[Topology] Accumulation points

In summary, the following conversation covers the following topics:Homework Equations - x is an accumulation point of a set A if it is in the closure of A - {x}, or equivalently if every neighbourhood (nbd) of x intersect A in some point other than x.Closure of a set - a set is closed if the closure of A = {4, 13, 28, 37} or the intersection of all closed sets containing the set. A subset A is dense if cl(A) = N.Determining the closure of the other sets is easy if the previous paragraph is correct.Determining the dense subsets of a set is easy if the closure of the set is known. The dense subset of a
GatorPower

Homework Statement

Given N = {1, 2, 3, ...} and En = {n, n+1, ...} (n in N) define a topology on N with T = {empty set, En}
Determine the accumulation points of {4, 13, 28, 37}, find the closure of {7, 24, 47, 85} and {3, 6, 9, 12, ...}. Also determine the dense subsets of N.

Homework Equations

x is an accumulation point of a set A if it is in the closure of A - {x}, or equivalently if every neighbourhood (nbd) of x intersect A in some point other than x.

Closure of a set = intersection of all closed sets containing the set, or simply cl(A) = A in union the set of accumulation points of A.

A subset A is dense if cl(A) = N

The Attempt at a Solution

Let A = {4, 13, 28, 37}. Closed sets in N is: N - En = {1, ..., n-1} for a given n (empty set for n approx infinity) . The closure of A will then be N - E38 since we then get cl(A) = {1,2, 3, 4, ..., 13, .., 28, .., 37} which complement is open. Then each of the points 1, 2, ..., 36 are accumulation points (not 37 since then the closure would be N - E37). This seems a bit.. strange, so please help me on this if this is totally wrong.

Determining the closure of the other sets is easy if the previous paragraph is correct.

Dense subsets is only {empty set} since cl(empty set) = N

Please look over this, looking forward to hearing from some more experienced topologists :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you've got the right ideas. The closure of A = {4, 13, 28, 37} is N-E38 (or the interval [1,37]). But I don't think the closure of A-{37} is N-E37. What is it really? And I certainly don't think the closure of the empty set cl({}) is N.

Dick said:
I think you've got the right ideas. The closure of A = {4, 13, 28, 37} is N-E38 (or the interval [1,37]). But I don't think the closure of A-{37} is N-E37. What is it really? And I certainly don't think the closure of the empty set cl({}) is N.

My bad, A-{37} would be closed with N - E29.

Closure of empty set, hmm.. N - empty set = N which is open and hence the empty set is clopen and not dense in N.

So, I'm looking for a set which closure is E1 = N. But the closure of a set is the intersection of all closed sets containing the set, and the only set containing N is N itself!

So, the accumulation points are 1,..,36 and the dense subset is only N. Correct?

GatorPower said:
My bad, A-{37} would be closed with N - E29.

Closure of empty set, hmm.. N - empty set = N which is open and hence the empty set is clopen and not dense in N.

So, I'm looking for a set which closure is E1 = N. But the closure of a set is the intersection of all closed sets containing the set, and the only set containing N is N itself!

So, the accumulation points are 1,..,36 and the dense subset is only N. Correct?

Do one of the other exercises they gave you before you jump to conclusions about dense sets. What's the closure of {3, 6, 9, 12, ...}. Notice the '...' indicates it has a infinite number of elements.

The closure of {7, 24, 47, 85} would be {1,...,84} since N - cl({7, 24, 47, 85}) then equals E85 which is open.

Now on to the closure of {3, 6, 9, 12, ...}. Then the closure would be {1, ...} which would be equal to N.

If this is correct I would think that any subset of infinite cardinality is dense?

GatorPower said:
The closure of {7, 24, 47, 85} would be {1,...,84} since N - cl({7, 24, 47, 85}) then equals E85 which is open.

Now on to the closure of {3, 6, 9, 12, ...}. Then the closure would be {1, ...} which would be equal to N.

If this is correct I would think that any subset of infinite cardinality is dense?

Sure. Any infinite subset will intersect ALL open sets. That's an alternative definition of dense.

Thanks a lot for the help!

FAQ: [Topology] Accumulation points

What are accumulation points in topology?

Accumulation points, also known as limit points, are points within a topological space that can be arbitrarily close to a given set of points. These points are not necessarily part of the set itself, but they are in the closure of the set.

How are accumulation points determined in a topological space?

In order for a point to be considered an accumulation point, it must have an infinite number of points from the given set within any given neighborhood. This means that no matter how small the neighborhood is, there will always be points from the set within that neighborhood.

Can a set have more than one accumulation point?

Yes, a set can have multiple accumulation points. This is because there can be multiple points within a given neighborhood that are infinitely close to the given set of points.

What is the difference between an accumulation point and a limit point?

While the terms "accumulation point" and "limit point" are often used interchangeably, there is a slight difference between them. An accumulation point is a point within a topological space that is infinitely close to a given set of points, while a limit point is a point within a sequence that is infinitely close to the limit of the sequence.

How are accumulation points used in topology?

Accumulation points are used in topology to help identify the boundary of a given set. They can also be used to prove the convergence of a sequence, as well as to determine if a set is closed or not. Additionally, accumulation points can be used to define other important concepts in topology, such as isolated points and perfect sets.

Back