understanding of the subject.

2. How do I choose a topic for an introductory physics project/case study?

When choosing a topic for an introductory physics project/case study, it is important to consider your interests, available resources, and level of understanding. You can also seek suggestions from your instructor or research current events to find relevant and engaging topics.

3. What are some examples of introductory physics projects/case studies?

Some examples of introductory physics projects/case studies include analyzing the motion of a pendulum, investigating the properties of different types of waves, and studying the principles of energy conservation in a simple machine. Other examples include exploring the physics of sports, designing and testing a simple circuit, and examining the behavior of light through lenses and mirrors.

4. What are the key components of an introductory physics project/case study?

The key components of an introductory physics project/case study include a clear problem statement, background research on the topic, a hypothesis or prediction, a detailed methodology, data collection and analysis, and a conclusion that summarizes the findings and discusses their implications.

5. How can I make my introductory physics project/case study stand out?

To make your introductory physics project/case study stand out, you can use creative and innovative approaches to solving the problem, incorporate visual aids such as diagrams and graphs, and relate the findings to real-world applications. It is also important to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the principles and concepts involved and to present your project in a well-organized and professional manner.