Topic: Is there a solution to this infinite integration problem?

In summary: It might help to use the fact that ##\cos(w)## is the real part of ##e^{iw}##, so you need to integrate\int_0^1 \int_0^1 \cdots \int_0^1 e^{i c (x_1 + x_2 + \cdots + x_n)} \, dx_1 \, dx_2 \cdots \, dx_n,where ##c = \pi/n##. The exponential factors into separate factors for each variable, and so the n-fold integration is just the product of single-variable integrals. You can pull the "real part" operator outside all the integ
Sleestak

Homework Statement

Evaluate the limit
1 1 1
lim ∫ ∫ ... ∫ cos^2((pi/2n)(x1 + x2 +... xn))dx1 dx2 ... dxn
0 0 0
n→∞

Homework Equations

Well, I know that we can change this using a double angle rule, so that the integrals become 1/2 + 1/2 cos (2*pi/2n)(x1 + x2 +... xn))dx1 dx2 ... dxn

and the integral over the 1/2 just becomes 1/2, but the other side baffles me.

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor tried to do this, but I don't agree with his methodology. When he integrated it, he got pi/n out front, and if you keep integrating, this would go to pi^n / n^n . However, the integral should produce n^n / pi^n if I'm not mistaken, meaning this would diverge to infinity, and not go to zero like he said. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show the working for the definite integral over x1 first.

Okay, so the first integral gives n/pi (sin(pi)), and the sin(pi) = 0, so you'd be integrating 0 from there on out. Is that correct?

Sleestak said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the limit
1 1 1
0 0 0
n→∞

Homework Equations

Well, I know that we can change this using a double angle rule
Why? ##cos^2(\pi/(2n))## is a constant as far as any of the integrations are concerned. You can bring it out of all of the integrals.

Edit: Never mind. I didn't count enough parentheses.
Sleestak said:
, so that the integrals become 1/2 + 1/2 cos (2*pi/2n)(x1 + x2 +... xn))dx1 dx2 ... dxn

My professor tried to do this, but I don't agree with his methodology. When he integrated it, he got pi/n out front, and if you keep integrating, this would go to pi^n / n^n . However, the integral should produce n^n / pi^n if I'm not mistaken, meaning this would diverge to infinity, and not go to zero like he said. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Whoops, that's my bad. All of the x terms are inside the cosine as well, and all of them are multiplied by the pi/2n, so

cos^2( (pi/2n)*(x1 + x2 +... xn) )

...putting ##X_m=\sum_{i=m}^n x_i## (saves typing)
$$\int_0^1 \cos \frac{\pi}{n}(x_1+X_2)\;dx_1 = \frac{n}{\pi}\big[\sin \frac{\pi}{n}(1+X_2)-\sin \frac{\pi}{n}X_2\big]$$ ... but I'm a little distracted.

@Mark44
The original problem is:
$$\lim_{n\to\infty}\int_0^1\cdots\int_0^1 \cos^2\left(\frac{\pi}{2n}X_1\right)\;dx_1\cdots dx_n$$

Last edited:
Sleestak said:
Whoops, that's my bad. All of the x terms are inside the cosine as well, and all of them are multiplied by the pi/2n, so

cos^2( (pi/2n)*(x1 + x2 +... xn) )
No, my bad. What you wrote was clear, but I misread it.

Simon Bridge said:
...putting ##X_m=\sum_{i=m}^n x_i## (saves typing)
$$\int_0^1 \cos \frac{\pi}{n}(x_1+X_2)\;dx_1 = \frac{n}{\pi}\big[\sin \frac{\pi}{n}(1+X_2)-\sin \frac{\pi}{n}X_2\big]$$ ... but I'm a little distracted.

@Mark44
The original problem is:
$$\lim_{n\to\infty}\int_0^1\cdots\int_0^1 \cos^2\left(\frac{\pi}{n}X_1\right)\;dx_1\cdots dx_n$$
Gotcha.

Sleestak said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the limit
1 1 1
0 0 0
n→∞

Homework Equations

Well, I know that we can change this using a double angle rule, so that the integrals become 1/2 + 1/2 cos (2*pi/2n)(x1 + x2 +... xn))dx1 dx2 ... dxn

It might help to use the fact that ##\cos(w)## is the real part of ##e^{iw}##, so you need to integrate
[tex] \int_0^1 \int_0^1 \cdots \int_0^1 e^{i c (x_1 + x_2 + \cdots + x_n)} \, dx_1 \, dx_2 \cdots \, dx_n,[/tex]
where ##c = \pi/n##. The exponential factors into separate factors for each variable, and so the n-fold integration is just the product of single-variable integrals. You can pull the "real part" operator outside all the integrals (why?).

Last edited:

Related to Topic: Is there a solution to this infinite integration problem?

What is "Calc III infinite integration"?

"Calc III infinite integration" is a topic in calculus that involves finding the indefinite integral of a function over an infinite interval. This is different from traditional integration, which is done over a finite interval.

Why is "Calc III infinite integration" important?

Infinite integration is important because it allows us to find the average value of a function over an infinite interval and to solve problems involving infinite series. It also has applications in physics and engineering.

What are some common techniques for solving "Calc III infinite integration" problems?

Some common techniques for solving infinite integration problems include using u-substitution, integration by parts, and partial fraction decomposition. It is also important to know and understand the properties of infinite integrals, such as linearity and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with "Calc III infinite integration"?

One common mistake is forgetting to account for the constant of integration when solving indefinite infinite integrals. It is also important to be careful with algebraic manipulations and to always check your work for errors.

How can I practice and improve my skills in "Calc III infinite integration"?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your skills in infinite integration. You can find practice problems online or in textbooks, and it is also helpful to work with a study group or seek help from a tutor. It is also important to review the fundamentals of calculus and make sure you have a strong understanding of them before tackling infinite integration problems.