Torn between Two Research Oppotunities

• Thread starter Beeza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the person is currently in a good position with opportunities in an experimental astrophysics lab. They are considering a job offer from their physics professor to work on theoretical astro and plasma physics, which pays more and has the potential for a recommendation letter from a top school in the field. They are torn between which job to choose for the upcoming academic year, but it seems like the job offer from the professor is the obvious choice for their future career goals.
Beeza
Well, right now, I'm in a very good position with the opportunities put before me, but now I need to make a tough decision as to what to do.

I currently work as an undergraduate in an experimental astrophysics lab (mostly gamma-ray related). My advisor got me the job in his lab, and the work is decent, I really get along with all of the scientists and graduate students, and everyone seems to like me and my work ethic. But, I just don't know if experimental physics is for me. I have always been interested in theory, and I took this job as a way to get my foot in the door doing research--hopefully getting some really good recommendation letters when it comes time for graduate school applications. I'm involved in a lot of projects, and I'm heavily involved in one particular project that is going to have a hot air balloon flight soon, and I get to do a lot of the mechanical work assembling the detector etc. I also know that my name will be added to the next conference paper they write for the project, and if I do well enough over the next couple of years, I will most likely have my name added to a paper that is submitted into a peer reviewed journal.

Here is where the dilemna starts. Last semester(spring)I worked with my physics professor doing extra challenge problems from the textbook etc. I did well in his course and he seemed to enjoy helping me with the challenge problems. I received an Email from him today asking me if I was interested on working with him and one of his graduate students helping out with research in theoretical astro and plasma physics. I'll also be getting paid more than the other job I currently have. This professor has a degree from one of the top schools in plasma physics, and its also the school that I'd eventually like to be at. If I do well, then a recommendation letter from him would look excellent on a graduate school application, but I'm not so sure that working with him will provide the opportunity to get published as an undergraduate. I know that working with him, my contribution to project will be less significant because of the differences between theoretical and experimental physics. I have a lot of hands-on skills and can work in machine shops and build just about anything, which is applicable to helping out in an experimental lab, but not necessarily with a theorist.

I'm torn between which to choose for this up and coming acedemic year. I know that having my name added to published papers will look great on graduate school applications (especially since if I keep working in the lab, there is a good chance there may be several papers). Either way the research experience is valuable. During the school year, I typically work 15-20 hours a week in my current lab, and was wondering if you guys thought I should maybe cut this time in half, and spend the other half working on the theoretical physics with my old professor? Or, completely transfer over into the theoretical side, which is what I ultimately think I want to do in physics.

I'm sorry for the long post and the rather incoherent way that it is typed. I'd like to know what you guys think!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
i do not know what others will say but it seems like a no brainer to me - a job you find uninteresting and which pays less, versus one in the area you are interested in, which pays more, and which is supe4vised by a prof who graduated from the school you want to go to?

come on. this is obvious. having your name on a paper you care nothing about, in area you will not weork in, means s*** compared to what the second job offers.

presumably you see this and just want confirmation.

I can understand the dilemma you are facing. It is always difficult to choose between two promising research opportunities, especially when they both have their own unique benefits. However, I believe the best way to approach this decision is to consider your long-term goals and interests.

Firstly, it is important to consider your ultimate career goals. Do you see yourself working in experimental astrophysics or theoretical astrophysics in the future? If you are more interested in theory, then it may be beneficial for you to take on the research opportunity with your old professor. This will not only give you a chance to explore your interests, but also potentially lead to a recommendation letter and potentially even a graduate school opportunity at your desired institution.

On the other hand, if you are unsure about your long-term goals and are open to exploring different areas of physics, then it may be worth considering splitting your time between the two research opportunities. This will give you the chance to gain experience in both experimental and theoretical work, and potentially help you make a more informed decision about your future career path.

Additionally, it is important to consider the potential impact of each research opportunity on your graduate school applications. While having your name on published papers is certainly impressive, it is not the only factor that graduate schools consider. Your research experience, skills, and letters of recommendation all play a significant role in the application process. Therefore, I would suggest focusing on the research opportunity that aligns more with your interests and goals, rather than solely on the potential for publications.

In terms of managing your time, it may be helpful to have a discussion with your current advisor and the professor offering the theoretical research opportunity. They may be able to work out a schedule that allows you to continue working in the lab while also devoting time to the theoretical research.

Ultimately, the decision is yours to make. Consider your long-term goals, interests, and the potential impact on your graduate school applications. Whichever opportunity you choose, make the most of it and continue to work hard and learn as much as you can. Good luck!

Related to Torn between Two Research Oppotunities

1. What should I consider when choosing between two research opportunities?

When faced with multiple research opportunities, it is important to consider factors such as the project's relevance to your interests and career goals, the resources and support available for each opportunity, and the potential impact and contribution of your research. You should also consider the time commitment and potential conflicts with other commitments, as well as the potential for collaboration and networking opportunities.

2. How do I make a decision when both research opportunities seem equally appealing?

In situations where both research opportunities seem equally appealing, it can be helpful to weigh the pros and cons of each opportunity, consider the potential risks and rewards, and seek advice and guidance from mentors or colleagues. Additionally, you can try breaking down the decision into smaller, more manageable steps, such as making a list of your priorities and evaluating how each opportunity aligns with them.

3. What if one research opportunity is more prestigious or well-known than the other?

While prestige and recognition can be important factors to consider, they should not be the sole determinants of your decision. It is important to evaluate each opportunity based on its own merits, relevance to your interests and goals, and potential for personal and professional growth. Ultimately, the best research opportunity for you may not necessarily be the most well-known or prestigious one.

4. Is it possible to pursue both research opportunities simultaneously?

In some cases, it may be possible to pursue more than one research opportunity at the same time, especially if they are related or complementary. However, this can also be challenging and may require careful time management and coordination. It is important to consider the potential impact on your workload, productivity, and well-being before committing to multiple research opportunities.

5. How do I decline one research opportunity without burning bridges?

If you have carefully considered your options and have made a decision to decline one research opportunity, it is important to communicate your decision respectfully and professionally. Be honest and transparent about your reasons for declining and express gratitude for the opportunity. You can also offer to stay in touch and consider future collaborations. Remember to be courteous and considerate, as you never know when your paths may cross again in the future.